Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
4982 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  8:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too sure how many times I read all the comments on this thread this morning, but I have to say ( like others )... this is awesome modeling. Luv all the scenery, combined with the dinky motive power. The whole bridge scene is an award winner. Man you captured the spirit of the canyons, with the small river below. 3D "Artwork" at the highest level. Congratulations and hope you break all the rules on this project.

Could you please advise where the cacti was obtained. reagrds "M"

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_for_sale__model_railroad_items.html
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2494 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  01:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane, the bridge scene really turned out fantastic! How about a wrecked ore car that derailed and went down in the canyon? Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

Dustymalaymann
Engine Wiper

Malaysia
133 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  02:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Dustymalaymann a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Duane great photographs of an impressive scene. You really have the canyon depth well represented here and I love the rock structure. Looks like an extremely hot day with bright sunlight when everything looses its colour. I think you would have to pay me to travel over that Bridge. Excellant modelling.

Keith Miller
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4721 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  03:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great modeling and photography!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M -The cactus are scratchbuilt. I spent a fair amount of time looking on the internet for cactus, and purchased some on ebay that are barely acceptible for background use, but there basically are none available: I'm still improving mine, but they are labor intensive:

Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vern-I was thinking of putting a smashed ore car and one of the T y P's Porter #2 on the ledge near the bottom of the canyon. I suppose in true Southwestern fashion I could put a few crosses on the bridge to show where ol' # 2 and crew left us...
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've spent a fair amount of time in southern Arizona's Sonora desert, and I think you've done an amazing job capturing the landscape...

dave

Edited by - deemery on 07/17/2011 12:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave-I grew up in the Sonoran desert finding ghost towns, climbing in old mines and chasing trains, and really miss it. The T y P is my way of remembering the sunny desert while living in the rainy northwest.
Go to Top of Page

huffman60
Engine Wiper

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
elminero67: I sure miss it too. I found out i missed a lot of places. I used to go four wheelin' in the superstisions on weekends. I saw a lot of places most people never see.
John
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  9:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John-There are some great old mining roads and nice country in and around the superstitions. The mountain I painted for my backdrop behind the mission is the small mountain south of the Superstitions, don't know its name:

Didn't really think about it, but the backdrop fits as the photograph was taken looking at the Magma Arizona Railroad, and the two-tone yellow on white paint scheme I used on the diesels is copied from the Magma Arizona Railroad.
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  11:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an extremely boring training at work today. Sat and feinged interest while playing with photoshop with a couple of pics that didnt work out:

Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  12:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Duane,

I'm not sure why you think they may not work- they look fine to me! I especially like the first one.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  12:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Going to take another chance and post this one here- only because I think it really deserves to be seen. This is from Malcolm Furlow's extremely elusive HOn3 "Denver & Rio Chama Western."

Ironically, as much of a photographer as Furlow is, and as often as his pictures have appeared in MRR and other magazines, I feel that this masterpiece of his is the least photographed. You can see the heavy John Allen influence.

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great shot. I think I need to see if I can dig up some old Model Railroaders and the Gorre and Daphitid book, I haven't seen those pics since the 1970s, and they are clearly dated, but there is alot of interesting stuff going on there:

I suspect one of the reasons that many people were bothered by Furlow and to a degree, Olsen is that if you break down the components, i.e. the scenery or structures, none of them "work" on there own. The rocks bear no resemblence to any real geological formation. The bridges are not realistic, particularly 5-6 bridges in the same scene, are not plausible, yet the scene as a whole "works." I think this drove alot of modellers nuts that spent years building a superdetailed locomotive or a well-researched, period correct building only to find that their scenes didnt photograph nearly as well as Furlow's scenes. Neither is right or wrong, just different priorities.
Go to Top of Page

reklein
Engine Wiper

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Elminero, was thinking about your comments on Furlow and Olsen.I think by now we can say those modelers were trying to produce caractures rather than real subjects.I think that if one wants to get a point across,exaggeration is the way to do it.For example every Hollywood movie is an exaggeration to a point, but we can still believe the out come.
I like your desert scenes BTW. The wife and I drove to Phoenix from Idaho by way of Nevada a few years back and were quite impressed by the scenery. Youv'e done a good job of representing that look. Bill in Idaho.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000