railman28
Fireman

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  5:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Prototype
And
My love-hate relationship with it.

The Coos Bay, Roseburg & Eastern Railroad and Navigation Co. is my prototype. They started building in 1891 in Marshfield (today Coos Bay) had gone 5 miles to Dunham its first year, another 5 miles the next to reach Cedar Point. 1893 found 5 more miles built putting the end of line at Coquille City (now the County seat) They then got a burst of energy to build to Myrtle Point to arrive in August of that year. The Spreckles people bought the Railroad in 1903 and sold it to Southern Pacific in 1906. Then in about 1914 the Smith-Powers Company built a Railroad to Powers (to be operated by the SP as a Common Carrier) and turned up into the forest as a logging line operated by Smith-Power. In 1894 she had 3 engines, 5 boxcars, about 10 “coal” cars, 30 flatcars and 50 logging cars. One Caboose and one passenger car rounded out the rolling stock.
So why was this railroad built? Eons ago the Coquille River shifted its course from empting out into Coos Bay to entering the sea were Brandon is located today. The Coquille Valley had some potential to be farmed and grazed and a whole lot of timber. These products of this valley needed easy transportation into Coos Bay and to the sea (the mouth of the Coquille had its problems once you finally got there through several twists and turns the river takes in the last few miles). Additionally, on the peninsula that separates Coos Bay from the sea, Coal was found. And there was a market for coal in San Francisco and this coal supported two relatively successful mines. One of these mines was owned by the interest that built the railroad.
So how could I resist. Especially with such colorful place name as Marshfield, Coalbank Slough and Isthmus Slough off set by more refined names such as Coquille, Myrtle Point and Arago. So I started to do some research into this little road. Next time I’ll introduce you to Myrtle point.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

TrainClown
Fireman

Canada
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  12:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff! I love that second photo. Those shop-built type "critters" really catch my imagination.

Christopher [:-clown]

Clowning around with trains.

Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
1679 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  2:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's another one of those local shopped oddities.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  3:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's awesome. Its steam punk. Also it looks like about the same model as the World's Fastest Indian.
L&N
Jon

Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Crew Chief

USA
995 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  5:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Orange County Choppers meets Thomas the Tank Engine.

Dave H.
Keep 'em painted side up
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These sound like great subjects to model, Bob. The last one seems tough to reproduce in HO scale, though.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  6:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the first two shoots taken in the 60's. And yes, it would be hard to model ether but that is not so with the railroad of the 90's. Here is Myrtle Point, then end of the line;

Talk about your basic necessities. A simple depot. The main line and passing/depot track and seen behind the depot; a turntable, a stock chute and what looks like a Wood Rick but is probably a coal chute (to receive coal). You can see that the main continues past and serves as a small yard. Log or flats can be made out sitting on it. Only three turnouts would be needed. Scratch building everything here shouldn't take more than a year (Troels could do it in a week I think). Here's a close up of the turntable;

Yes, She burns coal. Yes, this is Oregon.
I did say in my first installment that coal was mined on the peninsula. Next time let me tell about the coal mines and the other railroad that served the other company (it's 30' gauge)..

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 11/28/2011 6:36:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

389 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  7:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
A great bunch of pictures.

I believe you are modeling in HO? Have you found an engine that would come close to that 4-4-0 beauty on the turn table? I would think that a kit-bashed Tyco 4-6-0 (Petticoat Junction model) might just fill the bill with some rework.

Greg R.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  7:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
I do model HO. I think the Tyco 4-6-0 just too big for anything. I would start with a PFM or Balboa UP 119 or even a (gag, gag) Bachmann version. I think this Engine was originally a Pittsburgh or Grant build but I haven't been able to find out. But there will be more on how I model this prototype.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
4445 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a UP 119 would be the best starting point. The old Cary Pittsburgh boiler is way too modern for this loco.

dave
Go to Top of Page

fireman93514
Engine Wiper

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are really nice. Thanks for sharing them. As a side note I grew up a few miles north of Coos Bay. I would love to go back some day.

John
Go to Top of Page

jcoop
Fireman

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too grew up not too far from that area (Roseburg), had no idea there was that early of steam in the area.
Great pics and great info,

Would love to see more if you have it.

thanks
John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 17th 2014
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  12:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To both Johns, I'm happy you're enjoying the pictures. There will be more to come. The second picture of the 1st installment could be the earliest steam engine in Oregon. Its operation is recorded as starting in the 60's about the same time the Oregon Pony started working the Columbia's Cascade portage.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 11/29/2011 12:35:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  9:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those first two pics are real gems-early railroading at its most basic, wooden rails and trucks. Nice to see someone model a prototype off the beaten path, looking forward to following this thread
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  9:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Observation on the first pic: what kind of self respecting Oregonian would skimp on wood for a bridge?
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  9:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob-the Douglas County Museum in Roseburg has some cool pics of your prototype, as well as some interesting early pics of coal mining in the Coos Bay area.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000