Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The clouds stayed away long enough to get a few more pics of the layout before rolling back into the dungeon. As with all of the pics, I just wanted to see how the overall compositions work, so Im not worried about blemishes and lack of details. Strange how some of the compositions that I planned and thought would work out, didnt: this view of the abandoned church doesnt capture the feel of a vacant,open space that I had hoped for.

The second one shows the mining camp as of today. Need to think about the best way to finish this location.

Edited by - elminero67 on 07/10/2011 6:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17658 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  6:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good!

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5914 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even tho you think you didn't get a wide open space on the church I think the pictures breath a great atmosphere!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  10:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Duane. The ore cars would look good on the Arroyo Mines RR.

Bill Uffelman
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  11:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vern-you nailed it on the Magma Az rr paint scheme, although the T y P uses a simplified version. The redish hue is only partially intentional. The loose talus is a naturally reddish shale that comes from an outcropping on the Silver City, Pinos Altos & Mogollon right of way. Ive tried other shales and rocks but none have the same texture, so when Im back in the desert I stock up. For color on the cliffs etc. I just match the shale. Having said that, all of the local stores have discontinued the brand of spray paint I used for scenery, and I can't match the colors with any other brand.
Go to Top of Page

Sully
Fireman

USA
2610 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  5:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane, just getting caught up on everyone's progress. Your scenery is top shelf! You've really nailed the coloration. Looking forward to more....sully
Go to Top of Page

Hopeless
Fireman

USA
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the natural light it almost looks real. Very nice modeling.

Roland
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  9:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and compliments. looking over the pics it's pretty easy to see some things that are working - as well as some that aren't. Some of the fixes will be easy, like the telephone pole and powerlines that can be photoshopped out. Others are a little more challenging: take this view of the Tumacacari Mission:

This is about the angle I was hoping to shoot, but the backdrop was too narrow, so I had to shift the backdrop to the right and out of position. Im thinking I may have to paint another one wide enough to accomodate this angle. A couple of other details that will help will be to use smaller, less detailed saguaro cactus in the background, and to maybe replace the little ravine with the flat desert?

Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4740 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  01:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good! You are definately on the right track!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  08:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd try a wider backdrop first. The ravine is a nice feature and the cactii look fine.

Bill Uffelman
In hot steamy Ocean View DE
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2521 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  12:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane, you mentioned in your second round of photos that you removed some details when you worked at low angles. I learned the hard way to mount most scenic details...saguaros, trees, even buildings...so they are removable to allow camera placement on the layout, and to eliminate distractions to photo composition. After the shooting, they go back in place and it looks natural to the eye. Just a suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

quarryman
Fireman

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  06:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane-

Excellent job of matching colors on the backdrop to the colors on the layout. The backdrop serves the purpose of extending the scene and establishing the setting very well.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com
Go to Top of Page

Sully
Fireman

USA
2610 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  09:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind the mission was built a long time before the rr showed up.....when the rr laid out their line they had to deal with grades etc....it was the rr that created the ravine, so to me, it's obsolutely "right on"....
Perhaps the coloring of the hillside on the right is "redder"sp? than the area in front of the mission and the coloration needs to be blended a bit more....
But again, it could be simply the lighting and look fine.
Again, super scene....looking forward to more....
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4087 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh wow! honestly if it wasnt for the last photo where we can see the edges on the backscene id been fooled into thinking these are prototype photos!
i wish my modeling was this good
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17658 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  05:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also vote for widening the backdrop. I really love the scene (and find this mission an outstanding model).

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000