Drew
Fireman

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for moving that John!
I have another one here, & this time I'll post in the right spot![:-ashamed]

BALLASTING TRACK ON THE POOR FORK RR

I thought I'd do a little step-by-step of the method I use to do the track ballast on my N scale layout...
I ballast the track after I've done the surrounding scenery...the track has been covered with masking tape, so when the tape is removed, there is a small unscenicked area on either side of the track...

For this project, I'm using Woodland Scenics Fine Gray ballast...
I spread the balast with a small paper cup, squeezing the top to form a spout...I por thwe ballast down the middle of the track...I work in small sections, ballasting about 12" of track at a time...

Next, I take a soft brush, & gently brush the ballastoff the tietops between the rails. The eexcess ballast will spil over onto the outsides of the track...I keep adding small amounts of ballast, & repeating this until it looks right to me...now the ballast looks OK like this, but it's still a little too "new" looking for me...the next step will take care of that...

Next, I wet the ballast, but instead of using the traditional "wet water" method, I use a black wash of alcohol & india ink... This "dirties down" the ballast, & (IMHO), blends in better with the surrounding scenery...the wash needs to be 'flowed' on, not sprayed...an eyedropper would work well for this...I use a small bottle that contained a free sampl of liquid detergent...

Next, I flow on a 50/50 mixture of white glue & water out of an old glue bottle...

And here's the finished result...

-Drew-

"Life is all the stuff that happened while you were making other plans."
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13137 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  7:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Drew
No problem in moving your last tutorial.
Since this scenery sticky was started on 2/25/03 there have been 973 page views which puts this sticky in the top 25 most viewed topics on this forum.
That means that not only members but guests have been reading this thread.
I would like to thank you Drew for posting three excellent tutorials on subjects that although you model in N scale will work for almost any scale.
However one might need a wheel barrel and a shovel for garden railroading to do ballast.
Again thanks for the great tutorials on 3 very important topics.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25360 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drew,

What a fantastic tutorial on ballasting track! After reading your series of tutorials, I have one comment. "Dave Frary, watch out!"

Bruce

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Fireman

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  5:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce!
Gee, that's awfully high praise, but I don't think I pose much of a threat to Mr. Frary![:-ashamed][:-bigeyes2]
In fact, I consider him one of my biggest heroes!

-Drew-

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25360 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drew

Thanks Bruce!
Gee, that's awfully high praise, but I don't think I pose much of a threat to Mr. Frary![:-ashamed][:-bigeyes2]
In fact, I consider him one of my biggest heroes!

Drew,

I also try to follow his techniques. I have his books, but not his tapes. Have you ever seen them?

Bruce

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Fireman

USA
1173 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Bruse, I haven't seen any of the tapes...
But I too, have a couple of his books, & they are some of the most dog-eared in my collection!
I first got into model railroading back around X-mas, 1992...My wife bought me an HO train set, & one of the first things I did was go to the local hobby shop & while I was there, I picked up the current issue of Model Railroader.
The cover feature was titled "The PRR Middle Div.: A Layout You Can Build" (or something like that) by Dave Frary...
Well, I was hooked! I ran back to the hobby shop, & bought another magazine...this one was Great Model Railroads, & featured the George Sellios' Franklin & South Manchester with photos by Dave Frary!
Well, the rest, they say, is history!
I've spent the last 10 or 11 years striving...mostly falling short, but still striving...to model as well as those guys, in addition to Malcolm Furlow, Art Curren, Mike Tylick, just to name just a few.

-Drew-

Go to Top of Page

Marken
Fireman

USA
2915 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  8:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,

I have a couple of his tapes. I wish they were longer because he tries to fit a lot into a 60 minute tape. I prefer his books, but it is interesting how easy he makes it look with great results.

In memory of Mike Chambers
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13137 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
The following is a copy of a post made by Brian Nolan (inspecbri) on how he make his trees.
I think that it is an excellent tutorial and will help anyone who wants nice looking trees at a reasonable price.

I have been asked to talk about my tree's and how I make them. I'll try hard to explain it well. Mike may have to come in and bail me out a little.

First of all, I use sage brush twigs...not easy to come by in Florida. I get them when I take trips out to the western states. Don't panic, if you don't have access, you can use any twig or sturdy weed that has a complex branch structure. look around fields and small shrubs for good looking twigs and weeds. With the fall coming on, this should be quite easy

I also use Super Trees from Scenic Express. These are used on the Silverton Central and they look great. They come with complete instructions that will help you make great trees.

My Trees Material List:

1) Woodland Scenics Poly-Fiber
2} Woodland Scenics Medium Green {Coarse) Foam
3) Woodland Scenics Light Green {Coarse} Foam
3) Woodland Scenics Turf Blend (Fine)
4) Cheap pump hairspray..the cheaper the better

START:

1) tear off a small piece of Poly Fiber and stretch and tease it out until you can barely handle it. You will get the hang of this part with practice. The trick is that you really don't want to see the fiber when you are done.
You may want to trim the branches to a more tree like look. When you become practiced, you can glue branches to branches for a fuller look.
More on that later. Lets first start with the basic tree.

2) apply this lacy piece to the lowest brach..now spray it with hair spray and take a pinch of the medium green foam and gently sprinkle it from your pinched fingers on the wet fiber. you still want to be able to see through the fibre..just like in nature, you can see through the tree. go easy because you still have other colors and texture to add. resist filling it in on the first go round. Be patient and add a little at a time. Trim the fiber with a small scissors if it doesn't look good or is to big for the branch...work it around until you like it

2)Now,work your way up the trunk. Do this to all of the branches with the medium green.

