New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TC
Engine Wiper

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know good resources for architectural drawings for prototype railroad structures? Particularly for the fallen flag Louisville & Nashville line. I'd like to find plan view, elevation view, and/or technical drawings for the station on Henley Street & Western Avenue in Knoxville. It was renovated for the 1982 World's Fair.

Not sure if this was the right part of the forums to post in, but it's the closest to topic in my mind...

jbvb
Fireman

USA
3153 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might have asked it in "Reference & Research", but it's not critical. The first place I'd ask is the L&N (or CSX or Family Lines) historical society. The second is the city of Knoxville, since they probably had some involvement with the Renovations and they certainly had some kind of sketch giving basic dimensions for their tax records. The third place is the people who have Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps on line (for money) or the Knoxville Public Library (most libraries got a free copy of local maps). Finally, ask around to find out where the ICC Valuation Survey data for the L&N, or Tennessee wound up - it's often a local university. This probably includes dimensions and enough of a drawing to compute the volume of the building.
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
5585 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  09:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are four L&N stations listed in the Historic Buildings of the Library of Congress collection http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?hh:100:./temp/~ammem_EKPj: however, none are for the Knoxville one but may be similar.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Fireman

USA
6701 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  09:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a very active L&N Historical Society that might be able to help you. There are also Yahoo groups on the L&N.
Go to Top of Page

CN6401
Fireman

Canada
1428 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found the Library of Congress has quite a series of pictures and plans.
Ralph

Growing old is mandatory . . . growing up is optional
©
A Touch of Yesterday©..............Weathered Rail Cars.
Go to Top of Page

TC
Engine Wiper

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  10:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that there was an application for the building to be on the National Register of Historic Places. Maybe there is a place to check on that?
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
3153 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's sure to be on file somewhere, but I couldn't say where - Knoxville probably got a copy, you could start with the city's Planning Office or equivalent. They could also tell you how to get any dimensions available from tax records. Those I've seen haven't included drawings, but you may get some pictures.

You might also want to look at Cameron's thread on making drawings from pictures: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40321
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000