Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

masonamerican
Crew Chief

Sweden
963 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  7:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and my contribution to this Challenge is two projects. The first one is a favorite of mine, a La Belle kit. It's a HO boxcar that have been in storage way to long and need to be brought to revenue service. The other one is on its way somewhat already and that is a kitbashing/scratchbuilding project in HO of a Wagner drawing room car.

The car will be assembled as the instructions but I will use another decal set then comes with the kit.

Picture from 1879 Car builders dictionary
My model will be loosely based on the car above. The car on the photo is around 60' but my model of it will be 50' long to fit the roof and chassi from a finished Roundhouse Overland car.

The model is seen as it is now. The body will be completely covered by decals. The decals are courtesy Mr John Ott with whom I have traded decal artwork with. He is active on the Earlyrail forum and his artwork is absolutely gorgeous.
The trucks are Bitter Creek models 7' passenger trucks. The chassi and roof came from a already finished model and has been slightly altered to fit the body. The body was scratchbuilt using sheet styrene. The things left to finish the model are:
-Finish detailing chassi and paint it.
-Paint trucks and apply decal striping
-Apply decals to car
-Make, paint and install ventilators on roof clerestory sides
-Apply finish clear coat
-Weathering

I'm not sure if my second project qualifies as it is about 1/3 - 1/2 completed already?

It will be fun to participate and to follow along all the projects.

Thanks,

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10289 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  7:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage

Walt (Rusty Stumps) offers a novel approach to his walls for the kit. There are sub walls that are on the interior of the building with little recesses for the different floors. Each sub wall has a matching finished wall which acts as the exterior wall. In the image above, the subwall is to the left and the matching finished wall is to the right.

I used a razor blade to cut the walls section from its larger format page. Here I am using sandpaper to sand the remainder of the little nibs after the cuts.

Because I will be joining the two walls sections together, Walt recommends making an improvised jig. I used double-sided tape to create the "barrier" to help hold the wall still.

Note how I've created a second barrier at the roof peak to help anchor the wall sections. The jig will help "guide" the matching finished wall once I remove its backing paper.

Once the backing paper is removed, I'll have one chance to "settle" the outer finished wall to the inner sub wall.

One wall down...a few more to go!

Once I was certain that the two wall sections were sufficiently attached, I removed the mated pieces and "hand ironed" them on my plate glass by adding pressure from the center and working to the edges.

Well, I'd better get started on all the other wall sections! See ya later!

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DEFugere
Engine Wiper

200 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  8:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I think I'll build a two foot water tank using plans that appeared in RMC in 1967. I need an enclosed tank for my HOn30 Fish Camp, Lonsdale & Wood River RR

from an article by Bob Hayden & JD Frary

David
Go to Top of Page

anubis51
Fireman

Australia
1082 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello to Forum Admin,

In this two-month Challenger, is it more appropriate to add updates to an original thread, thereby keeping them all together, or start a separate post for each update?

Both methods have their good and bad points....[:-bigeyes]

Thank you,

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence
Go to Top of Page

boomer44
Engine Wiper

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  9:05:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DEFugere

I think I'll build a two foot water tank using plans that appeared in RMC in 1967. I need an enclosed tank for my HOn30 Fish Camp, Lonsdale & Wood River RR

from an article by Bob Hayden & JD Frary

David

David,
You are a most ambitious fellow. Any idea of what the interior looks like? Perchance a link to your RR? I've loved Thatcher's Inlet and also Windes Inlet by Sam Swanson.

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4672 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  10:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm a little late but I am throwing my hat in the ring as well. I plan to build the Schomberg Scale Models blacksmith's shop.

Changes may be made to fit the use as a mine shop building.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  10:17:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll join in with two projects:
A Sylvan Slab-side hopper kit (resin)

It will be my first craftsman resin kit and I hear these are a real challenge!

And I'd like to finish my Juneco CPR Caboose kit (I did start it recently))

I may not be fast, but I'm slow
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  05:58:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by anubis51

Hello to Forum Admin,

In this two-month Challenger, is it more appropriate to add updates to an original thread, thereby keeping them all together, or start a separate post for each update?

Both methods have their good and bad points....[:-bigeyes]

Thank you,

John

John,
I guess either way would work but I would prefer that you post your updates to this thread as much as possible.

If you also would like to have a stand alone thread somewhere on the forum that is fine with me as long as you post some updates here on this thread.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2258 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Hello chaps,
I made a small start for part of this challenge - as a warm up or something

These are two Slaters 1:43 white metal men, intended as a steam locomotive crew. As I am intending them for an early diesel On30 layout the engine driver is going to be a well-to-do gent resting his hand on the windscreen of his automobile and the stoker is going to be shovelling in a pile of coal for the power plant on the layout.

I like the proportions and details of the figures but being 1:43 they work out rather tall for 1:48 - about 6'3".

I didn't take a 'before' photo but they were primed and painted in Vallejo colours and I really like the detail that it is possible to include in O scale figures (compared to my previous HO).

They are stuck down to plasticard bases to stop them toppling over while painting and until the base of the layout is ready for them to be glued to.

Neil

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

dti406
Engine Wiper

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Here is my project. This is an old Eastern Car Works GATC 3600 Dryflow Covered Hopper Kit. It may be generously described as a Kit Bash in a Box. They put in the box 4 sides from a single bay Airslide along with a new roof and underframe that are the correct length. The (warped) sides must to cut and joined in order to make the proper length sides to fit the roof and underframe.

Here is a picture of the kit parts as I took them from the box.

Need to get a miter box before making the side cuts. Then off to the races.

Rick J

Edited by - dti406 on 02/27/2012 10:04:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
John,
If one want to comment on someone's progress, then we have to search the entire thread to do so, but if one were to do as the 30's gas station thread, as an example, then I believe the active topics would be greatly filled up by all the challanger's individual threads. So, when I start my entry, where do you want it? As an individual thread, or anywhere on here?
Thanks,
Rich

Go to Top of Page

luvchikn
Engine Wiper

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  10:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello all, it seems I replied in the wrong spot, but I am in for your challenge. My project will be my first scratch build from a magazine article. The design appeared in Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette, May/June 1985.

My only experience is a boxcar from Balboa that took me forever. The pictures show my start of the framework on Saturday/Sunday. Not as easy as it looks.

Can anyone help me find a clear picture of the detail of the Westinghouse K brake. I have the parts, and some piping, but am struggling on exactly how the piping connects to the cylinder.

Well I am getting an Object error when uploading the photo's. But, the build is on.

Really glad I found your site.

Luvchikn
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  10:11:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Hi,
John,
If one want to comment on someone's progress, then we have to search the entire thread to do so, but if one were to do as the 30's gas station thread, as an example, then I believe the active topics would be greatly filled up by all the challanger's individual threads. So, when I start my entry, where do you want it? As an individual thread, or anywhere on here?
Thanks,
Rich

The choice is yours but I would prefer that some posts on the construction of the model be placed in this thread to show your progress and then if you would also like to start a second thread of the build that would be fine.

This way we can document your progress in this thread and comments can be left either here or in the second thread like the 30's gas station thread

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19660 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  10:33:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by luvchikn

Well I am getting an Object error when uploading the photo's. But, the build is on.

Luvchikn

Here is a thread that explains how to post pictures: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

The two biggest problems are file size and naming convention.

Make the longest side of your picture no larger than 800 pixels and save at a medium resolution.
Names can only contain numbers and letters.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  10:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Starting on the long sides first. Made a 126' long beam, cut 16 x 18' posts; setting up the clamp before gluing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000