Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  10:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be it for this evening. I omitted steps 1-3 because they were for the kits rear wheel construction. I glued on the front fenders as called for in step #4. And, I modified the rear of the chassis to fit the Bachmann drive unit to it. I cut off the gray piece shown below the truck chassis picture, and installed a new frame with Evergreen .080 x .080 strip styrene in its place for the drive unit to fit up inside the truck body. It now gives a nice tight fit.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  11:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, I will be following along watching how you build this truck. Just one question for you. If that rear power truck is a tight fit between the frame rails how are you planning on making it pivot so it goes around curves? You might want to set it over one of your curves/turnouts now to see if it will go.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)
Go to Top of Page

centercab
Engine Wiper

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  07:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou - Another neat build! I really like this truck.

-------------------------
Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25233 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great "how-to", Lou.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  09:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Louis, I will be following along watching how you build this truck. Just one question for you. If that rear power truck is a tight fit between the frame rails how are you planning on making it pivot so it goes around curves? You might want to set it over one of your curves/turnouts now to see if it will go.

Phil, thanks for following along on this build.
As far as the rear truck goes, it does not need to pivot, only the front truck has to pivot. The wheel base on this HO scale vehicle from rear to front truck will take the 22" curves.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  09:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by centercab

Lou - Another neat build! I really like this truck.

Thanks Chuck, I'm opened to ideas as we go along with this build.
Something like an idea to build a cow catcher is needed.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  09:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Another great "how-to", Lou.

Bruce thanks. [:-thumbu]
I'm no Les (visman48) but, I'm tring to someday be the HO version of his type of work. [:-eyebrows]

Louis
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
5304 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Louis,
Why thank you, I think you are off to a great start, making rail trucks at smaller scales is much more difficult, and requires more engineering. I think the limitations of mechanisms really hampers railtruck making at that scale. In O scale we can reach back into S and HO, as well as move up to 1/43 and 1/35 stuff too. Its all about the detail you want to live with. I am looking forward to your progress here..

Les

My forum build links;
Big Horn and Moose Creek :http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22704&whichpage=1
Locomotives: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20279
Railcars: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17827
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  3:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Louis,
Why thank you, I think you are off to a great start, making rail trucks at smaller scales is much more difficult, and requires more engineering. I think the limitations of mechanisms really hampers railtruck making at that scale. In O scale we can reach back into S and HO, as well as move up to 1/43 and 1/35 stuff too. Its all about the detail you want to live with. I am looking forward to your progress here..

Les

Thanks very much Les. You are the one that opened the world of Rail vehicles for many of us.
I'm sure you will recognize the screen shot of my computer. I've had this background for a few years now.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
5304 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Louis,
No I am flattered...maybe blushing. That is a great Railcar, what is surprising is that the truck cab is actually a 1/35 plastic military vehicle and the fenders are from a 1/48 model T kid. Fun to build, yes, fun to run even more so.

Les

My forum build links;
Big Horn and Moose Creek :http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22704&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Louis,
No I am flattered...maybe blushing. That is a great Railcar, what is surprising is that the truck cab is actually a 1/35 plastic military vehicle and the fenders are from a 1/48 model T kid. Fun to build, yes, fun to run even more so.

Les

Well I've watched many builds, and there are alot to be proud of. I just always had an eye for this one. You do have a way to make things work. [:-thumbu]

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 03/25/2012 7:38:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12704 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I set the front truck in place to see how it would ride with the rear power unit, and it doesnt seem to look bad. I cant lower it anymore anyway. I had to fabricate a truck bolster from styrene stock, and after cutting back a piece from the oil pan/transmission part, I glued them both down between the chassis front springs and truck cab bottom area. I then drilled and tapped for the front truck screw.
Phil, member (Carrie Creek) asked about how it would run the curves with the power unit being stationary, and I must admit it did have me a bit concerned, because although I have mostly 22 radius curves , I do get down to 18 in the logging areas. I have a picture to show it can, and does handle an 18 radius, but if you run tighter curves you will have to allow for some play/movement for the power unit. I may still file down some room for a swing, and build a hanger from the side fames and screw into the top of the power unit like the 44 Tonner does, and allow it to swing some. Because, Id be pretty upset when the Rail truck is completed, Im having fun, and all of a sudden it jumps the unwilling curve.
So thanks for that info and heads-up Phil.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
5304 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Louis,
I am going to jump in here with some comments. I really like what you have so far, what I would do is find a smaller front wheel set, maybe with open wheels...kinda like the ON30 goose wheels. Look at the early locos for pilot wheels. I also think the engine cowling and fendors work good too. If the frame is open like that..its going to need some detail.

Les

My forum build links;
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11211 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, how do you have the powered truck fastened to the chassis?

George
Go to Top of Page

anubis51
Fireman

Australia
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  8:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis,

Your build is going great!!.

Just an observation though: are the front mudguards (aka wings or fenders) really necessary?

I think that in such a prototype, they would be omitted, firstly as the front wheelset would not throw up enough mud and gunk to warrant their presence, and secondly, they would hamper the personnel access to the engine hood...

Onto your view to creating some degree of pivoting for the drive bogie (aka truck)...I have a Bachmann HO tram drive on hand that I am thinking of using on a rail truck conversion, and it does not pivot at all. All the steering is handled by the front bogie.

I realize that your build is larger than this one (which only has a 2" wheelbase) but this little thang manages the tightest 10" radius on my little tramway with ease.....[:-bouncy]

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000