Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that car's done - mainly cosmetics, a bit of paint here & there, repaired one of the doors, and added a bit of missing wood to the underframe, and arch bar trucks with metal wheels, but another nice car to add to the roster.







Next up:




To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  11:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, ready to go into the paint queue now...






To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this one is done now....





On to the next in the queue....

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

That is another nice and unique looking model. MOW?

Go to Top of Page

George D
Moderator

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Martin.[:-thumbu]

George
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  10:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Martin,

That is another nice and unique looking model. MOW?





Thanks, Gentlemen!

Yes, MOW and most probably really a 3' car, but I received it sitting on standard arch bar trucks and it fits in with my modeling era, so back onto arch bars, but now in my CVRR livery.

Total pain repairing monofilament trussrods.....rest was reasonably straightforward; even putting sheet lead inside for a little weight wasn't as annoying.

I use surgical silk for trussrods and I've used brass wire, but whenever I get a kit with monofilament in it, that stuff heads straight into the trash.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

George D
Moderator

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  12:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, what's the problem with using monofilament lines for truss rods?

George
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  1:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Martin, what's the problem with using monofilament lines for truss rods?

George



After it snaps off the inside end of the car, it's tough to get it re-attached to much of anything unless it's physically anchored; end gluing the broken ends of something that's under tension is tough. That's why I just "tacked" it down close to the end where it's not noticeable with a tiny wood screw - it also likes to curl up and fight back when you're trying to work with it - one hand holding the tweezers, another holding the glue(s), another hand steadying the car, and I'm running out of hands!

Also seems to feel like it's getting brittle....

I prefer using a single length of surgical silk these days, but I guess 20-40 years from now it may have its own problems.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

George D
Moderator

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get surgical silk?

George
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  4:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Where do you get surgical silk?

George



Now there's the rub......

I scored a carton and a bit more of 3 different sizes about 20 years ago that was being trashed at work. Spools of it still on the wooden spools sealed under plastic. Today you can only get pre-measured sterile sutures.

I'd think that some of the fine braided fishing lines might be of use, but I'd bet that they would be synthetics, say braided nylon.

You want a few feet, drop me an address

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really nice work, Martin.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

George D
Moderator

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  6:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Where do you get surgical silk?

George



Now there's the rub......

I scored a carton and a bit more of 3 different sizes about 20 years ago that was being trashed at work. Spools of it still on the wooden spools sealed under plastic. Today you can only get pre-measured sterile sutures.

I'd think that some of the fine braided fishing lines might be of use, but I'd bet that they would be synthetics, say braided nylon.

You want a few feet, drop me an address



Thanks for the offer, Martin, but I don't have an immediate need for it, but I may want you to bring some to the next MER convention so I can take a look at the stuff. I'll send you a reminder.

George
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  8:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Where do you get surgical silk?

George



Now there's the rub......

I scored a carton and a bit more of 3 different sizes about 20 years ago that was being trashed at work. Spools of it still on the wooden spools sealed under plastic. Today you can only get pre-measured sterile sutures.

I'd think that some of the fine braided fishing lines might be of use, but I'd bet that they would be synthetics, say braided nylon.

You want a few feet, drop me an address



Thanks for the offer, Martin, but I don't have an immediate need for it, but I may want you to bring some to the next MER convention so I can take a look at the stuff. I'll send you a reminder.

George



Sure. Even if I forget, I'll be commuting to the 2013 MER convention so I will be able to bring some for you one day or another.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  4:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next up in the queue:





Looks to be built following the plans from an MR in 1953.... Basically no underbody and missing the brake wheel; that's not hard to address, but that paint job.....


To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  12:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One underbody later.........



Now to test out some of the reefer yellow that I found in my shop to see how far off it is from the paint on this car.....

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000