CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane, es un photografia fantastico! The natural light and sky combined with your beautiful scenery make for a stunning photo.

Can we see more of your SP #1 - in photos it looked bigger than a GE 70-tonner, almost like a Baldwin. I am also curious what you think of the loco, how it runs, etc.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  12:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A thought regarding the mill...how about extending it forward a bit by adding a slightly lower story for the separating tables, etc. You could remove the beam running along the floor in the front and replace the center support so it reaches all the way to the floor, and have more space in front and slightly below. I think you have enough room for the bullwheel and the power supply could be in an adjoining building with a boiler, steam engine and belt drive. Fantasonics makes a great steam-powered stamp mill sound track.
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  2:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vern-I'll try to take a few more pics of the Espee loco if I can roll the T y P outside either later today or tomorrow-although my window for outdoor photography is quickly closing. Also, the footprint for the mill won't allow for expansion other than a side addition for the engine room and a few water tanks, but I think Ive got a decent compromise figured out with a non-operational 5-stamp mill inside.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19689 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous picture. [:-thumbu]

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

USA
1456 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  12:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great photo! Very authentic looking scenery, and nothing beats natural light.

Also, I like the way the train runs through the cut, down in the canyon. One thing I regret about my own layout is that I couldn't do very much of that. I only have one spot on the layout where the scenery rises above the train on both sides of the track, plus one shallow cut.

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray-this has been my first attempt at a layout, and the learning curve has been huge. There are many, many booboos on the Torres & Prietas Railroad-some days I just want to start over. Many of the scenes I envisioned just didn't work out, and others that I didnt foresee being photographic did-like this shot going through the cut, turned out to be good photographic locations. But the same cut also hides the train in other angles, like this one:

The biggest issue from a photography point of view, is that I didnt leave enough foreground between the track and the edge of the layout. In many places the track is within an inch or two of the edge of the layout, especially in the yard and smelter area-which is why I dont post photographs of that area.
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well that's a very impressive first try!

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  1:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to build some generic photo foreground that can abut the existing layout edge for photo shots. MR did this years ago with a small piece of hard shell. Probably use foam as base today. An edge away from the camera held slightly above existing terrain shouldn't show.

Nice work overall.

Bill Uffelman
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  2:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill-thats exactly what I did-in the last picture the lower right foregound is simply a piece of foam plastered and painted with a few pieces of gravel. The saguaro at far left is simply a prop wedged between the layout and the foreground prop. Certainly less distracting than the bench!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-legacy&localeid=en_US&h=1

will take you to photos of my On3 SP #1 that I took back in August. Regrettably it is sitting in the box on the shelf at our Delaware beach house. It is smaller than my O scale 70 tonner -- it is basically a 50 ton loco. The loco can be converted to On30 or SG by substituting wheel sets or shifting wheels on the axles as done to the prototype when it was converted to SG for service in Mexico where it still resides.

Bill Uffelman
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason the link is stalling out -- try this one:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/slideshowFinishPage.jsp?token=264309574606:1549353478

Bill Uffelman
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither link is working now -- I LOVE computers!

Bill Uffelman
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite the problems you mention, your pictures are amazingly good.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  10:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederick: I dont think the pictures are bad, there is just always something that can be improved next time. I also enjoy the problem solving aspect of trying to improve on earlier work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000