Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

eTraxx
Fireman

USA
2429 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  2:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Mark .. looking forward to that. I have had the decals .. need to get something to put them on .. keep forgetting as been working on other things.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2494 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...And I have a small fleet of cars that need lettering but no decals...but like Ed, no time right now...
Go to Top of Page

okiecrip
Engine Wiper

USA
392 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  8:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the decals mite try do do a car this weekend
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10137 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...so where are the pictures that will convince me to get rolling on this endeavour?
;-)

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

eTraxx
Fireman

USA
2429 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  11:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gary told me to go ahead and decal his Gondola I put coke in. I keep forgetting.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2494 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  12:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Decals ordered, I am going to see how they look on a few cars.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone decalled anything yet?

This is a great idea. I'm thinking of decalling everything for my Port San Luis and San Joaquin for CNGR instead. Haven't started painting yet, so it will be easier and cheaper than custom decals (I think)
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  5:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My decals turned up today, with the Annual.

My CNGR Combine. I thought things looked better but the cammera brings out all the flaws.

Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2494 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  01:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice decal job, John! The maroon finish with the decals looks really snazzy. (Can I say 'snazzy' without sounding like an old guy?)

I finally got to a tank car and gondola tonight:

The cars look nice, and the decals were easy to use.

I did the tank car first. I really like the big 'CONSOL' in outline lettering.

The decals snuggled down on the gloss clear coat I had applied. These shots were taken less than an hour after applying the decals, I still need to spray a flat clear finish over the cars.

Here is the gondola. I like the look, unfortunately no car numbers were provided with the white CNGR decals, so I will need to find something that is a close match.

If you look closely, you might notice the characters spelling 'CONSOLIDATED' don't line up perfectly. I had to apply the letters individually, as the spacing is too wide on the decal to allow inserting the 4-letter strings between the stake pockets. It only took a few extra minutes to apply the individual letters, just pay attention or you could have a car lettered 'CONSOLDIATED'!
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4060 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  06:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice decals verne! i see what you mean with the misalignment, but i have to look pretty hard.

and its ok, i say snazzy often, and im 21 :D (so that could mean you're "down with da kidz" or i was born far to late)
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Verne. Your cars look great. Cutting the words to fit was definitely worth it. I'm having a devil of a job getting the old lettering off (the passenger cars were undec.) Has Bachman made a change ti its pad ink formula.

What are you guys using?

Snazzy reminds me of Professor Bunsen
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4060 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have you tried rubbing alcohol john? it takes a while but it seemed to work for me
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5751 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, John and Verne, the cars came out great. I need to get me some of those decals and join in in the fun.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2494 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  9:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy, thanks...I now feel older that dirt! But I'm standing by my 'snazzy' comment for John's car anyway!

I have used rubbing alcohol, the paint Bachmann uses must be some kind of space-age super coating...it does not like to come off! I have also used ELO (Easy LIft-Off) from the hobby shop, forget who sells it.

Ron, I recommend the decals, despite some extra cutting!

By the way, in case you haven't been to the CNGR page on the On30 Annual site, you can now register your railroad to be added to a 'system map'. Check it out: http://on30annual.com/extra/on30_extra_consolidatedsystem.php
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an organic chemist by education and have tried everything on hand and nothing works, although several mixes will take the body paint off!

I'll look for ELO, or at least its formulation.

The CNGR maps have not reached the West Coast, home of the SL&SJ yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000