Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1215 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  8:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Construction has finally begun on the St Mary Lumber Company. Mary is my wife and flattery usually greases the wheels so...

Attached here is the track plan. Basically it will be a main lumber camp along the left wall leading to a sawmill. The switchback goes to a sub-camp and the logging areas. There will be a large trestle in the top left corner with a few smaller bridges. I want to keep the grades aroun3.5-4% on the switchback. There will be 1/2" plywood with homasote on top. I will be handlaying the track. I will be using Blue Point turnout controllers and uncoupling by hand. For this reason I the track within 24" reach where uncoupling would be necessary.

Eventually, once all of the kids are out of my room, I want to make this a continuous loop. But for now the center of the room needs to stay open.

I've attached pics of the shelf brackets being installed. I put them on each stud. The pink stuff is residue from the N scale layout as this wood has been salvaged.

I will have to cross a 70" window on the top of the trackplan. On 1 side I am using some recycled Sievers benchwork so it has legs. On the other it will have to go back to shelf-type construction since this is where my desk is. I think I can get by with 1 support in the middle.

On the right, where the mini peninsula is there will also be recycled Sievers benchwork. The sawmill will be in this area.

I put track lighting all the way around with LED bulbs. They put out a lot of light with no heat. I plan to put a valance up top once construction is done down below.

My wife is a school teacher and there is an art student teacher there. She has agreed to paint my backdrop for me. I would have preferred to do that first but she is not available until this semester is over and when I got the go-ahead to start building I didn't want to wait so we will just have to work around the benchwork.

I'd be interested to hear comments or suggestions on things I may have overlooked.

Bryan

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great start Bryan. Very wise to call the layout after your wife so that she may be receptive to when it grows and grows...

I look forward to seeing more progress.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Dustymalaymann
Engine Wiper

Malaysia
133 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Dustymalaymann a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ood start Bryan I will be watching your progress. Inovative plywood supports you have there. Like your plan too, interesting.

Keith Miller
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10143 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  08:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The plan looks interesting.....looking
fwd to progress & Pictures Bryan.....

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19676 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  08:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Bryan on the start of your new layout.
I'm going to enjoy seeing your plan come to life.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Fireman

8396 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  09:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan,

The start of another interesting layout, very good.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeless
Fireman

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  6:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always glad to see a new layout started. Looking foward to progress photos.

Roland
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your off to a great start there Brian,
A very good thought out layout plan,
I like your blue sky color tone,
it looks about the same as my blue sky before I hit it with some white,
good luck and fun as you go!
Randy
Go to Top of Page

swissrails
Engine Wiper

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  12:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow,

Nice to see another layout kicking off!

P

Peter (swissrails)

http://www.randomrailroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1215 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  6:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

I believe I shot a squirrel with a bazooka with this shelf. If the house blew down in a hurricane, this would be the only thing left standing. It is solid as a rock.

Note the faint grid on the homasote. I snapped a chalk line 6" grid to help with transferring the trackplan. Included is a photo of how I tied the framework to the wall brackets.

On to the corner. this will be an open grid so I can put in ground contour and bridges. After that--spanning the window.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1215 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  7:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant to post this as well. This is a pattern for the wall braces. I searched many places to find the best way to mount a 30-36" shelf and this is what I came up with.

The top width is 27" and this is the part that touches the framework. The side height is 30" and this is the part that touches the wall. Note the notch cut on the side. This is to allow for a 1x2 strip running underneath the 1x4 framing.

I screwed on a 24" 2x2 to the right side then screwed each of those into a stud. I overlapped the top 3" and screwed that into the 1x4 framing. Everyother stud I screwed the 1x4 framing into the wall. The results are better than I had expected.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

swissrails
Engine Wiper

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  10:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan,

I think the Civil Defense Shelter aspect of the project is another selling point for your wife-. . . .

p

Peter (swissrails)

http://www.randomrailroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mike Engler
Fireman

USA
1237 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  10:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, I like your track design and benchwork. Even though it is three feet deep for much of it, it looks as though the max reach is 24 inches or so to put the shay on the track!
Go to Top of Page

Sully
Fireman

USA
2610 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bryan!.......you're not letting any grass grow under your toes are you!
I guess you are reading to see that shay and climax at work on the logging line!

tom
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9066 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  6:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan,
I am lurking, waiting to see some ofnyour fine scenery.
Larry

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
4408 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  7:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Construction has finally begun on the St Mary Lumber Company. Mary is my wife and flattery usually greases the wheels so...

You need to take her to St Mary's PA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Marys,_Pennsylvania Lots of lumber railroads through there. Anyone remember which volume of the PA Logging Railroads books covers St Mary's?

edit Very beginning of Vol 10 "Tanbark, Alcohol and Timber", with mentions in a few of the other books.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 02/03/2012 8:39:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000