3)Now, you want to apply the lighter green foam to the top portion of the branches. What we are doing is making false shadows by using the lighter green on top of the darker. Spray a little and add the lighter green. Go easy! you can always add more later. When you are done with these two colors, study it and a little here and ther until it looks good to you.

4)Now, hold the tree and spray it all over again. From above the tree, Lightly sprinkle on the turf blend. Try to keep this away from the interior areas of the tree. This highlights the areas exposed to sunlight and the varied colors gives the tree a believable look.

5) Use a small scissor and trim the little fibers that are sticking out here and there. It doesn't have to be perfect, otherwise the tree will fall apart

Conclusion: I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. You can practice this before before adding the trees to your foreground areas. After making a tree..look at it a couple of days later and you will want to change it little. When your done, you will be thinking of ways to do it better and easier for you. This all takes practice. Remember, trees are model too.

Ultimate Test: Leave your trees outside. If the neighborhood dogs like em, you did real well.

Thank you for asking me to share my method. I call this my method, but I have picked this up from articles and instructions over the years.
You will create your own little methods too.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drew, a few weeks back I sent you a PM about posting your Casey Ridge Tunnel thread in the Archives. You didn't reply, so I don't know if you saw the PM or not. I was reminded of it a few days ago when I saw your tutorial on ballasting track. Let me know if you'd like to save copies of the text and photos in the Archives.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

louis and Sabrina
Engine Wiper

118 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  01:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all: We were just discussing how we were going to model water on our layout. I found some really good information in the last few posts on this topic, also there was a really good article about water in the magazine John sent us with the ARR article..thanks again, John!

A couple of days ago, Sabrina mentioned to me that she'd like it if Santa brought her an aquarium for Christmas (I think "Finding Nemo" had something to do with it!), just then I got a crackpot idea that maybe it would be really cool if we had a waterfall (with real water) coming down a cliff beside the track, then under the track and into the aquarium. I know that with the scale of things, real water in an HO layout would look something like really bad special effects in a B movie, but on the other hand the sight and sound of running water when it gets really dark and cold here might be worth the compromise. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm not going to go too far with making the fish tank look like Turnagain Arm, John, or I'd have to leave the fish high and dry a couple of times a day!....Louis
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Many years ago (more than I care to admit) I tried just what you are talking about, with disastorous results.

1. it raised the humidity level near it enough that the track & feeder wires around it rusted (now remember it was steel rail back then)

2. it wicked up into the surrounding plaster and that slowly fell apart.

3. it left stains anywhere that the plaster didn't fall apart and on the wood under the layout.

4. I also ended up having mildew around the immediate area.

Now saying that, If you can control the humidity and have it so that the water is in a completely waterproof area you may be ok. But do remember that the water will evaporate and leave water lines and spots in the containers.
I have heard of other people trying it, in fact John Allen tried it on the G&D but also gave up for simular reasons as myself.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13137 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  3:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following was posted by Drew(our Dave Frary) in another thread on how to make ground cover.
It is another of Drew's great tutorials.

I'll try to show you how I make ground cover...this is really quick & easy, & it's really hard to mess it up!
I think one of the secrets to realistic ground cover is using multiple layers, textures & colors...unless you're modeling a golf course, the ground is very rarely smooth & green.
I've got a scrap of pink styrofoam here, & I'll start out with a spray bottle of water, with a few drops of liquid dish soap in it, some light brown latex paint, some real dirt that I sifted through a window screen, yellow & green fine ground foam, & a glue bottle containing a 50/50 mixture of white glue & water...

First I paint the foam with the latex paint, & then sprinkle the dirt into the wet paint...try to cover most of the paint, but it's no big deal if you miss a spot or two...

Next, lightly spray the area with the water bottle...(it just needs to be damp, you don't want to create a mud hole!)

Next, flood the area with the 50/50 glue mixture...

Now sprinkle on some of the ground foam...

Now, I throw in a couple more different textures...the first is what I call my "debris bowl"...it's a big bowl filled with dried leaves, twigs, small pebbles, pieces of ground foam, & other things left over from other scenery projects. I also have another container with some course green ground foam...

I wet the area again with the water, & flow on more of the 50/50 glue, & sprinkle on more layers of "debris", & course ground foam...

Here's the finished result...you can see different layers, textures, & colors...

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25360 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  8:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, another great tutorial! Thanks to Drew for taking the time to illustrate the technique, and thanks to John for posting it here.

Bruce

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

The_Muenks
New Hire

5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  9:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit The_Muenks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello. I wonder if you guys can help me with something. I was on a long search for amusement park rides and scenery in N scale with little success. durring that search I came by this site.
The ferris wheel is fairly common, but I can't find a carsoul with much information on it to let me know it's moterized, nor can I find any of the N scale conterparts to the wealth of HO carnival and circus structures.
Can someone help me?
My e-mail is kevin_tm@yahoo.com
Thanks

(sorry if this message was repeated. i've been having some trouble submiting the reply)
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13137 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Muenks

Hello. I wonder if you guys can help me with something. I was on a long search for amusement park rides and scenery in N scale with little success. durring that search I came by this site.
The ferris wheel is fairly common, but I can't find a carsoul with much information on it to let me know it's moterized, nor can I find any of the N scale conterparts to the wealth of HO carnival and circus structures.
Can someone help me?
My e-mail is kevin_tm@yahoo.com
Thanks

(sorry if this message was repeated. i've been having some trouble submiting the reply)

Hi
Sorry I took so long getting to this thread as I have been under the weather recently.
I did a search of the Walthers web site and for N scale I did not find anything.
I would suggest that you repost your question to the Small Scale Forum as there are quite a few N scale modelers (I am not one) who might be able to steer you in the right direction.
I deleted the extra posts for you since they were all the same.
Sorry I can not be of more help.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000