Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that stamp mill from a kit, or scratch?

Visit www.raydunakin.com to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  10:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its scratchbuilt, still hammering out the details.
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  01:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stamping about while planning, no doubt...

I have some detail pics of a 5-stamp mill that operated at the Congress and Vulture gold mines, let me know if they will help. Besides making the complex camshaft to lift the stamps, the other big challenge in making the thing work is to get the stamps to operate smoothly. Fantasonics sells a great soundtrack of a steam powered stamp mill that would be the perfect addition to complete the illusion of a real mill at work.

I would love to build an operating mill, that is on the list of stuff to do once the basic layout is done. Keep us posted on progress, Duane.
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vern,Id love to see a few pics of Vulture and Congress, never did much exploring in the Western part of AZ. I think an operational stamp mill is do-able in O scale, but I would not want to try it smaller than O scale because the stamps wont have the mass to return by gravity. For those of us like Ray, who model in larger scale, I think it easier than you'd think.
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  9:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Whats wrong with this pic?

Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5911 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  9:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm................empty glass ??

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  9:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed! that is a problem, but not the issue Im having with the stamp mill...
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  9:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm...good looking structure frame. Could it be a lack of horsepower, from a non-horsey source? The flywheel pulling that sucker would be pretty big, assume it will go to the right (on the side occupied by the Elmers bottle).
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  10:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Two problems!
Go to Top of Page

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  11:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's On30, On2, On3, O and d'Oh. I model in On30 and d'Oh...

Go to Top of Page

reklein
Engine Wiper

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  12:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm... Forgot to sand the barcode off the rafter?? BILL
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  04:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need some more information on prototype mills. I'm on my dumb phone with it's 1.25" screen but it looks like you don't have enough room for the needed machinery and bins. do a google books for the processing of gold and silver ores. There's a nice word for it that begins with a "M" that i can't remember right now--- something like metalogy, that will produce several fine publications.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly! The problem is that the mill was planned for another location-when plans changed I had to reduce the size of it to make it fit into the new location, but didnt fully consider the battery. The 5-stamp battery is actually taller than the structure, and, as Verne pointed out, doesn't leave room for the bullwheel, much less the feeder and other apparati. Ill parbably build a smaller, non operational battery for cosmetic purposes and use the operational mill elsewhere.

Bob-I think the book you were referring to is Robert Richards' four volume book called Ore Dressing (metallurgy).
http://books.google.com/books?id=XtwJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA1173&dq=richards+metallurgy+stamp+mills&hl=en&ei=WJmZTuiZEYreiAK_wOCnDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=richards%20metallurgy%20stamp%20mills&f=false
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
4444 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book from Western Scale Models on stamp mills is what you need, I think: http://www.westernscalemodels.com/Books/Books.htm It's very, very good! I also have the Sierra Machine Shop book, and strongly recommend it, too.

dave
Go to Top of Page

elminero67
Engine Wiper

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  11:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave-I think I need to research stamp mills and mining less, as it has been somewhat of an obsession for too many years...so Im taking a break for a couple of days from the mill hoping to come up with a solution that will work.
I did get the chance to roll the layout outdoors before the Oregon rain sets in, and enjoyed running a few trains and photographing the Torres y Prietas with the long fall shadows:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000