New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Will_Annand
Crew Chief

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Will_Annand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in Full agreement Dan, the Eureka is one beautiful lady.

--
Will Annand
Modeling the CVR in N Scale.
www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html
Go to Top of Page

Gerry
Engine Wiper

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone's interested in seeing some "up close and personal" shots of the Milwaukee Road 261, visit http://www.twincitiesdivision.com/261-1.htm .

Our local NMRA Division got a "closed door" tour of her last Spring when she was in for servicing. Shots include looks inside the smokebox and firebox!

Gerry (MMR #346)
Go to Top of Page

Cigarguy
Fireman

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOOP! Bringing up an old poll as I go through the archives. The best steamer has to be PM 1225, the featured star of the motion picture The Polar Express. Also, it is housed about 20 minutes from me so I get to see it all the time. Woot!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  01:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What? The old workhorse L&N 142(That would be 152) 4-6-2 pacific at the KY railway musem not it the poll.
Jon R. Gearhart

Edited by - LandNnut on 10/28/2007 01:47:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5687 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  03:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I chose the SP&S for reasons that are beyond me; but am surprised at the small number of votes for the most "beautiful engine in the world" the SP GS-4

John
Go to Top of Page

bitlerisvj
Fireman

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  11:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, did you forget about Pierre Marquette 1225, a Van Sweringen Berkshire. Also was the prototype for the Polar Express. See:
http://www.nmra.org/2007/specialevents.htm
This one is always in perfect working order and is made so it cun be run every year. I hope this one never goes into mothballs. I am hoping to be one of the lucky ones to ride behind it next summer.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4763 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to say that it is the A&WP #290. Pretty Pacific. Even though we have UP 844 and 3985 out here in Colorado.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8352 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!! CLEARLY the large steam loco consortium has conspired to limit the selection!! [:-bigmouth] [:-irked] [:-bigmouth] This OBVIOUSLY has been designed to shut out such great historic national steam treasures as The East Broad Top and Cumbres & Toltec/Durango & Silverton Mikes. [:-gnasher] To me, the NG Mikes are steam jewels.

Edited by - slimrails on 09/27/2006 1:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10263 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  08:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Pere Marquette 1225 fan here. Have seen it many times beginning in the 1960s when I started going to Michigan State and it sat next to Spartan Stadium lettered for the C&O. It's restoration started there ~1970 and it then was moved to Owosso, MI where it remains based. www.mstrp.com

The steamer I'd most love to see is the UP Challenger and anything in Southern Rwy. green.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/28/2006 09:00:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

boyd
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  02:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Send boyd an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brakie

For me there is only one locomotive that is worth watching and a thing of beauty-The NKP 765! No others need to apply or even come close to that engine! .Not even my beloved PRR K4s! [:-weepn]

There is something about the 765 that says SPEED and POWER.I would have love to been able to see these Berks on the NPK in every day service but sadly never made to NKP country when I was a kid.Happily I have rode behind the 765 and been in her cab.I will not mention the many times I have chase this engine.

My second favorite is the 1218.The 611 and the 614 doesn't appeal to me.I also like the 1225 and have seen the 1225 in action-double headed with the 765 no less! [:-jump2][:-jump2][:-thumbu] [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

x
Go to Top of Page

boyd
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  02:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Send boyd an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomPM

I have only seen three of these locomotives in action. They are NKP 765, N&W 1218, and N&W 611. I voted for the N&W 611 because of the Roanoke 1987 NRHS Convention that I attended. The locomotive preformed flawlessly and just looked great. My vote was close choice over the 1218, which I also rode behind at that convention. I was awed by it sheer size and power.

x
Go to Top of Page

boyd
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  02:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Send boyd an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomPM

I have only seen three of these locomotives in action. They are NKP 765, N&W 1218, and N&W 611. I voted for the N&W 611 because of the Roanoke 1987 NRHS Convention that I attended. The locomotive preformed flawlessly and just looked great. My vote was close choice over the 1218, which I also rode behind at that convention. I was awed by it sheer size and power.

anyone please help me i road the 1218 april 25 1987 excursion it was the mudd slide i played music in the n&w string band the other older guys are all dead now i was real young and played guitar and sang and played fiddle i need viedo of us playing music on that ride i will pay thanks boyd email me musicmanb@aol. thanks to all

x
Go to Top of Page

CEFinkJr
Engine Wiper

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having seen only a few of these in action, I didn't feel I should vote in the poll.

It did surprise me, though, to see so few votes for UP 3985 and hardly any mention of this magnificent example of late steam. Judging by the number of votes for and mentions of N&W, NKP, PM, and MILW steam, I suspect the poll may have been skewed by a lot of responses from Easterners.

I saw and "chased" UP 3985 between Dallas and Fort Worth when she was here a number of years ago. As I watched her rearrange her train before leaving Dallas for the last time, I got this mental image of a very nimble elephant in a tutu. Before any UP fans flame me, I mean no disrespect to 3985 (notice, I have never referred to "it"). 3985 was doing what was required of her, doing it with grace and some Úlan, but obviously not being challenged (no pun on her name).
Go to Top of Page

hvig
Crew Chief

USA
986 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hvig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You had better put the Eureka on the poll. Here's another write in vote!
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always been a closet Milwaukee fan.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000