Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last September I was able to go to the Narrow Gauge Convention in Hickory NC. There I saw the Sundance Central Modular RR. I was just blown away at the work on that Layout.
I have been working on a Ho layout in my basement for about 9 months. The work has been going well on it. I have been collecting things for it as I go. Well about 2 months ago I went to a local small train show. There i picked up a few odds and ends.
I ran across a G gauge Passenger car for next to nothing. I needed it like I need a hole in my head. Well I bought it. It really got me wanting to do another Large scale layout. I use to have about 300Ft garden railway in my back yard. I also ran one that ran around the inside of my whole house. Yes I had holes cut in all the walls and it even ran threw to shower. All this was about 15 years ago. Well I moved and the trains did not survive the move. I did keep a couple. I kept a Shay and a Climax. I also Had about 300 ft of aluminum track which I pull up but could not bring myself to throw away.
Well I have been bitten by the bug again. I have been researching the G scale modulars and
Getting the parts and finally started building about 3 weeks ago. My Goal it to keep it small enough to fit in my 12x6x7 Trailer. I ended up with a plane that would give me 16 modules. I will make a rack that I can set each module on its end and lock into place. I need to keep the clearances to about 9" so building and trees will have to be removed for transport. Here is a basic drawing of the layout.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  05:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been hard at work over the last several weeks. The frames were pretty easy to build. I built all the pentagons first. All were glued and nail together using a brad gun. The work went pretty quick.Once I had all the pentagons built I laid them out and and measured for the straight sections. I built all the pentagons to accept removable legs.

Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  05:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My garage Is the only really level part of my yard/drive way. So it put it together, on their legs, several sections at a time. I then drilled for alignment dowels so they would all go together the same each time. I am using 2-2" clamps to hold the sections together...

Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5914 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  06:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice and interesting shape !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9152 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  07:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start! I noticed you were in the Charlotte area. I am on the South side so maybe I will get a chance to see your modules in action.
Larry

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Fireman

USA
6148 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the framing. This will be interesting to foloow.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  12:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the comments. Hope to take it to a couple local shows next next year.
Here is a pic of it up on its legs.

Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW !! I AM IMPRESSED

I have an indoor H scale model RR and I used to belong to a G scale modular club.

To think you are going it alone is mind boggling.

I will surely be following your story.

Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Again. I am going to try to catch up to the current progress in the next few post. I have been luck my wife has been out of town the past few weekends and have got alot done.
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been really reading all I can about making of the Sundance Central and its lightweight construction. I have even corresponded with Richard Schmitt and he has helped me with some info.
I can do no where near the great job they did but I like challenging new projects..

After I got the whole layout on its feet it was time to start adding the 2" foam base. I found out quickly that this was going to be one of the most expensive parts so far.
Everyone around here had their at $39- $45 a Sheet. I went by Home depot and they had theirs at $32 a sheet. They had not had a price increase yet. I opened a Home Depot business account because they had a special running for 10% first purchase. So I bought 12 sheets.
I had figured I could get 1.5 Modules done with each sheet. So I would cut out one whole one and then use the remainder to fill the 1/2 of a second one. Well I found out If I held my mouth the right way I was able to get 2 out of each sheet.
I would lay the module on top of the foam and trace it out and then rough cut with scroll saw and then final cut with my bad saw.

Luckly it rained all day one Saturday.

Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19830 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks you've got some good help.

Interesting project and I'll be following along as you continue to make progress.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  6:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like i said earlier I have about 300 ft of track I pulled up from the old house. It has been laying under the deck for about 12 years. The ties are all bad and have to be removed. The rail and ties were all Micro Engineering. I had run across some Aristocraft ties about 10 years ago really cheap and I bought them hoping one day to put the track back out. Well the rail fits the ties perfectly.
I also bought a rail bender from Sunset Valley.
The rail still had paint on it so when I started I did not paint it again.
I put the first curve modules together and and started laying track following my plan. I used a fixed point and a string to make my radius. t worked pretty well.
At first I was going to glue the track down but decided against it and opted to screw it in place. It is hard to screw it to foam so I took my Dremel tool and put the router attachment in place. I took some 5 ply plywood and cut it to 3/4"x3" I then figured where I needed the to put the hard points. I traced the plywood and then routed the foam out. I then glued the plywood in with 5 minute epoxy. This worked really well..

Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After I got the first 4 modules done I continued around to the the cross over area. I am using Aristocraft switches and I have ordered hand throws for them. I put all the switches together and then marked where I needed the hard points. I routed and applied all the hard point and then the switches/track..

Go to Top of Page

Brook
New Hire

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  06:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work!

I'm really looking forwards to following this build.

I have been looking at an On30 Modular concept for here in Oz, but seeing this makes me want to go 1:20.3, as I first contemplated.

Are you going to run track power or RC...?

Have you a theme or overall goal for scenery etc...?

Brook.

Modular Queensland 2' Tramway in ON30
Go to Top of Page

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
5020 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  08:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Landrel

The last time I visited this thread only the track plan was available.
I thought...mmmmm.... big plans for one guy.

I'm amazed at the progress. Looking forward to seeing this empire unfold over the coming months.

Although I have seen many similar design formats, at a guess, your baseboard configurations maybe adopted by modelers around the world over the coming years. It would suit any scale and perfect for a modular club or group.

While the trackwork is "close to the edge" , the timber framework lends itself to small bolt on add-on scenery modules.

Man !!! You have many hours of fun ahead of you.

Well done. [:-thumbu]

regards "M"

PS. Could you please advise what the dimensions are for the corner section.
I'm not planning on starting a project, just interested.

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_karl_osolinski-_revisited1.html

Edited by - k27rgs on 05/03/2012 08:51:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  10:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brook,
This is a freelance modular of a small town of Beaver Creek. Some point between A logging camp and small mining area. It sees passing Shays and Climax and an occasional passenger train.

I plan on using a DCC system, That I already have.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000