Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

wvrr
Fireman

6469 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  10:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since so many others have started threads on their layouts, I thought I would do the same. I'll still create separate threads for my projects and post the final results in this thread.

Back in September, Hurricane Irene invaded my basement layout room. Not too bad, but it did damage the carpeting. This is the second hurricane to affect me, the first being Hurricane Floyd in 1999. So, I had to rip out the carpeting, both times. I shoul dhave installed a sump pump after the first time, but I didn't.

After Irene, I did install one. It took our plumber four months to get to us. Meanwhile, my layout was designed to come apart in sections. So, I disassembled the layout in December so the plumber could have easy access to where the sump pump would go.

Then, I needed electrical outlets installed to run the battery backup and normal pump. That was in January.

Then, on Friday, new carpeting to hide the ugly tile floor was installed.

Which brings you up to date! Below is a series of photos of the modules being reassembled. The layout is 13' x 11'2". And, in the left hand side, out of view, is where the sump pump is.

Chuck

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow it looks like you got it back together quickly.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
7693 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh! A fresh clean slate to begin with.
And it looks like you are well underway Chuck.
This will be exciting to watch the WVRR evolve in your basement.Best of luck!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

LVRR fan
Engine Wiper

123 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that view of your layout. Your benchwork looks quite neat and well built. Lucky for you that it is all modular and you were able to relocate it during your flood cleanup. Can you explain a bit how your modules are connected together electrically?

Regards,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30740 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Rick, Chuck. Imagine the headache if you hadn't built it in segments.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17652 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see how you rebuilt it, Chuck.
But what?? A fine modeller like you and there's no scenery, no structure on the layout?!
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
10603 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

You are lucky that you did build it in sections. That would have been a real challenge to take apart then re assemble.

Looks good now. Hope to see more of this as you go along.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6469 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, I know. Shameful that there is no scenery on the layout. But, I really wonder if in the back of my mind, I expected to have to tear down the layout due to another water problem. Now that I have a sump pump installed (with battery backup), that worry has been eliminated.

As for the structures, they are all sitting in another room, waiting to be placed back on the layout. What I never did was fill in the middle of the penninsula with foam board for the city of Wilkes Barre. Prior to Irene, everything was sitting on a board supported by boxes. I'll have to change that.

I'll have to take some closeup shots of what I did to build the layout so it could come apart and back together. Basically, it is all held together with bolts and wingnuts. I installed bolts where the benchwork meets and also where the track meets. And, beleive it or not, everything stayed aligned when I rebolted it together.

As for electrical connections for my switch motors, I did it two different ways. The older section of the layout is the penninsula and I have jumper wires that connect between terminal strips. For the newer section along the wall, there are plugs that I found at Radio Shack.

For the DCC bus wire, I installed outlet boxes at one end of a module. The DCC bus wire is hooked up to the outlet. For the adjoining module, I attached the bus wires to a plug that is inserted into the outlet. And, since the plug and outlets have different sized slots for the positive and negative, it is easy to keep the bus wires aligned between modules.

The other thing I am doing is creating a trackplan illustration of what the layout will look like.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 02/13/2012 11:51:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6469 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  12:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha, since it was lunch time, I could snap a couple photos for the electrical connections.

The first photo shows the modular plugs I found at Radio Shack. Right now, there are only wires in the plug for the switch motors. But, there are enough slots in this type of plug to run other electrical wires of different voltages to power lighting, for example. And, I do plan to do that, someday.

The second photo shows the bus wire connections. It is just a simple outlet and plug. The outlet is attached to the end of one module and a plug from the adjoining module gets plugged into it, maintaining the polarity and continuity of the bus wire.

The other thing you will notice are the markings on the wood. 3F next to the outlet refers to the "third module, leg F". You will see 3F on the leg, partially obstructed by the white plug. This is so I know which sections of the layout get attached to which legs. Also, you will see coding for the size bolts where the layout goes together. That is what "AL" refers to next to the bolts in the upper right. This is the coding I saw on the bolts I bought from Home Depot. Each size bolt had a different code...AJ, AL, and AF.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
22164 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  12:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, congratulations on the restart of your layout.
Your benchwork looks very well built and solid.
Very ingenious the way you've got the modules marked for easy assembly.
Neat idea for the electrical connections too.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

USA
1096 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great going Chuck!! Will be following along wiht intertest, Plus we will need more GSD layouts for tours,,,

Cheers!, Joe
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  2:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW! Very impressive!
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  8:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, I feel your pain with Irene. Glad to see you've been able to get things back together. The layout looks great. Nice work.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chuck
It's nice seeing your Irene recovery. Thanks for sharing your techniques for construction and connections. Looking forward to following your progress.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
13725 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive Chuck! That's not exactly a small layout and to think you engineered it to come apart, just in case! Looks like it paid off too. Believe me, I feel your pain when it comes to wet basements. Been there, done that! Good luck to you. I hope the investment in the sump pump pays off. With that said, I'm looking foward to seeing more pics of your layout.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck,
I have to agree with everyone else's thoughts. Nice to see that you are getting back on track as it were!![:-eyebrows] Look forward to seeing updates in the future.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000