Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

bluenose
New Hire

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modules are Atlas 80 flextrack, new sectional layout will be Atlas 55 with #7 Fast Tracks turnouts.
Go to Top of Page

RailSpikeTie
New Hire

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit RailSpikeTie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like Peco code 55. If Atlas did not have the problem with their code 55, I would have went with it.
Go to Top of Page

Nscale13fr
New Hire

11 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  3:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atlas C55 for me.
Peco is good but not realistic for US railway
Go to Top of Page

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Micro Engineering c.40 and 55 flextrack. M-E switches and some hand-made M-E rail turnouts. Atlas #10 are nicely made but some of my older wagons hit its spike heads (does not happen on M-E turnouts...).
Go to Top of Page

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Antonio!
Go to Top of Page

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  07:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Cowcatcher. Nice company here !!
It's surprising how few of you mentioned the Micro Engineering range. I had supposed this would be a favourite. No-one is Spain actually use M-E, but some Atlas. Some use Unitrack (but that's a joke) and most modellers stay with European brands like Peco, Roco, Fleischmann (ballasted) and Trix(N).
I love M-E flexible track (both c.55 and c.40) and whenever I have showed this to fellow modellers they are left astounded. In fact I have sold part of my stock to them, now that I'm done with my module (see a neighbour topic on the Modelling forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20912)
Best regards,
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11029 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antonio most older stuff and the standard wheels on Microtrains products won't run on code 40 or 55 which is why most people don't use ME or Atlas track in those codes. Changing wheels on rolling stock isn't hard of course but expensive and changing wheels on locos is a major pain. I think those just getting started in N scale are more likely to go with the ME than those already in the hobby. BTW what little I have worked with it and the Atlas code 55 I have found them both to be very fragile and easy to kink and/or break.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/27/2008 08:12:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  11:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tyson; yes, you are absolutely right on the issue of older material and large flanges. I have had this problem as a lot of my material dates from -at least- thirty years back.
This is now off-topic, but as I'm into fiNescaling as well, I took the tough road and changed wheels to fine-thread.
And let me stick another one up to M-E: in my opinion the M-E stuff is remarkably well built, with smaller and finer spike heads than the Atlas tracks and turnouts.
Very best regards,
Go to Top of Page

psteinmetz
New Hire

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our club is using Micro Engineering code 55 flex track and ME code 55 rail and Fast Track jigs for turnouts. We will build approximately 200 turnouts and lay a lot of flex track.
We considered other track, but ME made the most sense to us. We are happy with our decision.

I'm surprised more posts don't favor ME. It looks very prototypical.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11029 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  3:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does look very proto, but as said before too much money and too much work to convert the wheels on one's existing rolling stock and locos for many of us. If I was just starting out and hadn't yet bought the first car or loco I might consider it.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used Atlas instead due to local availability and price. ME would have been my next choice had Atlas not been released.
Go to Top of Page

tjerrard
New Hire

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  4:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit tjerrard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use Atlas code 55 track and turnouts. Less expensive and easy to work with. The turnouts are metal frog which is great for my small engines when the frog is powered.

My rolling stock is all less than 3 years old so no engine problems with the low profile and wheels. What other rolling stock has large flanges gets traded out with lo pro wheels.

No problems with maintaining the track except when the grandson gets excited.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Man
New Hire

49 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dropped my LHS on Saturday to ask the local "experts" about the N-scale track question. They recommend I avoid Atlas code 55 rail unless I were prepared to re-wheel all of my stock.

They recommend that type of Atlas track for experts rather than more ordinary modelers such as myself.
Go to Top of Page

SteamDonkey74
New Hire

1 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  5:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like ME code 55 and 40 hand-laid for looks. I like Atlas code 80 for flexibility and availability and N-Trak compatibility. I like Peco code 80 turnouts for their spring and overall reliability. I like Kato Unitrack for it's quick layout scheming capabilties and robustness.

You can see that I am torn between several worlds of track.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11029 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed your post Mountain Man, I agree with your LHS.
SteamDonkey74 I hope you can pick one or the other so you can get around to building a layout!

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000