Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
You're absolutely correct, Greg. Hmmm...life jackets. I recall having three or four from a kit I used on another diorama. Not sure if I have any left in stock, I think they all were used in scenes...I may have to put on the masked outfit and rob from Peter to pay Paul! [:-batman][:-batman]

While mulling over the notion of paddles, I decided to get back to scenery building and put further scratchbuilding on hold for the moment. I'm now on my March Break so I should have plenty of time to scratch whatever I need in order to finish the diorama. The right side of the scene (from the street perspective) needs to be addressed now.

More fencing is required to border the canoe outfitters property. Bar Mills does a great job on their fences in different scales. I might add that I was just over on Rusty Stumps' website looking at other kits and I came across fencing there as well. Walt's fence material looks great too!

The fencing kit comes with signs, but I like to add other signs and posters that I've saved from other builds or from the Internet.

I've used two methods in the past when it comes to glueing the fences down. I used to drill holes in the scenery where the posts go and I would glue longer sections of posts onto the fence itself. The posts would go in the holes and be able to stand up on their own. Of course, I would add glue. I'v found that this extra bit of work was unnecessary, as the fencing would still stand up with glue if my posts were the same height of the fencing without the need for aligning holes...which was a bit of a task. I will obscure the areas where you see an abundance of white glue with scenery material such as ground foam and bushes. A paint bottle and an old piece of wood help keep the fence upright while the glue sets.

Coming around the bend, you can see some of the smaller bits of shrub material I will use to obscure any glue areas.

The Bar Mills shack will go in the corner of the outfitters' property.

A closer view of the shack. This little structure has always been a favourite of mine. I love the three levels of material you can see as the board and batten covers the tar paper which covers the wood below.

Some fun signs for the railroad crew to check out as they wait their orders while switching out nearby spurs.

Here is the basic skeleton of the outfitters back property. Now its time to think of the detailing of this area with canoes, paddles and other paraphenalia that is required of a successful outfitter in the canoe business. That's my weekend's focus!

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 03/10/2012 09:42:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Crew Chief

Sweden
994 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  10:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Here has happened alot! I am some days behind due to celebrating my wifes birthday

-Frederic, Happy to see you back on track. Its looking great. I like that green very much.
-Mikes diorama is getting better and better. Very nice small bushes!
-Gregs flock of cabeese looks great. Congratulations on finishing!

And alot of latecomers that will be fun to follow!

I'm a little behind but I'll finish tonight, keeping my thumbs crossed. Apart from the boxcar I have been busy experimenting making trees.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5204 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  10:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Hakan, it's Glen Haasdyk that built those very nice cabeese,not Greg.
I know it's tuff keeping all of these names straight.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 03/10/2012 4:14:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5911 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I am some days behind due to celebrating my wifes birthday

That must have been a h*** of a party Hakan

Just a try with the center shed turned a quarter clockwise..what do you think ?

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage

Hi Martin, I just brought your other picture here to post below the newer one for comparison purposes. Both look visually appealing to me. My one concern with the change (which can be seen in the higher image above) would be drainage. The middle roof drains down into the side wall of the far section.

Another idea would be to place the middle section back the way it was and turn the section closest to us 90 degrees toward us to see what that would look like. Drainage shouldn't be tto much of a concern if that was done.

In fact, just this morning I was discussing drainage with my good friend, Pete Magoun MMR. The placement of my shack, as Pete so wisely noted, means that the roof line drains right onto the parking lot in my build. Pete recommended me turning the shack and moving it closer to the edge of the diorama. This would allow runoff to drain on the grassy area, which is a wise plan. However, I have my two favourite sides of the shack that I want the viewer to see very well and that would mean keeping the shack in the original allignment. I'm going to scratchbuild a rudimentary rain gutter for the shack instead. [:-apple][:-apple]

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 03/10/2012 11:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

LaRueD
Engine Wiper

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

"... I'm going to scratchbuild a rudimentary rain gutter for the shack instead."

Looking good, Mike.

Glad you liked the pic of Cameron on the other page.

Here is a 1/87 rain gutter I fashioned out of cardstock (trough) and copper strips (strap hangers) ...

As always, ...

Delbert
Sulphur Springs Valley, Arizona

Edited by - LaRueD on 03/10/2012 12:45:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  12:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Now that's one cool looking rain gutter if I ever saw one! Yup, Cameron is a keeper!
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5204 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile
I feel like the king of my miniature world!

I really feel like I needed a break from making photo etched benches.
So I painted up my 1/400th scale Leonardo & Kate to reenact their famous scene together from the movie.
Okay I will return to work now.

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  1:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Greg, I can hear Celine right now! [:-sing]
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5204 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  1:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Mike, it seems to have the same effect on my daughter.I just showed her the picture, and she rolled her eyes and walked away singing that song.
By the way Mike, if you are making life jackets up, I will take 2 small ones.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 03/10/2012 1:38:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Crew Chief

Sweden
994 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  1:54:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Haken, it's Glen Haasdyk that built those very nice cabeese,not Greg.
I know it's tuff keeping all of these names straight.

Greg Shinnie

Greg and Glen, I'm terribly sorry about that!

I have finished the Labelle boxcar. I have tried to give it some weathering with chalks instead of using an airbrush which I usually does. The weathering somehow did not came out very much on the photos though.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5204 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  1:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Hakan, beautiful work & photography!I love it!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 03/10/2012 1:58:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11294 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Very nice looking boxcar, Håkan.

George
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

New Zealand
647 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message
Hi Guys.

Martin, I would still try turning that middle shed around 180 degrees from how you have it positioned in the new pic (as I suggested two pages back - things are moving so fast here at the moment I bet you missed it). This should let the water drain as it should. You may have to heighten the middle shed a little or trim the smaller one a bit so the middle shed drains onto the lower shed. Visually, I think having the middle shed in your new position the eye kind of 'stops' when it hits the high wall of that shed. I think 180 degrees around the eye would be led into the scene.

Hakan - looking very nice! The lettering looks superb (as does the trackwork).

Greg - has Kate lost some weight? (especially in the 'head' area from that shot!)

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5204 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Mark, you made me laugh!
Has she lost some weight?
Are you kidding me? This will be the smallest Kate we ever see!
She has lost a lot of height too.
There is not a lot depth to these 1/400th figures very shallow people indeed.
I thought I nailed Leonardo's hair though, don't you think?

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 03/10/2012 3:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000