Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

bitlerisvj
Fireman

USA
1117 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Send bitlerisvj an AOL message
According to my Sylvan Point St. Cahrles CN caboose, they recommend what they sell, Resin Prep or Dio-Sol. Since Dio-Sol is non-existent, for all intents and purposes, there are other things to use. Someone her mentioned alcohol, that sounds good. I suspect paint thinner/mineral spirits would work also. Somebody I know recommended apple cider vinegar. Sylvan must put some healthy mold release on their kits, as I never had problems with detergent and warm water on F&C and Westerfield resin kits. The apple cider vinegar thing sure seems weird, I wonder what possessed someone to try it?
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

quote:
started my CN Slab-side hopper tonight, Washing all the resin castings to remove the mold-release residue.

Hi, what are you washing with? I have had problems with paint which doesn't adhere.

Håkan

Go to Top of Page

boomer44
Engine Wiper

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:43:32 AM  Show Profile
I started the kit by distressing the siding with my wire brushes. I gave the windows and building sides a grey primer coat. This pretty much hid the distressing. I may take a few swipes with coarse sand paper later on.

I followed with a alcohol / black leather dye wash to bring out the scribed siding. This made the siding really standout but also really curled the plywood sides. I had to use the weights to flatten everything out again.

I had been experimenting with Klean Strip S-L-X Denatured Alcohol and dye. Turns out this is pretty potent stuff. I had used this on another building and it ate through the acrylic paint. I now file this stuff under "don't do that again".

Gordon

Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12711 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  4:31:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, nice work on your channel markers!
The only thing that seems to be missing, is the seagull droppings that tend to cover the tops of them.

Greg Shinnie

quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Very nice channel markers, Louis. I too am quite impressed by the huge attendance of this challenge...

Thanks Greg, that gives me another addition to the scene. A few seagulls, and there droppings on the buoys. [:-thumbu]

Frederic, thanks for your comments and following along on my building thread.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage

I managed a bit of time to work on the windows and doors of the multi-purpose concert hall/chocolate factory and warehouse. Normally, I'd spray bomb these sheets out in the garage, but, being winter, I chose to brush paint instead.

On the sheet you can see the windows, doors and sills. The longer pieces to the bottom are trim pieces.

An overhead projector acetate works wonders for windows. I chose to cut the window portions out, then remove their protective backing and adhere the window pieces along the edge of my acetate sheet. The window sections eventually will be cut in half as the bottom section of the window is the "inner" window that can be placed in any open configuration I choose. By placing the window sections right along the edge of the acetate, this meant that I only had to cut three remaining window edges - crafty lad, I am!

I've turned the sheet with the edge to the right. A sharp razor blade makes a perfect cut down the sides of the windows.

In no time at all, I've got a number of the windows cut out. Remember, these will be cut in half later on just before I go to glue the windows to the walls.

I've applied a similar technique with the door windows.

The thought of simply using scissors to cut out these sections instead of the razor blade came to mind, so I tried and the results were just as good, providing I got my scissor blades right up close so no acetate material would overhang the door. I've got a busy night ahead, so that's all I've managed to get done this time!

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 01/20/2012 5:34:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12711 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:22:12 PM  Show Profile
I like that overhead projector acetate idea Mike. That's a keeper!

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
1252 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  01:17:17 AM  Show Profile
That is a good idea, I'll have to file that one away for later use.

In the meantime I timmed all the flash off the parts. I'm guessing that a resin kit has alot of flash, this one certainly did. It took about an hour and a half to clean up everything.

The grey part was a paint test to see if the mold release residue was gone. (I sprayed the inside, just in case)
Some of the really small parts are molded in the center of hollow parts like this:

So you have to cut the small parts out first, then trim and cut out the larger ones.
I also noticed that the underframe is warped, so I clamped it on a file overnight to see if that helps it. If not I hear a dip in boiling water can do the trick.

I may not be fast, but I'm slow
Go to Top of Page

Capndick
Engine Wiper

172 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile
I've added this extension as I have run out of room. Not sure which portion I'll go with for the challenge...The idea is for this to be another waterfront with a small shipbuilding facility. I have a model ship [pilot boat phantom from model shipways]to place in the graving dock which will be between the buildings represented by the cigar boxes..I'll use jl's rebelstoke building for one and their koglins for the other...the foreground will have a small boat rental/repair shop..a single track will come in from the other side of the mountain and will be served by the dedictaed SW7 from the waterfront.
Dick
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/Capndick/
Go to Top of Page

Capndick
Engine Wiper

172 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile

I somehow had a senior moment and screwed up the picture...maybe I'm NOT up to the challenge after all.
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10308 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Hi Dick, sure you are up to the challenge. After all, the cigar boxes have got it right...These are the "Good Days". Or, maybe, those were the good days! [:-banghead][:-banghead]

Creating part of your extension as part of the challenge is a novel idea and I'm excited to see which part of the add-on will be your focussed area! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CVSNE
Engine Wiper

464 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

quote:
started my CN Slab-side hopper tonight, Washing all the resin castings to remove the mold-release residue.

Hi, what are you washing with? I have had problems with paint which doesn't adhere.

Håkan

Not sure I want to toss my hat in the ring on this challenge - I have a layout to build but the thought of devoting time to a MODEL - as opposed to track and wiring - is plenty appealing! Maybe I'll blow the dust off my Sunshine Door Prize thread from a couple of years ago.

I've built literally dozens of resin freight car models and don't know what mold release Clare Gilbert (Sylvan) uses, but it's the slickest, toughest stuff of all. Sylvans "Resin Prep" will clean it - but it's expensive and hard to get . . . and once you get it you realize it's awfully "close" to Goo Gone - which works as well as the resin prep.

Warm soapy water works on most resin kits, but not Sylvans.

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25235 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile
Mike, I'm a fan of Walt's windows/doors. The adhesive on the back sure makes glazing the windows much easier.

Marty, jump in!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
3643 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  09:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Marty is right-- the Sylvan Resin prep can be hard to get, but Goo Gone works very nicely. I clean my Sylvan stuff with Goo Gone, then rinse thoroughly and let dry. No problems with adhesive or paint thereafter.

'Twould be a shame to miss out on a Sylvan kit for a lack of Resin Prep! They're great kits of some very cool stuff! [:-thumbu]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

trainmanmarsh
Engine Wiper

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit trainmanmarsh's Homepage  Send trainmanmarsh a Yahoo! Message
Hello everyone

Well I have made some progress on my airplane kit. I have the body and wings together and painted.

Now for the first addition to this fun project, a barn. Now what do planes and barns have in common you may ask. well at the moment the barn is holding up the plane.

The barn is a Branchline fallen barn kit. It seems farmer bob was out crop dusting and inhaled a bit too much himself and mistook the barn for his home made runway. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. I still need to do a bit more work on the plane before I destroy it. Then I'll finish shingling the roof. After that will come the diorama base. Quite a lot to do in 2 months but I'll keep at it as I have time. Till next time

Espen
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12711 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Espen, nice work. Also, I've seen a movie about two old guys that flew their plaine into a barn like that. Can't remember the name of the movie, but they raised a young boy in the movie.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  1:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Hey Espen, nice work. Also, I've seen a movie about two old guys that flew their plaine into a barn like that. Can't remember the name of the movie, but they raised a young boy in the movie.

Here's a short period film on YouTube--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXx-RvF8cPc

Also, I seem to remember that there's a similar sequence toward the beginning of Singin' in the Rain.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000