Page: of 15

railman28
Fireman

USA
5329 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  11:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I built a couple of machine tools tonight, and have some more to do tomorrow. That's real precision work, and so far I've only dropped & lost 1 piece.

dave

Eric (Rio Grande) is real good at replacing "lost" parts.
He will also sell you components from his kits at very reasonable prices.
Peter (SS Ltd.)was also willing to sell me component from his kit. For example my machinery kit only came with one Shift lever (and the drawing showed an incorrect setup that would require that all machines to have their belts moved(shifted)at the same time instead of individually)But he quickly provided me the levers I needed at a reasonable cost.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  10:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rio Grande belt drive components look really good, including the belt shifters. The part I dropped was from a Model Masterpieces kit, but I was able to bash a replacement. Photos later today, I hope.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  8:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the weekend building machines:

From left to right, back to front: (1) BEST table tops, (2) Model Masterpieces (MM) drill press, (3) MM lathe, (4) Rio Grande Models (RG) lathe.

(5) SS Ltd Engine, (6) unfinished RG planer, (7) unfinished RG bolt threader, (8) assembled RG bolt threader, (9) RG metal trimmer.

(10, 11) BEST table tops

I scanned and printed the 2nd floor piece, and drew on it the location of the ground floor office (right side). The 2nd floor piece indicates where the stairs go (by that big hole in the middle :-) )

This isn't the final layout, but it's a very good first cut. This represents a repair shop for "Oil Well Supply Company" so I figure this will be making a lot of parts for pumps, wells, etc. That's why I went for 2 bolt cutter machines.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 02/19/2012 8:17:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  8:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention. Friday I got a small package of updated/corrected parts from LaserModeling3 (LM3), including a redone ground floor partition wall (for the double doors), a redone boiler annex end wall (in clapboard) that matches the laser-cut framing, and the missing back wall from the boiler annex.

If you bought this kit at a show and haven't registered with LM3, you should do so.

Kudos to LM3 for sending out the updated parts!

dave

Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  8:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. I'm looking forward to seing all the drives and pulleys.

There's going to be a lot of oil industry stuff on my layout, no I know where to get supplies.
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
6276 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  10:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wow ! that looks great.

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/19/2012 10:05:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15327 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  10:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Dave.

George
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5329 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  02:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave. Take another look at your planner, it needs to be rotated 90 Degrees to aline with a line shaft powering the other machines. That is, unless you want to display the special belting required to make a 90 Deg. turn like I did.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Looking good Dave. Take another look at your planner, it needs to be rotated 90 Degrees to aline with a line shaft powering the other machines. That is, unless you want to display the special belting required to make a 90 Deg. turn like I did.

Thanks, Bob. I probably would have caught that once the planer is assembled, but this helps with the visualization. I need to go back and figure out where the loading/freight door is (so I don't block it with a machine) and decide if I need/have room for any other machines.

By the way, the SS Ltd steam engine kit went together very nicely. The Rio Grande Models kits are also a joy to put together. The (much older) Model Masterpieces kits require a bit more care, but when you consider these are probably 25 years old, they still hold up very well.

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  2:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another layout, this time with (a) the machines assembled (so I can see where the belt pulleys are), (b) the walls laid down so I can see where the doors are, and (c) a 'dude' to ensure there's space for the machinists to move around:

The blocks represent the table top castings from the previous picture.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 02/20/2012 2:44:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  2:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There doesn't seem to be a lot of space for the operators or to work at some of the benches.

I think I'd mount each piece temporarily on s piece of card to represent the work space around each machine and where the operator would need to stand. That may help pack things.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/20/2012 3:00:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5329 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two cents; The lathes and drill press look fine. The planer needs more room around and I would move it to the center of the room. Your bolt cutters need to be turned 180 deg.s with more space in front of them so that at least one can cut long stock (so you can tread the end of a 12' stay bolt for example)and the metal trimmer belongs in the Black Smith shop.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  4:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

My two cents; The lathes and drill press look fine. The planer needs more room around and I would move it to the center of the room. Your bolt cutters need to be turned 180 deg.s with more space in front of them so that at least one can cut long stock (so you can tread the end of a 12' stay bolt for example)and the metal trimmer belongs in the Black Smith shop.

Very helpful, thanks! edit - another layout taking Bob's suggestions into consideration:

dave (who never 'graduated' to lathe in High School shop class - but I'm pretty good with a table saw!)

Edited by - deemery on 02/20/2012 4:44:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5329 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  4:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I was also looking at the post holes in the floor and noticed the one in front of the lathe. A post there would really be in the way. You could just move the post south a couple of feet. the post don't have to be centered in the building. They can be a little that way or a little that'a way depending on the need of the machinery.

Where do you envision the Main line going?

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7951 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  5:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me 'borrow' a couple of LM3's photos:

and mine:

I'm not going to move the post (framing's already assembled ;-), I'll just swap the 2 lathes and make them work in that corner.

dave

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000