Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there is a certain someone who is not very happy with the logging operation.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5814 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  10:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Byran,

I see I had a lot of catching up to do. the structures and cars look great as does the backdrop.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca

Edited by - elwoodblues on 05/07/2012 10:23:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  3:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a progress report. I started working on the corner with the farthest reach since I won't be able to reach it all once the bridge is installed. It has a rock face and will have dirt/grass/trees on top to blend to the background.

The hill was made with wadded newspaper with plaster cloth on top. Rock molds were attached and sculptamold blended over and textured with a scribe and stiff wire brush. They were given a coat of my general dirt color paint followed by washes of black, burnt sienna, raw umber. Then rust, yellow, brown, gray color pigments were brushed on randomly and set with alcohol. Dirt has been sprinkled on top. Next will come some ground debris-branches, logs, etc and some grass. I'll plant a few trees on top to finish it off.

The tail of the switchback will be in front of the rock wall. Another hill will be in front of that partially hiding it.

I've also started laying a few ties. I marked the path of the track and glued the ties down. Sanded to make level then scribed and brushed each tie to get nice graining. They were colored with an IA formula I got from a Mike Chambers recipe that I liked. The ballast is mostly dirt with some Arizona Rock & Mineral Cumbres & Toltec ballast mixed in. I sprinkled some black cinder down the middle and set with matte medium.

Bryan

Edited by - brownbr on 05/19/2012 4:01:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10292 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  7:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Bryan....very convincing......
Thanks for the updates......Lots of
squinting at tiny spikes soon......;-)

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4087 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  04:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
everything is looking great so far!
Go to Top of Page

wesleybeks
Fireman

South Africa
2541 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  06:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You continue to produce fine results Bryan. Great work.

Regards
Wes
Modelling in sunny South Africa
Go to Top of Page

quarryman
Fireman

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  07:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan-

It seems the backdrop has barely had time to dry before you are building both track and scenery. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4274 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaping up beautifully! And the little "protester" will be a fun find for the visitors who can spot him.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5814 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  1:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The scenery is shaping up and looks great, I can see some spiking will be the order of the day very soon.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked the trees that Dave (HWCRR) did and tried my hand at his tutorial with some minor modifications. I used a 1" x 36" piece of balsa and made 2 24" trunks by splitting it at an angle. Carved the edges off and gave texture with a rasp looking thing. I used some wood putty to form roots. About 1/2 of them broke off during construction though. I painted the trunks with a brown spray with texture, gave a black wash and drybrushed gray.

For the branches I used azalea, crepe myrtle seed heads and rosemary branches since I didn't have any sagebrush on hand. For the first tree I did as Dave did and glued on secondary branches cut from rope. On the 2nd tree I glued bits of Super Trees to the branch tips. I liked this look a lot. I sprayed the branches to match the trunk then put the foliage on. First hairspray then some ground foam and green static grass. More hairspray and very light coat of light green ground foam. Having the different colors and textures gives some nice depth.

The tree seen here is the 2nd. The 1st needs some fixin'. There are about 35 branches and I think it could use about 10-15 more for next time.

Overall this was a great technique and I plan on doing all of the trees on the layout like this one. They match the look of the trees on the backdrop. It took a couple of hours for each one with overnight drying of the wood putty. The spray paint only dried to the touch before I moved on.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

410 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have all heard it said: "Necessity is the mother of invention." It should say: "Necessity is the mother of imagination and imagination is the engine that drives invention." Kudo's on the alternate materials you used. I never thought of using azalea. I have some of those around. More kudo's on the tree! I look forward to more postings about your layout.

Thank you

Dave (HWCRR)

Edited by - HWCRR on 05/21/2012 7:45:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if the last spike is the golden spike, what is the first one???

There is actually some track on the layout now! 2 turnouts are installed.

Bryan

Edited by - brownbr on 05/25/2012 7:24:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

LaRueD
Engine Wiper

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  11:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your conifer(s) look good, Bryan [:-thumbu]

Remember, not every tree in the forest is "perfect" as we often envision them to be.

If I may suggest, for your "widow makers" - the lower dead branches - you might try individual dried roots of a small local shrub/weed.

Keep up the fine work.

Delbert
Sulphur Springs Valley, Arizona
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got some rail laid and in the next couple of days will be able to run a train...the whopping distance of 8'. It's a start.

I also got the scenery done on the far corner so I can start laying track in front of that.

The big tree has a scale trunk diameter of 8' and the really big trunk is 12'. Perhaps it's The General. I'd like to find a place for it up near the logging camp but it may be just too big, we'll see. For these trees I did not do the tops since they will disappear behind the valence.

Bryan

Edited by - brownbr on 06/03/2012 08:46:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5914 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  09:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting to shape up nicely Bryan !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000