New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  08:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple shots of my depot. When I built it I had no clear photo of the roof. There appeared to be two different types and I knew shingles made no sense on the overhangs so I did metal. Photos Iíve seen subsequently confirmed my choice.

I was building it for a contest and therefore did an interior; the furniture is elsewhere. This was one of the structures I did for my MMR.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5798 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice station and covered bridge Mike.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Nice station and covered bridge Mike.

Thanks, Frank. However, the depot is mine but the covered bridge is the fine work of Bill Gill. He described its construction in the October RMC, if memory serves me correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3728 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that depot as well Mike. [:-thumbu]

How did you accomplish the curve in the roof?
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  10:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I like that depot as well Mike. [:-thumbu]

How did you accomplish the curve in the roof?

Carl,

Thank you. The roof is built up with rafters, etc. like the prototype. I built a jig to glue up multiple pieces of stripwood at different angles for each rafter, then sanded them to shape. I think I used overlapping pieces of stripwood, six or so in all. I made about twenty of them.

It was about 25 years ago.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8265 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My recollection, and the photo here confirms, that the padoga part of the roof was done in metal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/27956025569/in/photostream/

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  12:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp looking Depot

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  2:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Sharp looking Depot

Bob

Thanks, Bob!
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job on that depot Michael.

According to Scott's page on this type of station, RMC had plans published by Chuck Yungkurth (sp?) sometime in 1960. I'll have to see if I have that issue.

Oh, BTW, thanks for the close up of the station.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  8:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

According to Scott's page on this type of station, RMC had plans published by Chuck Yungkurth (sp?) sometime in 1960. I'll have to see if I have that issue.

Bernd,

I used plans in a Kalmbach book published several decades ago, now out of print. I assume the plans are a reprint. I'll track down the book and look for clues where you could find them, or else I will get a set to you somehow.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  10:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Vestal station drawings are in the July 1960 RMC.

The book I have has plans for the Wallace NY station. Same type. Apparently the Wallace station drawings were done for the book and had not been published elsewhere.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Vestal station drawings are in the July 1960 RMC.

The book I have has plans for the Wallace NY station. Same type. Apparently the Wallace station drawings were done for the book and had not been published elsewhere.

Mike

Thanks Michael. I'm going to have to dig through my magazines. I'm sure it's buried somewhere, just haven't looked yet. If I can't find it I'll let you know. Thanks.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that I have the track in place (I made a small change a couple of days ago) I've been dropping feeders to the bus under the layout. I'm doing this for every segment of track and each turnout.

Here is a view of the north end of the wye, showing the mainline going off in the distance, and a turnout going off to the left for a branch. I'm not sure how track for the branch will be aligned so I've not started on that. I've not wired the frog on that turnout.

Here's the turnout on the south end of the wye:

The mainline south of the wye will have a turnout to serve a freight house:

Yes, I have a little work to do there. I will add a small triangular bit of benchwork once I've worked out the track configuration here.

I still have the east end of the wye to wire. I've been concentrating on the mainline so that I can run trains from one end to the other.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2965 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Your depot looks good there along the wye. Can you reach it there to lift the roof off to show all your interior work?
Don't you love it when you think you understand how something ought to have been constructed (like the metal roofing on the overhangs) and it's confirmed later in photos!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  11:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, Your depot looks good there along the wye. Can you reach it there to lift the roof off to show all your interior work?
Don't you love it when you think you understand how something ought to have been constructed (like the metal roofing on the overhangs) and it's confirmed later in photos!

Bill,

Thank you. Yes, I can reach it easily. However, it is a temporary stand-in until the day I build a model of the Alderson PA depot. I've been collecting photos and plans of similar depots. At that point, the current depot will go back onto the shelf, unused but not unloved.

Yes, it's a good feeling to be right occasionally, especially when a conclusion is based on reasonable and rational inference; that is so seldom true.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000