Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

jbelwood
Crew Chief

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was recently browsing through one of the other model railroad forums and came across a post by WoundedBear. His topic was "Can't judge a model by its cover". He took a plastic Life Like kit and beautifully enhanced it into a great looking model for his layout.

This got me to thinking about a different twist to that idea. How many of you have taken an older plastic structure kit and bashed it into something more to your liking? In my case it was the TYCO Rolling Lift Bridge. Pictured below is the original box cover followed be my
kit bashed/updated rolling lift bridge over the Puyallup River on my Olympic & Puget Sound Railway.

OK guys, now that I have you thinking, how about showing us some of your work with this topic in mind. We all love pictures.

John Elwood

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31808 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on that upgrade, John. I'll look through my photos and see what I may be able to add to the thread.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

northern6400
Fireman

Canada
3489 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  09:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John great idea. What you have done with the bridge is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing. So many ideas, so little time.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15469 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  10:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a beautiful transformation, John. You've shown us it pays to open your imagination.

George
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3628 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  12:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't do much plastic modeling but, John, very nice job on that bridge! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  1:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, that's all I do,but I don't take many pictures, this is one kitbash using a concor house an atlas lumber shed, an ihc farmhouse, a lifelike building and an ihc switch tower. sorry not the best photo or angle. mh
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/bxcarmike/media/2e878173-ad22-4ea1-b440-9f8dc5d6a6ae.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/bxcarmike/media/0536e55b-1507-4a69-8ffc-62b8443748bd.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/bxcarmike/media/a24f1364-681f-4e4f-bf2d-0d0e0c5dd9e6.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8498 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  1:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John,beautiful work on transforming that TYCO bridge!
I like plastic kits,they go together way faster then craftsman style kits.
And you can always add things to them,to change the original look.
These are Bachmann's Spectrum series of city structures,that I built about 10 years ago,for a model railroad club.
To try and give them my own look.I added air conditioners in some of the windows,and even a friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

The trade tower from them & modeled by me.

And I am currently kitbashing 3 Walther's Municipal Pier warehouses together for my Magoun Pier display.
It will be about 43" inches long when completed.
The 2 standing sections will be each end of this warehouse,and the walls laying flat will be the side walls.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 08/04/2013 1:39:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3628 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  1:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John,

You must have ESP- you knew what Greg was working on before all of us!

Sorry Greg-cat's out of the bag!
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8498 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,I haven't even got the cat out of the hat yet,never mind the bag. [:-banghead]

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

jbelwood
Crew Chief

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  2:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bruce, Chuck, George, Mike, Carl and Greg for your inspiring comments.
I never tire of hearing from other experienced modelers and seeing how creative
they can get. I was hoping that this thread would grab the attention of those who
might have some of these old kits stashed away and never to be built. Perhaps I
started something.

John
Go to Top of Page

EM-1
Engine Wiper

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  2:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well guys, GREAT thread....John, GREAT work on that old TYCO lift bridge, you can't even tell it was TYCO! NICE work!

So, with that said, I have to chime in on my relation to this. I am ALWAYS kitbashing, something from what it was, to be something else, Why? To make it something other then the "normal" if you can call it normal. I like things to fit the space, or fit the prototype I'm modeling.....Not always 100% prototype, but at least, close!

So, I took this:

And added my own twist, B&O Eastern flavor to it, to become this:

Which a few of you have seen, already, in a older posting I had made!

THEN to give you something else, I took this:

Which is the Life-Like Belvedere Hotel, I had 3 of them! I took the 3, and looked at them, on 2 of the kits and was going to stack them, to make 5 stories, and make it a "taller" Hotel. Upon looking, its to narrow of a building to make a Hotel from, and then got to thinking, and took the extra story, to make a single story bank, which is being built, BUT the rest were made into a school! Which, I'm still building and working on, BUT, here is the progress of the new school:

In that picture, the "towers" are not connected, BUT, are sitting in place as they are right now (I have to get new pictures on the progress) of what this building looks like currently as it has also "grown a single story on BOTH towers... STILL unevenly stacked, purposely to give some character....I have also scratch built the rear of the building, fire escape that is better looking then the factory one that Life-Like supplied with the original 3 kits!

I also have changed multiple details along the way!

As it is, it seems that all I get done doing is changing the factory product to something other then, but...... ITS FUN! Isn't that what the hobby is about? Or is supposed to be about.....
Go to Top of Page

TC
Engine Wiper

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three in the works right now. The first involves the Roco Honest John Rocket Launcher, The second involves 3 AHM kits (Boarding House, Ramsey Journal & Machine Shop), and the third a mashup of some Vollmer buildings.

I will admit the ideas were not originals from my own brain, but they are good I think and are what introduced me to the world of kitbashing - I will build them as
sort of a tribute... I may start a thread on it when I fully dive into it.
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8498 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  3:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work John,on that station and with all of your other structure conversions as well!
Just goes to show,what can be done with plastic kits,if a little time & care is given to them.

I recently came across some kits that I built as a kid, and found at a train show.
They have been released over the years by different plastic model companies,but are well worth picking up if you come across them.

I can't tell you how many articles that I've read about using these 2 kits as a starting point for kitbashing structures.
I picked these up for 10 bucks apiece.

They have some of the nicest brick walls ever made in plastic!

There! I feel much better now,that I have this plastic kit compulsion, out in the open on a craftsman forum!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 08/04/2013 3:04:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4674 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  3:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Guilty here too! Used one of those old "seen everywhere" abandoned coal mines on an N scale layout ... didn't do much except tried to keep the colors somewhat subdued ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
15000 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, that was a super idea and re-build. I remember that from your outstanding DVD and the water number markings reasoning.
This is something I did to an old Tyco kit. Re-painted the rock structure, re-did the warehouse section and put Campbell shingles throughout.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15469 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  4:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've started a fascinating thread, John. I'm impressed with what you guys have done.

This row of buildings were made for the back of a module I built. They are all plastic kits except for the brick wall, second from the left, which is plaster. I cut the buildings so they would fit the backdrop and added details, to fit the scene and hide the kit's original identity.

George
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000