Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

time2play
Fireman

Canada
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done Dave. I really like the look of this building. I tried to buy one at the Craftsman Structure Convention in Boston this past November but they only brought the one kit with them. They plan to be in Ottawa, Ontario this coming May so I've asked them to bring an extra kit with them.
I'll be watching your build with great interest...

Bob Farquhar
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5753 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Great start. I have this kit (with interiors) and I will be watching your build.

John
Go to Top of Page

mlvarley
Crew Chief

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Thanks for starting this thread- very timely. I received this building for Christmas and hope to be starting it this winter. Your comments have already been very helpful.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5585 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  06:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
32316 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I also appreciated all the progress photos and explanations. I know it takes time, but I love looking over a modelers shoulder.

The color you've achieved on both the foundation and the flooring is great.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

11492 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, You're off to a great start with this build. Many intricate details to begin with. I typically model in the same fashion as you...take time away from the work bench for a few weeks, even months, then focus all of my time to a project where I am literally "super-glued" to the bench. I've made it my resolution to space my modelling time in a more spread out fashion - we'll see how that goes! Anyways, this looks like it will be a great build and I'll be following along! [:-apple][:-apple]

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8250 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  2:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a bit more work in over the weekend.

First, on the coal pit. I cut the conveyor chute trapezoidal piece of wood to fit and added some paper for the seams, painted this a metallic gray and then did rust over-painting.

There are wood I-Beams for the rail over the pit. I noticed these are nowhere near deep enough to hold the rail over the pit, so I added some extender pieces. Then I had the problem of how to align the I-beams so they'll be directly underneath the rail, when I thought about this technique. I put double-sided tape on the bottom of some track and stuck the I-Beams beneath the rails (I had to do some trimming of the beams to get them to fit smoothly):

Then I put a big glob of glue on those extenders, and stuck the rails in place. This approach has the added advantage of making sure the beams are level against the rails, rather than praying the bottoms of the stone notches are level:

I carefully peel the rail and tape off of the I-Beams and that's done.

Now the kit comes with a very nice staircase, but I decided that took up too much room in the pit. So I'll be putting a ladder down the pit (no OSHA in the 19th century :-). I'll either scratchbuild the ladder or recycle one from another kit.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 01/23/2012 3:02:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8250 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next up, the ground floor office. The laser-cut parts for this are from clapboard sheeting, which to my eyes looks funny for an interior partition. Add to that what I think might have been a mistake (or a misreading of the instructions) for the large double door, and I decided to replace/redo the partitions with "double-thick" 1/32x.080 scribed siding, and replace the laser-cut door with a Tichy 8111 Double Door and Transom. This part has a blank back side, so I added .010x 040, .010x.080 and .020x.020 trim to recreate the door on the inside.

I taped the siding back-to-back, keeping the scribes on the inside. (The hope was to prevent chipping/tear-out of the scribed parts.) I used the laser-cut parts as a template.

I added HO scale 1x4 door framing to the wood pieces.

You can see the original Tichy part, the one I trimmed (and I added some missing trim from the previous photo), and the Tichy single office door with transom frame that comes with the kit.

Then I test-fit these pieces into the ground floor. This required first establishing how the partitions are arranged, and then doing some trimming to make sure they fit correctly. Here's the fit I worked out, note that I'll add a 1/16x1/16 square piece as marked on the photo:

I need to paint these the off-white color I used on the previous pieces, and decide if I want to add the framing/bracing indicated on the original kit. In thinking about this, I might add that as typical studs and sills on the OUTSIDE walls, it seems to me to make more sense to have the office walls be smoother/finished wood.

dave

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5540 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, everything is looking good. I hope you're thinking ahead of how you're going to hang the belting and line shafts. It will be a lot easier to work on these if you can hang the 1st story's shafting before putting in the floor joists for the 2nd.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

gnatshop
New Hire

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  4:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great build thread, Dave! I love your detailed descriptions and pictures, as well
as the fixes and changes you made.

David Workman
Austin, Arkansas

www.picasaweb.google.com/Gnatshop

Edited by - gnatshop on 01/23/2012 4:34:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8250 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  4:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Dave, everything is looking good. I hope you're thinking ahead of how you're going to hang the belting and line shafts. It will be a lot easier to work on these if you can hang the 1st story's shafting before putting in the floor joists for the 2nd.

That's why not much is happening right now. Once I get the ground floor office in place, I can do the 2nd floor framing and office partition and office/storage furniture, but anything after that requires me to do (a) machine shop planning; (b) machine tool construction and painting; (c) belt runs, etc. to put the machines on the ground floor. I definitely want to do the belts before I do the rafters, even if I decide to glue some belt hangers onto a thinner rafter than the thicker (currently in place) framing.

dave

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5540 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  5:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

That's why not much is happening right now. Once I get the ground floor office in place, I can do the 2nd floor framing and office partition and office/storage furniture, but anything after that requires me to do (a) machine shop planning; (b) machine tool construction and painting; (c) belt runs, etc. to put the machines on the ground floor. I definitely want to do the belts before I do the rafters, even if I decide to glue some belt hangers onto a thinner rafter than the thicker (currently in place) framing.

dave

While grading against planning into stagnation you got to be sure of of the steps you're going to take. As I sure you recall I mounted my line supports on two boards that ran perpendicular to the shafts. This allowed me to build the shaft (both main and countershafts)upside down and then attach the line to the joists. This followed prototype practice but really made it hard to view the machinery. Most modelers don't use these boards for that reason. In retrospect I'm glad I did thing this way. Although the shop's machinery is harder to view (and photograph) the boards add to the clutter feeling you get from the real shops.
I'll add this additional opinion too, the SS ltd Boiler is way too much boiler for a shop this size.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5540 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  6:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, more unsolicited opinion. Give a lot of thought to presentation. How is the model going to viewed? Where will the best visibility be? That's where you want the detail machinery to be. Put the work benches, the less detailed machines, the cruder casting that are painted so that the brain can add the details in the back, less visible areas.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8250 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good suggestions, Bob! I came to the same conclusion looking at the SS Ltd Boiler, which is why I didn't buy it.

dave

Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4394 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moving along nicely

Elliott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic