Page: of 15

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7273 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  8:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I tend to stall on large projects, and often do so on relatively small items. For this project, the 1890s era workers need hats, particularly derby hats, and I haven't had much luck figuring out how to do this.

Dave,

Consider taking a piece of plastic rod, chucking it into a cordless drill, then on a very slow speed, shaping the crown of the hat. Slice off a piece, glue it to a disc of thin plastic (or 3x5 card), mount on the worker's head, and paint. Repeat as necessary.

Pete
in Michigan

Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  08:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The hat that won the west" to quote Lucius Beebe. As I also need them in great number I have been thinking on casting them in resin or 3D printing them. An idea would be to "scan" an actual hat using Autodesk 123d Catch and a camera and then print a whole bunch of them at Shapeways in their finest material FUD.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8436 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, You design them, and I'll buy some! Here's a nice assortment of hats from around 1900-1910: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/A-Variety-of-Men-s-Hats-Posters_i1877852_.htm

Pete, I did try something similar to your idea, and wasn't very successful. Part of the problem is cutting ovals that small for the hat brim. The other problem is getting the side curl upwards that really does characterize derby hats. Without that curl, they just don't look right. (I shaped little bits of air-drying clay for the hat crown, that part worked OK.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 08/20/2013 09:26:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7273 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pete, I did try something similar to your idea, and wasn't very successful. Part of the problem is cutting ovals that small for the hat brim. The other problem is getting the side curl upwards that really does characterize derby hats. Without that curl, they just don't look right. (I shaped little bits of air-drying clay for the hat crown, that part worked OK.)

dave

OK, ya got me. I have a leather punch that cuts holes in various sizes, so that's not an issue, but the curl on the brim is tricky. I'm gonna have to give this one some serious thought! [:-boggled]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  4:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'll see what I can do. I have been keen on testing the Catch program for some time now and my mother in law has some old hats including a Derby hat.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6474 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  7:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis (desertdrover) posted a couple of weeks ago about making cowboy hats from rivets and eyelets:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=40453

He was using 3mm, I don't know availability of smaller sizes. But it seems like you could either form the derby's crown over a stake (broken drill ground hemispherical on one end?) or let a dollop of epoxy dry and sand it to the right shape.
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7273 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  7:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Louis (desertdrover) posted a couple of weeks ago about making cowboy hats from rivets and eyelets:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=40453

He was using 3mm, I don't know availability of smaller sizes. But it seems like you could either form the derby's crown over a stake (broken drill ground hemispherical on one end?) or let a dollop of epoxy dry and sand it to the right shape.

James, I don't think the crown is the issue; it's the brim. "Proper" derby hats have a curled brim.

And yes, Louis' thread is a great way to make the ubiquitous western "ten gallon" Stetson. I've tried it in years past (IIRC MR had an article describing a similar process decades ago), but couldn't get the small hats I need for my purposes.

The only method that comes to mind would use a brim made of 3x5 card stock, moistened, pressed into a suitable mold with a die, and then hardened with CA. Add a crown and paint. I have not tried this (yet) but it sounds feasible to me.

Pete
in Michigan

Go to Top of Page

Mousecounter
Section Hand

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  3:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been lurking, but this thread concerning hats has gotten me to sign up.

I've looked up the thread about making hats from rivets. I've also seen (but forgot to copy the information down) a thread on here about using 1/72nd scale toy figures for hats (I managed to find and win an auction for 'wild west' figures on ebay yesterday). The idea being to either swap heads, or maybe better yet, make castings of the hats. The thread in question had to do with making a bull rider in HO scale. Lastly, Prieser makes an unpainted bulk set of "Tradespeople" and as near as I can tell, many of them are wearing hats. I found a reference that SS Limited has some hat details. Musket Miniatures has a line of figures that are wearing hats (but they don't have pictures for most of them...) I managed to get an old Dyna Models shoe makers kit that has a casting of some hats on a shelf So far, that's all I've been able to come up with for contributions on finding or making hats.

Now, having done my best to add to the knowledge pool for hats, I'll toss out a query...

While it's true that people in the time period definitely wore hats much more than they do today, there were some reasons for this. They didn't have sun glasses, or sunscreen. Also, having worked in various production shops, I know that you NEVER wear gloves when operating a drill press... So, I have to wonder, would people of the period have worn hats, particularly hats with brims, in a shop setting that possibly would have had over head conveyor belt drives? I'm guessing they wouldn't have, as the brims (or hats in general) could have blocked the upward view of the wearer, and running into one of those belts would be a bad way to end your day. Having said that, I'm sure someone will find a picture to the contrary...but I'm guessing only hats with little or no brim, would have been worn inside the shop area, if at all. So, my guess is, hats outdoors, but not in the shop.

Best regards,
Bill R.

Bill R.
CEO Costa Palenti RR
"Some say, 'Coasta', most say 'Cost ah'."
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8436 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is, fashion considerations aside, they would wear hats to keep the grease/oil/dust out of their hair (and eyes)

dave

Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
12507 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  8:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My guess is, fashion considerations aside, they would wear hats to keep the grease/oil/dust out of their hair (and eyes)

dave

Instead of worrying about hats why don't you bring this thread back to life? It's been a long time Dave!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8436 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  8:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I need to do the figures to place the machines. I need to place the machines to do the belt drives on the ground floor. And I have to get all that in place before I can start the 2nd floor… The good news is I got a bunch of hats from Shapeways, so that excuse is now gone.

But first I need to get a couple other projects out of the way, and clean the workspace to get back to a major project.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 02/09/2014 8:45:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7273 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  8:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

It sounds to me like you have the same issue I do -- finding the "end" of the "Job Thread" so you can get things done. Seems like everything I do gets stalled because something else isn't done yet. [:-banghead]

When you find the end of the thread,let us know how you did it! You might start a deluge of rail project completion! [:-eyebrows]

Pete
waiting for glue to dry
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 02/09/2014 8:45:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5770 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  12:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the final pictures of this kit. I can only assume you left the roofs off? You did an outstanding job. I like the kit and I would hate to hide the details with the roofs off

John
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8436 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  12:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stalled on the ground floor, and this is in the "to be worked on" queue. Since starting on this, I've added a couple other major projects to that queue, one of which (cigar factory for Craig Bisgeier's layout) I really need to finish before restarting my own projects.

dave

Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
12507 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  9:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I stalled on the ground floor, and this is in the "to be worked on" queue.
dave

This might be one of the longest "to be worked on" queue.!!! Projects going. Hell it was started back on 01/16/2012.

I know walking the[:-doggy] has taken a lot of your time up!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000