Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Canada
986 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  06:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use Floquil weathered black for all my steamers.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html
Go to Top of Page

reklein
Engine Wiper

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  09:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some pokin around and found an article by Jeff Johnston on tuning brass locos in the July '93' MR. Title is 'Brass Engine Rebirth'. It is general information and not specifically Shay related. BILL
Go to Top of Page

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the research Bill! I bet you that's the article NWSL was talking about.
Go to Top of Page

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Canada
986 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  7:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have every NWSL and as a katsumi Shay owner I'm pretty sure I would remember a repower article. I cannot recall seeing one.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html
Go to Top of Page

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  04:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright Gentlemen, here is the latest. I canceled my NWSL because the motor they suggested is a 1.0mm shaft while the worm that I will be putting on the motor is a 2.0mm. NWSL informed me they don't make a adapter from 1.0 to 2.0 so I can't use that motor. I am now purchasing a Mashima 1029D flat can with a 1.5mm shaft then I can use a NWSL adapter because the have 1.5 to 2.0. Thank you Adrian_Batey for the Mashima suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

rrbillg
New Hire

3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small shay that I'm thinking of selling. No box or anything that tells me what it is. Appears to be a Mich Cal shay for HOn3.
Unpainted, it runs pretty well, nice a slow like a shay should.

I can post pix if you're interested and I can find it.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  2:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill I send you a PM :)
Go to Top of Page

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  11:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This shay is now for sale. It is actually standard gauge HO and I am asking $300. I want to go to the narrow gauge convention and pay off some bills so it's time to get rid of it. Send me a PM and we can work out a deal!
Go to Top of Page

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reworking brass locomotive drive trains is one of my specialties. For years I operated the California Western Locomotive and Car Rebuild shops. I reworked over 160 brass locomotives (no diesels) Now I offer assistance to those attempting such projects. Check out the projects page of my WEB site http://www.cwrailman.com/projects.htmlto see the motor setup I use for the PFM Benson Shay. That setup works for the Benson as well as the Harrington. Take a look at the flat can motor installed in the Heisler, the Climax and again in the Vulcan Duplex. Those are 8900 rpm flat can motors measuring 15mm x 20mm x 32mm with a 2.0mm shaft and you can see how they are mounted.

The motor you would need for the smaller NWSL shay, the Katsumi Shay as well as the Westside Ali San shay is a 12mm x 15mm x 30mm motor with a 1.5mm shaft. This will require NWSL bushings if you want to uses the original gears. In the Heisler remotoring project I show a package of these bushings which NWSL has in various sizes. The small can motors, like the ones with a 1.0mm shaft, have little torque and a much higher operating speed and produce less than acceptable slow speed operation.

You want the biggest motor that will fit with the slowest operating speed to produce good operation.

By the way, a bit off topic but I do not recommend installing the NWSL lower gearing set into the Benson or Harrington Shays. This makes for a highly unrealistic operating speed. The can motor I show with the original gearing will produce great slow operating speeds with a minimum of motor noise.

If you are interested in seeing how such a project is done, start to finish, you can download the PDF file on my remotoring and regearing clinic. In it I show my process for stripping paint off a loco as well as how I rebuilt that rod driven loco. If you have any questions you can direct them to me at the email I have listed on my WEB site.
Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: CWRailman.com
Facebook: CWRailman

Edited by - CWRailman on 09/18/2012 5:55:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: