New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gall
Engine Wiper

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  7:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume most people know about the 19 locomotives that NS is painting in heritage schemes. Here is a link that will keep you updated as they are painted if interested. I think this is great! The best one so far IMO is the Pennsylvania.

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/Community/Heritage%20Locomotives/

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10888 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  12:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With all due respect Gall, I have to disagree with you on that one. Let me start off by saying that I think what NS did was a novel idea. They are "painting 20 new locomotives in commemorative schemes that reflect the heritage" of those roads, and "each paint scheme will be modified to fit contemporary locomotives while staying as true as possible to the original designs".

If they were trying to capture a 'what if they were still around' scheme, I don't think they did the PRR version any justice. They picked an older scheme that the PRR stopped using in the 50's. Tuscan red was a passenger scheme, whereas DGLE (Brunswick green) was their frieght scheme. Next, due to costs, they stopped the 5 stripe scheme early on as well. Thirdly, they never put locomotive numbers on the body (except on the BP20's, which is where it appears they got this scheme), but rather they were always on the cab sides. Finally, that style of number was discontinued in the early 60's, replaced by the billboard style numbers.

If however they were trying to "reflect the heritage" of the PRR, that's a great scheme to use as it represented the railroad's locomotives in it's heyday, but I just wish they had been a little more accurate by making the number smaller and the word 'Pennsylvania' larger, as it was on the BP-20's.

Maybe I'm being overly critical as it is difficult to adapt a scheme like this to a newer locomotive. And, I will confess, it does feel good to see the PRR on the rails again!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4896 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do have some great semes, now if we could get CSX to do their's.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  9:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A PRR freight engine would need to be painted grimy black with a pukey green tint.

Take a brand new(say)GP35 and a year later it would look worn and weary.

Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7592 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  06:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Southern RR scheme. I wonder what the DL&W scheme looks like? They had both a freight and passenger scheme as well. [:-glasses]
Go to Top of Page

Gall
Engine Wiper

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

They do have some great semes, now if we could get CSX to do their's.

Would also like to see UP do more prototypical schemes like WP "pumpkin" and KCS "John Deere".

EDIT - That's MKT "John Deere"

Steve Dodge

Edited by - Gall on 05/09/2012 2:36:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000