Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10356 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job Ralph! Kids today don't get the same exposure many of us got when we were kids. Back then, having a train around the Christmas tree was the in thing and provided the foundation of our hobby. Most people don't do that today so many kids aren't exposed to the hobby.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  7:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I overheard one 6 yr old boy after running a train with me for a while, tell his dad on the way out. This is the greatest day ever!

How good did that Father feel after taking his kit to see the trains.
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  9:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with my friend this morning, and like most things in life, it isn't entirely as black and white as we would all like. In most cases (caveat warning!), your homeowner's policy would apply, since hosting a layout visit is literally no different than hosting a party, which certainly isn't excluded.

That being said, an certain unnamed operator took a semi-spill down my steps at the last session, a result of wet conditions outside and more slippery-than-I-thought treads on the basement steps. Thankfully he wasn't injured, but it did give me pause...as well as one more thing that needs to be done before the next session: add grittier treads.

Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  08:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
Thanks for the info. It seems logical that homeowners would cover it but then again, we are dealing with lawyers and professional nitpickers. I'll make a note to check with my agent.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182
Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  08:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"certain unnamed operator took a semi-spill down my steps at the last session, a result of wet conditions outside and more slippery-than-I-thought treads on "

Not a drop of coffee was spilled ,,,,,

Cheers!, Joe

Edited by - dnhman on 11/08/2011 08:58:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  3:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Rick suggested, I spoke with my agent and he said about the same thing. As long as no admission was charged, homeowners insurance covers me. Of course, policies have monetary limits so it makes sense to review what yours are. Other than that, an open house is no different from a Christmas party.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

"certain unnamed operator took a semi-spill down my steps at the last session, a result of wet conditions outside and more slippery-than-I-thought treads on "

Not a drop of coffee was spilled ,,,,,

A truly amazing display of agility...I think the judges from the Soviet Union gave a 9.8 for your landing! LOL.

As Arnold pointed out, it's more about your own personal comfort zone than anything else; my personal preference is to host officially sanctioned events so that I have some degree of reassurance.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25233 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  6:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold & Mike,

Bonnie and I will try to get to your open houses on Sunday. We will be staying by our son's house at McGuire AFB Saturday and will head down your way when we leave Sunday morning.

That is the plan, anyway.

Hope to see you then.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be helping out Dave Skinner again on Sunday. He had just north of 300 people last Sat.
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  1:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bruce,
Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. The RC is chillin' and the Moonpies are fresh from the factory!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25233 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  4:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold,

We will be there close to opening, then work our way north seeing a few more on the way home.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had over 60 sign-ins on Sunday. Obviously the people count is more as one sign-in meant 2 to 4 people in some cases. So this was pretty successful this year compared to past years. In fact I only had one break for about 10 minutes where no one was in the basement. The last 2 people left about 4:40.

Most people were not ones that saw the layout in September during the Division Meet. A decidedly more public group, but some model railroaders from DE and MD as well. Quite a few kids and most parent's were very cautious with them and also thanked me a great deal, which was nice. One kid actually cried because he had to leave!

So, I don't know. I find it a bit more relaxing when I know it is the regular train guys, but there is a different level of satisfaction from knowing that you are presenting the hobby to people who only have a certain perception of it, mostly Lionel or toy trains of some sort. I also have a separate side entrance that limits where people travel in the house, so I am not as concerned as others might be if they need people to come through the front door.

Now that the open house is over, time to start making a mess again and get back to work!

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25233 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I'm glad that I finally made it down south far enough to visit you Northeast Kingdom RR and Arnold's Royal & Edisto.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Steam Nut
Fireman

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  07:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Mike I agree, We had 80 some at John's. A big step up from other years. Now next weekend its time to hit the road and see some other layouts.
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I had about 70 (we lost count of some of the kids) at the Royal and Edisto. Like you, I did not have a break all afternoon. The first visitor was parked in front of the house at 11:45 and the last didn't leave until after 5. I also had some repeat guests including some Forum members who visited last year. And of course, one special guest who brought her husband Bruce along.
The newspaper articles definitely helped. Many of the folks who came were unaware of the website. They had either read the newspaper or seen the flyers at another layout. I tried to push everyone toward you and John if they hadn't been to see you first. We should thank PJ for including us on the sheet he hands out.
All of the kids who visited were very well-behaved. I have a two step stool that has a hand rail for them to hold. That helped them see the trains better. There was a little reaching and pointing but it seemed that they all had been warned by mom or dad to not touch anything. The total damage for the day was one broken tree that is easily repaired. If that's the price for getting some younger folks involved in the hobby, it is a minor one. Like you, I had kids who didn't want to leave.
I will continue to participate as I think it really helps promote the hobby. You could see the light bulb go off for some people as they realized the difference between a model railroad and a toy train set.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

Edited by - akimmons on 11/16/2011 09:24:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page