Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  10:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
This last June, I received the sad news of Geoff Nott’s passing. Somehow I missed this information here on the forums.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40137&whichpage=1

I have followed Geoff’s work over the years in magazines (such as his article on Smuggler’s Cove in the May/June 2013 Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette) and online sources and have always been inspired by his work.

I’ll continue in a second post to allow for editing.

Michael

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  10:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 2010 I started a project that was to be an O scale version of ‘Shenandoah Crossing’ that was at one time offered by Evergreen Hill Designs in HO. You can view the thread here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30976

At the time I planned to make some changes but keep the basic design intact. I went so far as to create a foam core mock up. I spent well over a month living with the model. For some reason things just didn’t feel right. In my haste I’d try to compress the structures too much.

While I was still in the early planning stages Dan Pickard was kind enough to provide me with the plans and instructions from the original kit. I guess I already had my ideas ‘set’ and didn’t really pay attention to how much I’d compressed the foot print. The basic foot print I’d come up would fit on a piece on 8 ½ x 11 paper. Properly scaled up the footprint is 10 ¾ x 13 ½. In the end the project got put on a back burner.

Fast forward to 2013. For the last year or more I’ve been bouncing around trying to find a project that really holds my attention without success. Then a number of things came together and I remembered what Geoff did with his version of Shenandoah Crossing. I dug out the plans Dan provided and some photos shown here on the forums.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19358

I chose to throw out my earlier ideas and build the structures more in line with what Geoff had done. For those not familiar with it Shenandoah Crossing is two structures grouped together. One is a gas station and garage, the other is a store or ‘Emporium’ as it is called. In honor of Geoff, the Emporium will be named Nott’s Emporium and the garage will be named Geoff’s Garage.

Ok so I’m inviting anyone who would like to join me in a Geoff Nott inspired build to jump in. It can be any scale and any subject. It doesn’t have to be your version of one of Geoff’s builds, just something you feel shows his inspiration. As this is summer (in this part of the world) and modeling slows down for some of us, there is no time limit. If you already have a work in progress that fits the bill feel free to jump in and share. I never met Geoff but from what I’ve heard he was always ready to share his knowledge. I think this is the greatest way to say THANKS GEOFF!

Let the modeling begin.

Michael

Edited by - silveradonorthern on 07/03/2013 10:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  11:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in my original thread Phil Morrow (rckwallby)posted some pictures of Geoff's build. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here. If he does I'll remove them.

It has been a while since I posted pictures to the forums so I hope I remember the process.

Michael

Edited by - silveradonorthern on 07/03/2013 11:32:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  11:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are four more pictures.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

danpickard
Fireman

Australia
1333 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  03:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
G'Day Michael,
I'd forgotten about those plans, but glad they are still of use :) Geoff's rendition of this kit was great, and I'll hopefully also have room for a similar structure if I eventually get my shed built to house a new layout. In the mean time, I'll be having a "Notts Creek" as my memory to Geoff (as well as some parts of the old Red Stag that I just managed to collect!). Will be looking forward to the build, which will hopefully highlight any issues to look forward too when I eventually get around to a similar version.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/
Go to Top of Page

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Australia
685 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  12:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

You're most welcome to repost and use the photos of Geoff's Shenandoah Crossing.

I like what you're doing. Geoff was a good friend of mine.
Our history goes back to the '80s when we were both members of Prospect MRRC in Sydney.

Look forward to see what you do.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, this seems like a really fitting tribute to Geoff. It might be nice if you posted a footprint or plans for folks that would like to join in but don't have them. I too have them as well as the HO kit and it is on my short list of things to build. I have made a cardboard mockup of the structures and this is as far as I have gotten for about a year and half. If I can find some time during my busy summer work schedule I might join you, but it will be very slow if at all. I'll be watching your build in the mean time. Pat

Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  07:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's where I left off.
The insert a file paper clip is not working for me??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316529@N00/9215827688/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316529@N00/9215837350/

Edited by - belg on 07/05/2013 07:23:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  2:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Dan for the plans and information you provided. Even more so now they will be extremely valuable.

Thanks Phil for allowing the use of your pictures.

Pat feel free to join me even if your progress is slow. I'm not a fast builder and with summertime here even slower.

It might be nice if you posted a footprint or plans for folks that would like to join in but don't have them.

I wish it was that easy. Forum rules and copyright issues won't allow me to post a scanned image from the original plans. To complicate matters even more I can't find my CAD drawings of the footprint which would allow me to show scale dimensions. Third for some reason I can't see the pictures I posted back in 2010 All I see are black X's.

When I started this project a few days back I realized I needed to draw the foot print out on something bigger than a standard sheet of paper. I drew up the O scale foot print on graph paper but it's too large to fit my scanner. [:-banghead]

I'll continue to pursue this but may just end up listing the dimensions.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23011 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, this the CAD drawing you're talking about?

Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  9:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Just a bit ago I found my CAD drawings on a flash drive. I've made changes to the drawing to represent the original (correct) footprint. I need to mark in the scale dimensions then I'll post them.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  11:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday after over a year and a half I was able to get some 'real' modeling done. For the first time in a very long time I was able to get into the zone and just model. I think I may have clocked in over 4 hrs. worth. I ran a few errands (while waiting for glue to dry) in the afternoon, then jumped right back into the project. IT FELT GREAT!!!

I was able to quickly draw out the dimensions for the boardwalk, then jump right into cutting and gluing things together. Before the day was over I completed the section that runs across the front and side of the gas station portion. If you look at the pictures you will see the boardwalk has two 45 degree corners which make it a three sided affair. The planks run at a 90 degree angle to walls so in the corners one has to figure out how run the wood. I chose to do it the same way Geoff did. It worked out pretty good. Sorry no pictures to show yet.

Next up is to build the boardwalk in front of the emporium. It is a little more complicated or more to the point more time consuming.

That all for now

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17652 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  03:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, it's good to see you back at the benchwork. I'm looking forward to see what you'll do with this project and I find you've chosen a great title for the topic.
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
6451 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Glad to hear you are back at the workbench and what a fitting tribute to Geoff. While I never knew him I have always admired his work. I'll be following along with great interest.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8372 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael,this looks like a very fitting tribute to Geoff Nott.
I never met Geoff myself,but I have admired his work!
Best of luck with this memorial project,I will one of the many watching.

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Frederick, Ron & Greg (and anyone else I may have missed) thanks for your support. It means a lot to me.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000