The Crew Lounge
 1/4" masking tape?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5680 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  8:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to mask off a small gap for painting and I need 1/4-inch wide tape. I don't want to pull off the paint after I spray. I currently use 3M blue masking tape. Do you guys just cut down the 1-inch tape width to make 1/4-inch wide tape?

John

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  9:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
John
Yup thats what I do, cut it down with nice sharp new blade. there is a Green painters tape too, that works well. I use Floquil paints,but I know green and blue work well with acrylics and craft paints its what my wife uses.

Les
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7124 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  12:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the blue stuff and cut as needed. I also at times use drafting tape, esp if using around chalk applications.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

railphotog
Fireman

Canada
4026 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great way to cut masking tape is to place it on a piece of glass and use a straight edge. New blades help too.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/
Go to Top of Page

Brunton
Crew Chief

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  07:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use it for super-elevation and transitions between different roadbed thicknesses. I found 1/4" masking tape rolls at a good price on the web a few years ago. I don't remember the exact place, but auto painting houses use it extensively. Should be easy to find on line (at least I didn't have any trouble).
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7509 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  09:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check an art supply store, they have masking tapes in thinner widths.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

USA
3006 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use 1/4 inch tape used in the automotive trade it's real thin blue in color it's a little more in cost but you get a lot in a roll. I also used to use scotch magic and it leaves no edge but remember pull it off towards you. Tom
Go to Top of Page

closetguy
Fireman

USA
1855 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  5:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just buy 1/4" masking tape. It's less expensive than 3/4" and I don't need to fumble with cutting strips that way. Also, one you stick the adhesive it does loose its tack. Blue for area's that the tape will be removed quickly. Green for sensitive surface materials. If you leave blue on to long it will become semi-permanent. I've seen that a lot when painters mask off window glass and than wait weeks to remove the tape. You can buy tape from 1/16" widths in rolls.
Mike M
Go to Top of Page

Jim from Valencia CA
Engine Wiper

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  5:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take the blue tape and cut it to whatever width I need. Like Bob said, use a new sharp blade on glass for best results.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000