Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

USA
1456 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swamp coolers work best in dry environments, where the moisture can evaporate quickly. That's why they were popular in the desert. In areas with high humidity a swamp cooler would do little good.

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So why are they called swamp coolers in the USA, not desert coolers, like other places?

It would seem that they would not be effective in a swamp; too much humidity?
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  4:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it refers to the fact they smell musty and swampy
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part II of the "postcard series," a 1950s Chrome card:
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another photo realistic scene.

I know that there is a word starting with T, probably in red. As a severely colorblind person, I cannot read it. I'n the 50's they probably didn't give a toss, but I mention it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

n6nvr
Engine Wiper

313 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  12:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tumacacori, one of the early mission sites south of Tucson in Arizona.

Probably the most famous mission in the area is San Xavier Del Bac on the Tohono Reservation. That church has been beautifully restored. Worth googling images for what the post card mission ruins might look like if they weren't a little worse for wear. (and on a larger scale)

Don't push me bureaucrat, I've got a bit of hangover
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  07:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pic!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Donde esta mi amigo, senor Duane?

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 03/20/2012 11:52:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

littledave
Engine Wiper

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  3:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I missed a lot of what you have done. BEATIFUL.
My shop is in the middle of an old Industrial warehouse complex in Florida, one of the buildings use to have a swamp cooler on the roof.
Dave
Orlando, Fl.
Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2261 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  08:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful photos! I love how realistic they are and how relatively downplayed the railroad element of the photos are

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  8:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks-things have been slow on the T & P. weeds are growing, rust is settling in and the trains aint running. Have a few projects I need to complete to keep things on the homefront in harmony before jumping back in...
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1217 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how real your postcards look. The whole layout for that matter. Keep up the great work.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  5:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY!!!Thee Torres & Prietas Mining and Railroad Co. are currently hiring!!!

Currently hiring miners for $2.00 per day, and mining inspectors for $20.00 per day. PM me if you are interested in this rewarding employment opportunity! Handerchiefs provided for qualified applicants.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  6:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very tempting offer, senor mining Presidente. Are mining inspectors actually expected to show results, or is merely looking busy enough? I am better at the latter, but can work when absolutely necessary. If I am found lacking in Mining Inspection, I will offer my services as a Miner. If found lacking as a Miner, I will take whatever menial work is available. I am particularly skilled posing as a worker for Company stock certificates and annual report illustrations, dodging bullets sent my general direction and making up excuses. An Executive Assistant to el Presidente, perhaps?

I only live to serve. Already packing my mule...

EDIT: Regarding above photo, please tell me your mine is having problems with 'high graders' smuggling out the best ore and is inspecting miners. If this is what Mining Inspectors are expected to do, I would like $30 a day please. And a TSA badge.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 04/27/2012 6:39:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

USA
1456 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  01:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darn, you beat me to the "TSA" joke! :)

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000