Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MudHen 462
New Hire

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In '57 I was stationed in Germany, but I saddled up to the Woolworth counter many times as I grew up.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Mike.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fitter Roger
New Hire

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  8:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the early 80's my Woolworths in Janesville Wi had the lunch counter upstairs over looking the Rock River and MODEL TRAINS in the basement! Mostly AHM and Athearn but it sure was cool. From my parents house it was a walk along the dying MILW Road, cross the CNW than down town to Woolworths and Larry's and Phil's ice cream and hobby shop.
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Crew Chief

Canada
806 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  9:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Eating at Woolworth's was a real treat when I was a kid, but it usually followed an excruciating visit to the dentist across the street. Remember the slow-speed drill that rattled every bone in your body? The sound still gives me the willies. [:-shake] [:-scared] [:-shake]

Mike, lunch sounds good to me. When? I'll buy!

Pete
in Michigan

Oh man ... I don't mean to get off topic here but ... as a kid, at the dentist, I would get my choice of the highspeed drill or the old rumbling drill. I took the rumbler everytime! The whine of the high speed drill makes my blood crawl! Memories!

Joe <><

Talk about the dentist's drill. It doesn't bother me . . . but . . . before becoming a paramedic, I worked as a producer for a radio station in Ottawa, ON. This particular day I was searching the sound effects library looking for the sound of a dentist's drill. While I was sampling the effect, and unknown to me, the young lady who scheduled the radio ads for the on-air shows happened to walk into the production studio. Well, I was quickly startled as she let out a loud, blood-curdling shreak and abruptly turned 180 degress exiting quick as bunny. After finding her in her office, at the other end of the building, I asked her what was her problem? She confided in me saying she hated the sound of the dentist's drill!

Michael

Edited by - Michael on 08/24/2012 9:55:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

umtrr-author
Engine Wiper

143 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit umtrr-author's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woolworths lives on my N Scale Wilmington & New York Railroad, in downtown Au Sable Forks:

This is the Imex model with some extra roof details. I thought they nailed the sign.

The ones in which we shopped, including the big one not far from Macy's flagship Herald Square Manhattan store, had a lot of trains. The last one I set foot in was in Burlington, Vermont and I picked up a pile of bags of Woodland Scenics ballast.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Schofield
Crew Chief

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  10:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I turned 16 in 57 and got a car so we went to the HoJos (Howard Johnson's) or the A and W drive ins. Man those were the days and while I was still into trains OTHER things occupied much of my attention, as I am sure if you were near that age you may have done some of the same things. My girlfreind and eventual wife bought me my first HO train, a Tyco (Mantua) RTR Mikado for about $15. What no one has mentioned is $1.50/hour was good pay for a HS kid. Great memories though
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

11492 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  1:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone, for the great stories of your memories of this wel-known store with its luncheon. Nice to see the old photos and seeing a Woolworth's modelled as well! [:-apple][:-apple]

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca
Go to Top of Page

RonH56
Fireman

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  09:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In '57 I was only a year old, but growing up In Stamford, Ct we had a big old fashioned Woolworths downtown well into the seventies but the lunch counter was gone in teh late sixties I believe.
I remember it well. We also had The Farm Shop which was kinda like Friendlies, Chicken in a basket was the specialty and of course White Tower and "The Big Whitely"
YUMMM...

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: