New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
6276 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  11:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

This might be one of the longest "to be worked on" queue.!!! Projects going. Hell it was started back on 01/16/2012.

Not even close Jerry, I started my O Scale Shelby's back in 2007 when I started modeling and that aint even halfway done yet... which reminds me... I must get back to that one day.

I'm sure there are many here with even longer running projects.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 09/26/2014 11:47:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23116 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  07:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I stalled on the ground floor, and this is in the "to be worked on" queue.
dave

This might be one of the longest "to be worked on" queue.!!! Projects going. Hell it was started back on 01/16/2012.

I know walking the[:-doggy] has taken a lot of your time up!

Fortunately you have forgotten about the engine house.
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11858 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  11:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now there are really two honest guys!!!

I guess we all have little projects we started and got lost in the shuffle[:-banghead]

I'm just trying to get Dave tyo work on this!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Thanks guys! I'm felling better about my abandoned, a... I mean back-burner projects.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7967 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  3:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the "long project excuse chain":

In the beginning there was my Colorado Midland roundhouse: http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1007 (started about this time in 2008!!!) I got stuck on the flooring, had to redo it, and finally "burned out". Still I had to start thinking about floor layout, as I had some machine tools I wanted to add to the roundhouse. (I had been planning/thinking about that kit for at least a decade before starting it, including several years searching eBay for one of the extra stall kits. Dave Frary took pity on me and contributed a badly waterlogged but salvageable kit from when his house was flooded by a storm surge.)

When LM3 released Winchendon Machine, I thought, "Cool, I'll build a straight-up machine shop where someone has worked out the belts, assembly order, etc, etc, and then go back and think about the roundhouse machines." On the machine shop build, I needed to get the machines laid out before I could think through the belting, I needed to have the belts designed and built before I could finish the main floor framing/2nd story floor joists (and then the lighting, etc.) But to finish laying out the machines, I needed machinists.

So I got some figures, but observed that 19th century people were -never- without hats. That makes particular sense in a machine shop, with all the oil from the machines and the belt drives, dust, shavings, etc. I was using/backdating more modern figures without hats, and that wouldn't do. That sent me on a quest for derbies, which was finally satisfied by 3d printed hats.

But in the meantime, I promised Craig Bisgeier I'd do a scratchbuilt Cigar Factory to fit a specific location on the Housatonic. I got one wall built and detailed, including printing decals on my laser printer. I needed to have decals that matched for an adjacent wall, so Craig worked over my decal images to get them sized right. Then I rushed to print them on my laser printer before my previous employer took their printer back.

When I get frustrated, I go build car kits. They're usually easy to punch through, and give me a sense of accomplishment in a short amount of time. I just finished an F&C gondola, so I guess I can't use that excuse any more.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story!" :-) :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5924 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  7:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good story Dave' I too have procrastinated on projects while searching for certain details...I think all
half way decent modelers share that commonality..........
As they say', The details make the model '.[:-magnify]

ted :<)
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I really like this kit, and have been thinking about purchasing it.

One a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the most difficult; where would you place the basic kit? With the machinery, I would assume it would be a 10?

John
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6896 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  7:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sad, but familiar tale, Dave.

I start this, and can't finish this until i get that done, but I need this other thing to finish that, and that requires something else, which I can't start until I finish the... you get the idea. Somewhere out there is the end of the string, and if I can only find it, I can go gangbusters, with Actual Progress in all directions.

It's out there.... Somewhere.... [:-bigeyes] [:-boggled]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7967 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  8:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rate the kit is 5 by itself, 8 with the full machine tools, boiler and steam engine.

Now the old Model Masterpieces CM Roundhouse, -that kit- is a 10!

The LM3 instructions are pretty good, the laser cutting and design are excellent. You'll have to do some of your own design work for belting, and for the boiler and piping in the boiler room. If you take your time and think through the assembly steps before building the kit, it goes pretty well. And I suspect if you make a mistake and need a replacement part, LM3 will help you out.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Mousecounter
Section Hand

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2016 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, was looking for something else (wall details to be specific, wye pipe junctions, fire alarms, hose hookups for the fire dept. etc. and stumbled on this by accident:

HATS! bowlers and top hats in 3d through shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/596TDEZEY/bowler-and-top-hats-large-assortment-ho-scale-1-87?optionId=41278322&li=marketplace

Maybe someone else has some other styles, but you could probably do with these?

Bill

Bill R.
CEO Costa Palenti RR
"Some say, 'Coasta', most say 'Cost ah'."
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7967 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2016 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mousecounter

Ok, was looking for something else (wall details to be specific, wye pipe junctions, fire alarms, hose hookups for the fire dept. etc. and stumbled on this by accident:

HATS! bowlers and top hats in 3d through shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/596TDEZEY/bowler-and-top-hats-large-assortment-ho-scale-1-87?optionId=41278322&li=marketplace

Maybe someone else has some other styles, but you could probably do with these?

Bill

Yeah, I have some of those put away, for when I get back to modeling. (We just moved to a new house with a large unfinished basement. All my wife's projects have to get done first.)

dave

Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11858 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  4:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Posted - 01/16/2012 : 8:05:35 PM

This will not be a conventional build thread, since I tend to work "bursty". So it may be some time between updates. But over this long weekend, I got a good head start on this kit and came away with some observations/tips/lessons learned to pass along.

dave

Someone was looking at this thread. So I thought I's throw in my 2 cents!!

When you said "BURSTY" you sure meant it!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7967 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife retired and we moved last autumn. All my train stuff is packed away until the basement is finished, probably early summer. I've seen a lot of other builds that inspired me. First priority will be to do some machinist figures (with hats) and get them lined up with the ground floor machines. Also I need to work out how I'll use magnets to make sides removable.

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7967 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll dig this one out and restart work on it. The next open spot on the layout (around the corner from Mill Valley), should work for this kit, but I'll have to check the footprint.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  9:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a break to build some boxcars it will be back to developing more industry for your railroad. Hopefully the Wichendon building fits the intended spot so that we can watch you wrap it up.

Mike

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000