Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

railman28
Fireman

USA
5552 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice change. It adds a lot in many ways. More scenes, more operational point, better presentation.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  2:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

That's a nice looking depot at the wye. Is that a kit or scratch built?

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2965 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I got a 72" X 14" custom backdrop from Joey Ricard at Trackside Scenery. Using GIMP, I exactly recreated the long gone 1950s prototype scene behind the E. Shoreham, VT covered bridge, for the NEB&W layout.
That backdrop can be seen in the opening photo for the article about Backdating the Shoreham bridge in the October RMC.

Joey's print looks terrific and was a very reasonable price. He has a good selection of backdrops in different series that can be connected together in multiple ways and wih other of his series with transition panels.
Here's link to his backdrop info booklet: http://www.tracksidescenery.com/share/gsb.pdf
(Moderators, I have no connection to Joey Ricard or Trackside Scenery other than being a satisfied customer.

model

prototype

How I recreated this scene will be an article in the February issue of RMC. The backdrop will go up as the NEB&W gets rebuilt and expanded in its new location.

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8727 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  3:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, now I understand wye you had to make these changes to your layout.
It's all coming together quite well, keep at it!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

868 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Very nice change taking place, Mike! You're going to love the operational aspects a wye brings to the table.

Bill:

Nice scene!

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  10:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everybody!

Bob, I think I have less track and fewer turnouts in this new configuration, but operationally it offers more options.

Bernd, itís a scratchbuilt model of a DL&W prototype. The kit is actually available in plastic but with a conventional roof with straight eaves.

Bill, thank you for the info. Iíll look for your article. I really enjoyed the one you did on the covered bridge; it motivated me to resubscribe to RMC after letting it lapse for a couple of years.

Greg, I had to make rather more changes than I originally planned, but as you say, wye not?

Andre, nice hearing from you. Wiring a wye is no fun but youíre right, itís worth the effort for the sake of operations. Gives everything a purpose.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

868 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  10:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Suggested wiring of the wye:

* Make the tail track the "turning track".

* Use a double pole/double throw toggle wired for reversing polarity to the tail track.

* Assign toggle direction according to entry to the tail track. "Left" for polarity lined for entrance to the tail track via the left leg of the wye. "Right" for polarity lined for entry to the tail track via the right leg of the wye.

To use:

* If entering the tail track from the right leg of the wye, flip the toggle for the "Right" leg of the wye.

* Enter the wye fully, and quickly flip the reversing toggle to the "Left" wye leg. (Engine doesn't have to be stopped to do this.)

* Stop, reverse the direction of the engine via the "Direction" control, and line the switch (turnout) for the left leg of the wye.

* Leave via the "Left" leg of the wye.

You're finished turning that engine! Plus, the wye switch and wye toggle are correctly aligned for re-entering the tail track from the "Left" leg of the wye. (The reversing toggle will have to be flipped back to the "Right" for the right leg of the wye IF the next move is to enter the tail track via the right leg of the wye.)

Easy peasy.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Thank you. Thatís more-or-less what Iíll do. In fact, I have a 3 pole double-throw center off toggle so that I can also change polarity of the frog.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8266 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, are you running DC or DCC? (If DCC, why not a frog juicer for changing polarity of the frog?)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  10:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

are you running DC or DCC? (If DCC, why not a frog juicer for changing polarity of the frog?)

Dave,

Yes, Iím running DCC. I donít think a toggle is any more work than installing the frog juicer etc. so Iím sticking with old technology for now.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  2:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I was curious about that DL&W station. So I did a Google search on DL&W stations and came up with this. Interesting thing is it shows pictures of the station with both straight roof and the pagoda roof. And it was NY state near Dansville, NY.

https://twainsgeography.com/content/perkinsville

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8266 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  2:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, interesting! It's pretty clear to me that the roof was chopped back for some reason.

Erie-Lackawanna Historical Society has a kit for a pagoda roof station, which I need to modify to the station in Wimmers PA where my great-great grandfather was stationmaster. Somewhere I have measurements for the Wimmers station, which is (beautifully) preserved as the Parish House for a church in Hamlin PA.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6360 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, the wye I've got planned for the last phase of my B&M Eastern Route will have automatic polarity switching for both DC and DCC: My push-pull rod mechanisms use slide switches to latch and switch frog polarity. It's easy to substitute a 3PDT slide switch for the normal SPDT. I'll use the extra poles to connect the tail track to the proper side of the wye.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6122 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  10:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, this site has many photos of these depots, both as built originally and in later years: https://scotlawrence.github.io/pagoda/index.html
Knowing what weather is like in upstate NY, I imagine the almost horizontal roof portions became a maintenance nightmare. Iíve seen photos where a flat roof inclined at a small angle was built over the curved portions. I think the roofs were truncated as you mentioned.

Dave, that sounds like a good plan. Without the pagoda roof the station has a generic old-time look.

James, I think my approach will be a little different but not much. I think changing routes will be a two stage procedure of throwing the points and flipping the toggle. Where the turnout is located I canít do anything under the layout.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Ah yes Scott Lawrence. I've been to his site a few times. Nice link and great pictures. I can see where that roof line might cause some problems in the winter with snow melt and then freezing again. I'm sure that took a toll on the roof.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000