Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10156 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  08:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the finest scenery work and painting I have seen.....
very, very nice!!!

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  08:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Postcard is perfect. Just the thing for visitors to send home to the family.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Engler
Fireman

USA
1237 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  08:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane- Beautiful work. What a neat Christmas postcard to send to all your forum friends. We can provide addresses and stamps.

I am blown away by the scenery. Your modeling of saguaro cactus is by far the best I have ever seen. I have spent a lot of time in AZ and always have been fascinated by them.
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments and feedback. Next time I have a photo session Ill play around with different consists, and hopefully more of the town of Douglas will be finished.
Meanwhile Im planning a series postcards. Ill look through old pics and see if any of them look like good candidates.

BTW, in addition to the ice machine, can anyone else spot at least three details in the postcard pic that are not period-correct for circa 1910?

Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4060 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  4:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elminero67

Thanks for the compliments and feedback. Next time I have a photo session Ill play around with different consists, and hopefully more of the town of Douglas will be finished.
Meanwhile Im planning a series postcards. Ill look through old pics and see if any of them look like good candidates.

BTW, in addition to the ice machine, can anyone else spot at least three details in the postcard pic that are not period-correct for circa 1910?

ermm something not period-correct for 1910?

well bachmann didnt start making on30 then :D

really though this is an outstanding photo. if its not already posted in the lastely mounthly gallery i think it should be
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  5:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The truck is far too late fot 1910, as are its tyres and other details and I suspect that some of the signage is too modern, but I cannot read it.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  8:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Truck, swamp cooler in window, and the A-1 beer sign? The steel guardrails also seem too modern for 1910. But if you don't mention a date, nobody's going to nitpick this fantastic scene!
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  8:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bingo, the truck is obviously the Athearn Ford, 1932 iirc. The A-1 sign and swamp cooler are post WWII. One item that is hard to see, and one of my favorite southwestern features is the old tires on the corrugated tin roof on the house upper right. Im not sure when that become popular, but imagine after WWII.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  8:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What/where is a swamp cooler? Swamp and desert do not seem to go together. You owlud think they would use a desert cooler.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/04/2012 9:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  9:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
swamp cooler is the local name for an evaporative cooler. Regular air conditioning isnt as effective in the desert, so a "swamp cooler" works by filtering the air through water soaked filters. The evaporating process drops the temp of the air significantly, making places like Phoenix and Yuma inhabitable. Its hard to overstate how big of an impact swamp coolers were to the southwest. Pheonix, Las Vegas and other towns in the desert would be much, much smaller. AC/swamp cooling were devastating to southwestern architecture as well, from that point on architects and builders stopped thinking about making buildings comfortable and using intelligent materials and designs, i.e. adobe, tall ceilings with transom windows etc. Sorry, Ill get off the soap box...
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for explaining my local jargon...it was the evaporative cooler that made relatively dry, hot places like those mentioned by Duane livable in the summer. They are cheaper and simpler than actual AC, and are still popular as a lower cost alternative to AC...all they need is a water supply and a fan motor, whereas an AC requires a compressor as well. You can even get portable evaporative cooler units for the garage, etc., and roll them away when you don't need them.

Before EC and AC, people would hang damp sheets in their open windows to get some evaporative cooling effect from the breeze, but few people alive today would remember seeing them and recognize the detail anyway.

Duane, I think your soapbox is fine! I have never understood that the acres of tract homes around Phoenix use virtually none of the architectural components that would make their homes naturally cooler...long roof eaves to shade the side walls, thick insulating walls, small windows, tile or stone flooring, attic ventilation, etc. Some homes had a sub-roof a few inches beneath the weather roof to allow a layer of air to cool the structure below. None of those clever methods are used by most builders today, it seems the name of the game is to build heat-absorbing boxes and pump more energy into an AC unit!

Regarding the photo, I wouldn't change any details, they tell the story of a desert town...unless you are really shooting for that 1910 appearance! The A-1 sign juxtaposed with the desert scenery makes me dry and thirsty just looking at it!

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 02/05/2012 12:20:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  11:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for being patient with my architectural soapbox, it can be hard to avoid tangents when you are passionate about them.

Edited by - elminero67 on 02/05/2012 11:49:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I still like the photo. I really like the composition.

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  11:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it.

I know that device (evaporative cooler) as a Desert Cooler. It's a very old technology. Cooling towers that capture wind and blow it through water are very old, and I thought that Desert Coolers (electric fan, water supply, and wood wool diffuser) dated before WWI, in Australia at least.

I'm with you on the architecture bit. Intelligent design, location, and orientation, and trees and shrubbery can help a lot. Architecture style has consequences. Our house in Florida would be grim in the summer if not for the 8" thick concrete block walls.

People also need to be a bit 'tougher' 80 -85F is not so bad, your house does not need to be in the 60s in mid summer.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/05/2012 11:44:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the window mounted swamp cooler as a subtle tribute to one of my architectural history professors: He felt that a window mounted unit indicated the architect had failed. I did the A-1 sign because I like cheap beer. Hard to imagine that during the prohibition those poor chaps had to live without either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000