Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jschumaker
Fireman

USA
1372 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jeff - do you drill out the headlights or just put the drop of CA on the surface?

Don,

I put a drop on the surface, after painting it.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

djdutch
Crew Chief

Netherlands
765 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  6:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I begin to model april this year and the Jordans show me the fun of H0 craftsman models a Jordan is nothing to be afraid off I take a vieuw over the kit and think about what the function had to be looking for pictures at google and then I begin first thing the color so I first paint the parts with a brush and keep the places in mind where to glue and place some details.

first I build the chassis then the cabin (details) wheels (details)

here are my first 3 first the hotrod then the model a pick up for last the model AA with real wooden flatbed original it had to be the tank truck

regards DJ

DJ
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  7:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, DJ. Please post more pictures as you move along with the models.

I have been working a bit on my two Jordans but realized it was only two weeks until Christmas and I had done absolutely nothing so now I'm shopping, baking, wrapping, etc. It may be a few days before I get back to the bench.

Don
Go to Top of Page

djdutch
Crew Chief

Netherlands
765 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  05:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah Don I know what you mean, those little kits taking a lot of time away the normal kits take me about 3 days.

the second Jordan I build was the model A pick up
the shop here in the netherlands where ik can buy them is about 20 mile from my place.

and the gasoline is real expensive over here so when I go I make a list and always buy one ore two Jordan kits.
so far I know its the only place where I can buy them.

so I went to the shop with my girlfriend and the choice was between the Model A sedan ore the Model A pick up she made the choice of the car and I made the choice of color.
here is the card that I give her for her birthday

the open window is made from a leftover of the hot rod kit you only had to cut off the dash it maby is to thick but it gives the car just a little more detail and it is easier to do than to cut a window by yourself

The Harley is made from an artitec kit.
A dutch manufacturer that makes resin kits on a high level.

so that's all for now I need to make some pictures from my costum build hot rod pick up

succes met de kerstinkopen regards DJ

DJ
Go to Top of Page

djdutch
Crew Chief

Netherlands
765 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  05:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Don the last line had to be:success with the Christmas shopping

regards DJ

DJ
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been plugging away on the Jordans. I'm about to finish my fourth. I think I have overcome my fear of Jordans - but I've also discovered that I'm not really all that excited about spending a whole lot of hours on tiny vehicles. Apologies to Chester - maybe I'm just overdosed.

Here are some more pictures of the Mack dump truck.

The kits included two sets of decals - one for a coal company and one for a material supply company. I opted to use the material supply decals so I could use the truck in the bridge repair scene on my module.

Because the decals are while, I painted the areas where they would go with a darker grey and applied a gloss coat of Future.

Here's the truck after decaling and weathering. The weathering is mostly Bragdon powders applied with alcohol and washed down with alcohol until I had the grime level I wanted.

In the picture above you can sort of see how I painted the chain drive, using techniques armor modelers use on tank treads.

I decided to have the dump truck bringing in a load of new boards for the bridge. I'll pose an LP on top, handing boards down to another construction worker.

Here the trucks are on the bridge - not permanently placed yet.

My next project was the Packard stake truck. That was quite challenging - maybe too much so. The parts count is high - lots of steering rods and brake rods and very tiny fender brackets - and the paint scheme I chose was very fussy, as you'll see. By the time I finished it, I was royally sick of it.

Here's a right hand side view of the completed model - or at least as completed as it's going to get right now. Once I've worked on something else for a while, I may come back and try to make some improvements.

Left side view. I tried to handle the hood louvers by first painting them black and then dry brushing with yellow acrylic. Didn't work.

I painted the undercarriage and wheel centers with Badger Modelflex signal red. This was not a good choice. I'm told it airbrushes well; but it certainly didn't brush well. It clogged the detail in the wheels, and developed pinholes from bubbles on the fenders. Live and learn.

I gave the undercarriage a "sludge wash" with burnt umber artists oil highly diluted in mineral spirits which toned down the way-too-bright look in the picture above. It also brought out the details.

