New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 95

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the depot. I didn't have a copy of the July 1960 RMC. I found one on Ebay and purchased that, so now I have plans for the depot. Thanks for offering to find set of prints for me.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  08:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like youíre all set. Iím always happy to help when I can.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I catch up on this layout Iím re-inspired... that my unlikely projects are in fact achievable. Well done, Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Hawghead
Section Hand

58 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

In the picture showing the North end of the wye, the main line comes off the middle switch and the wye ends in just a short stub track. Is that what the prototype did? I ask because if the mainline came off the end of the switch where the stub track is now, it would eliminate one switch and you could turn an entire train on the wye.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Every time I catch up on this layout Iím re-inspired... that my unlikely projects are in fact achievable. Well done, Mike.

Thank you, Ryan. I missed your post here or I would have replied earlier. I appreciate your kind words. You know, of course, that youíre encouraging my tendencies to go in weird directions. As my parents would say ďYou shouldnít encourage him.Ē

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  6:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawghead

Mike,

In the picture showing the North end of the wye, the main line comes off the middle switch and the wye ends in just a short stub track. Is that what the prototype did? I ask because if the mainline came off the end of the switch where the stub track is now, it would eliminate one switch and you could turn an entire train on the wye.
I
Scott

Scott,

Good question. Iím following a prototype track arrangement. I think the purpose is to turn locomotives. I donít think whole trains need to be reversed. Itís a curious arrangement.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  7:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Thank you, Ryan. I missed your post here or I would have replied earlier. I appreciate your kind words. You know, of course, that youíre encouraging my tendencies to go in weird directions. As my parents would say ďYou shouldnít encourage him.Ē

Mike

Oh Iím encouraging you!! Ice house! Tannery with 4í running of bark piles! Wood chemical plants! Lopez! The Dushore trestle accident! This!:

Or... (LVRR on the Branch near Ricketts)

Or... (On the LVRR in Dushore)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  12:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I like the rustic-looking depots railroads built in tourist areas. And the silk mill is particularly interesting.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  1:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a Silk mill or Rilk('s) Mill? Ether way it"s a interesting building.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to know who the photographer is. His handwriting is distinct and you see his work from all over the region c.1897-1910-ish.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I noticed on the map you posted of Lopez PA that thereís a silk mill. It also appears to be a long narrowish building if we can believe the drawing. Thatís a business I know virtually nothing about. Hmmm.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  3:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~pasulliv/sullivancountyfolk/scf2/lopez/lopez_text.htm

That website is pretty tricky to find in searches. Interesting reading, lots of photos, including the silk mill. Women labor force. I donít know much about them either.

This one is mostly text.

http://lopezpa.com/lopez-history/
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh_Valley_Silk_Mills

Big business in the Lehigh Valley.

Also... I learned that the process of producing silk is known as 'throwing'. So now I know that when I see a 'throwing mill' on a Sanborn map or on the side of a historic structure, it was part of the silk industry.

Here's the small mill in Lopez. Built in 1914. Nice model-sized industry.

Go to Top of Page

brian budeit
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what little I know, live silkworms in cocoons were brought over from China, and express shipped from the west coast to the eastern silk mills. Pretty sure it was the Southern Pacific that had specific cars, that looked like short baggage cars, to carry the cocoons. If any of this needs correction, and someone can add to it, please correct me. Years ago an importer brought in a run of brass silk cars, all I've presented was from what was in the ad for the cars, at least what I remember.

brian b
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  10:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting about the silk mills. Completely new to me. Thank you, Ryan.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 95 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000