Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

USA
1612 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  07:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Dave,

Those machines look great. You are doing a damn fine job.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7954 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The April 2012 NMRA Magazine has a great article by Richard Senges with twin boilers and a twin-engine steam engine. There's some good photos of the piping, particulalry the boiler feedwater lines.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4394 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great progress Dave

Elliott
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7954 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  9:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been traveling and doing other things, but I did get some more work on the steam engine. As ClosetGuy (Mike) pointed out, the governor is a particularly fragile part of the model, and I bent and broke mine, so I had to replace it. A while ago I bought some really small "crimp beads" at Michaels. I took a #1 bead, glued .040 Evergreen styrene rod to fill the opening, and then carefully drilled that out to support .020 wire. (I used the old machinist's trick of drilling a smaller hole first. Note how I 'finessed' bead tweezers and a spring clamp to hold the bead in place to do this work:

This was actually the easy part. I trimmed off the leftovers from the old governor balls and drilled holes for the .020 wires. That wasn't too hard with my Opti-Visor on. The hard part was getting the top wires glued in place. The problem was that I needed really fine tweezers to position the wires while I cut them to fit and glued them, and the darn wires kept on slipping or falling off the tweezers before the glue set. This turned out to be a 3-cussword job. Anyway, I finally got everything glued in place and then painted (Testor's "brass' enamel"):

The rest of the engine was finished with a blue oil wash over Model Masters 'jet exhaust" on the cast parts, and a combination of "steel" and "oily steel" Vallejo acrylics. The piston chest was painted with flat craft paint "anthracite", a very nice gray-black. The piston chest needs a bit more weathering, and I need to add the belt from the belt drive wheel to the governor.

But overall I'm pretty happy how this came out.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8440 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  9:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, I've been quitely following along with your build,nice work.
This steam engine which you have just finished is beautiful!
Though,does this now mean that you have brass balls?

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5330 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  10:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one sharp engine Dave!

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17652 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  03:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine is very nice. You've found a nice solution to the problem of making these governor balls, one of the more difficult parts in a scratchbuild of a steam engine (or an improvement of kit...).
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4674 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  04:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used those same little beads for a modeling project and sympathize entirely with the challenge! Beautiful job of adapting and fitting those to make a significant detail in an elegant way. [:-thumbu]

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7954 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some progress to report... Bob Harris pointed out the need for the steam engine to be on its own foundation, rather than sitting on the floor boards. So I carefully cut an opening and then dusted it heavily with black pigment. There'll need to be more weathering around the engine, but this does look like the engine is separate from the floor boards:

And here's the almost-final tool layout. The pieces of tape represent the location of doors and the stairwell/stairway:

I think I'll run the main shaft centered along the front bay, and run an aux shaft along the back bay to power the two lathes.

Any thoughts/comments on this layout?

dave

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5330 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Good job on mounting the steam engine. I did some doodling on your floor plan;

Is this what you had in mind? The yellow line are the main belts, the red, the pulleys for the belts to each countershaft for each machine.
The circled drill press I suggest you turn it 180 Deg. and move it to the wall for better pulley spacing. You will need to remove one angle brace to make run for the belt from the engine to the main line (that was commonly done).

But everything is looking good.

oh Yea, I like this placement of the lathes better. While I know the angled layout was used later in shops I don't think (=know) it was used in the 19th century.

and finally, I'm happy that you find my kibitzing useful.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/31/2012 11:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
5005 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a really fun and informative thread. I'm very much enjoying following along. Thanks for all the information on how you painted and weathered the machines.

Don
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7954 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  10:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, thanks much for the mark-up!. The one thing that struck me as I was thinking about this overnight is the pairs of drill presses and threading machines. With these things lined up as they are right now, you'd have belts from both drill presses (for instance) trying to get to the same pulley. I can either offset the machines, or I can run a secondary shaft to power them.

dave

Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1749 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great work Dave![:-thumbu][:-thumbu] Somehow I missed this thread so I have had some catching up to do.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5330 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  3:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bob, thanks much for the mark-up!. The one thing that struck me as I was thinking about this overnight is the pairs of drill presses and threading machines. With these things lined up as they are right now, you'd have belts from both drill presses (for instance) trying to get to the same pulley. I can either offset the machines, or I can run a secondary shaft to power them.

dave

Dave,
You don't have to offset the machines you can just offset the drive pulleys on the countershanks. Tonight when I have more time I'll post you a drawing.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5330 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  11:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the "drawing";

I hope it's self-explaining. As viewed from the top the contershanks run from hanger to hanger and you can position the pulleys anywhere they need to be.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000