I'll load this truck up with nail kegs and tool boxes and add it to the bridge scene. Not sure if I'll weather it much - I like the bright yellow.

More later. (I'm trying to do this post and juggle cell phone calls. Grrrr....)

Jordan number four is another Mack - this time a tank truck. Here's some pictures:

Here's a close-up of the "box art."

Here are the parts sprues - a decent number of pieces parts but way fewer than the Packard from Hell:

I have this truck completely assembled, except for gluing on the wheels. Per Karl O's suggestion, I primed it with a rattle can and will start apply the color coat with acrylics after the primer has dried overnight. I'll sand it with 400 grit where it needs it - the primer came out a bit rough on the top.

I decided to give myself a break and omit the optional windscreen. I also wound up omitting the headlights because one of them went flying and I never found it.

I think I'll paint it all one color - I've had enough of fussy brush painting for a while.

More pictures this weekend.

Don

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 01/13/2012 8:42:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
6330 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  7:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Don, when you are ready I have aabout 10-15 I can send your way. Number of old Mac, etc. trucks.

Walt

Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Stumps

Well Don, when you are ready I have aabout 10-15 I can send your way. Number of old Mac, etc. trucks.

Walt, this would not be the right time to talk about me doing 10-15 more Jordans - unless you're planning to use 100 dollar bills instead of bubble wrap.

[:-crazy]

Don
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  9:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All your Jordans including the packard look very good. I find that all it takes in a little time and patience to build these little gems. Right now I have the 1913 fire truck on my workbench. I airbrushed everything in red and now it's time for brush-painting the details and assembly.

I may not be fast, but I'm slow
Go to Top of Page

djdutch
Crew Chief

Netherlands
765 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like them don, very good :) also love the bridge do you made it yourself ?

DJ

DJ
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djdutch

I like them don, very good :) also love the bridge do you made it yourself ?

DJ

Hi, DJ - thanks for the compliment. Yes, the bridge is scratchbuilt. Here's a link to the thread that covers it:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22378&whichpage=11

I'm doing research for the final bridge on that module; there doesn't seem to be much information available about it so I may have to "invent" some of the design.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17602 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great build on the Jordans, Don. When you overcome, you overcome...
And I remember your making of this bridge, it was a pleasure to follow your fine work.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the Tank Truck assembled, painted and sanded - ready to start applying the color coat.

I've had good luck brushing Tamiya finishes so I think I'll try Deck Tan on this truck.

Busy day today - yoga, errands, lunch with friends, and then on to the MR Club for the second to the last weekend of the Holiday Show. (Oy, will I be glad when THAT is over!) Then on to the rehab facility to visit my friend who is, at long last, out of the hospital and getting some strength back. The point of all that blather is that I probably won't have a chance to work on the Jordan until Sunday.

I'm also building two (identical) Ambroid Western Union Material Cars - maybe I'll start a thread on that:

Ambroid WU matl car sdes and plan resized

Yunz have a nice Saturday!

Don
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

Thanks for the comments.
Glen - good luck with that fire engine. I've heard it is quite challenging.
Frederic - thanks for the kind words.
Here's a picture of the fourth and final (I think) bridge on the module:

43rdstbrg1870

Obviously, the model will be muchly shortened. I'd need a couple of modules to do it full-length.

I haven't had much luck searching for information about the 43rd Street Bridge on-line. I think I'll set aside a day and go to the Carnegie main library and try to get some help exploring their collections.

Once I have the vehicles finished, I'll add to the thread on the module as I place them and "crew" them.

I put the first coat of Tamiya "deck tan" on the tank truck. It laid down nicely. I made some fine sanding sticks with coffee stirrers and 400, 800 and 1200 grit wet-or-dry paper. I'll sand and re-coat tomorrow.

Don
Go to Top of Page

djdutch
Crew Chief

Netherlands
765 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  8:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for your tread don I love it

DJ

DJ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000