Raritan River Railroad Forum
 Tunnel Under Old Bridge Turnpike
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

nikcap
Section Hand

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  7:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit nikcap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have postcard history of East Brunswick book that show a tunnel under OBT. I remember 10-15 years ago that this tunnel collapsed and OBT was closed for several months.
Question 1: Does anyone else remember this, and do you know the details?
Question 2: Besides the map in RUTR, does anyone have a map or know where the track grade went from Harts ln to South River.

If I'm not mistaken, the tracks crossed Route 18 just north of Edgeboro road and then wandered down to the river down toward Vets Park. So. I'm not really sure how the tracks when under OBT.

longwalk
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  12:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! I always wondered why some of the buildings in this area were below the road level of OBT & Tices Lane. The mining operation explains it. I'll have to ask my father if he recalls this operation, or the tunnel/tracks for the mining operation's narrow gauge line.

Go to Top of Page

nikcap
Section Hand

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  8:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit nikcap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Joe, although I'm not exactly sure where the Post Office if now-a-days, (I thought it was on the other side of Main Street) I notice that the end of William street Ts with a road called Brick Plant Rd. (Go figure, huh)
I was guessing that the tunnel was on the north side of the fleamarket, atleast based on the topo map, but are you implying that it's more on the east side of the fleamarket? (Nearer to Tices lane than Rt18/Edgeboro rds)

Go to Top of Page

Holod
New Hire

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  10:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, if you were leaving South River on Prospect st., you would make a right turn onto the OBT. On the right was the Wagner-Hetman Rambler dealership. Behind what was the Mid State Bowl, Tices(?)lane was a sand and gravel operation that ran for a long, long time. I believe it was part of the sand and gravel operation on Edgeboro. I think it was Herberts or Hermans, something like that. I do not recall rail access to that facility. There were tracks that crossed near the junction of the OBT and Rte. 18. Never knew where they went. I also recall some tracks at the end of Williams st. Seems to me there were some factories there that had rail access.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Tom_E_Reynolds
Engine Wiper

USA
462 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old thread, but maybe somebody will appreciate this updated info. I just found this in my research.

The tunnel under Old Bridge Turnpike that collapsed was built in 1913 by the American Clay Products Co. (known as AMCLAY in Rails Up The Raritan). This tunnel was used by the narrow gauge trains to run from the clay pits to the processing plant on the eastern side. The American Clay Products Company took over the operations of the Great Eastern Clay Company in about 1911 in which Robert Lyles managed for many years. In fact, there was a Lyles Station (not documented in RUTR) on the Serviss Branch at this location where the Narrow Gauge line crossed the RRRR.

Here is a newspaper clipping from the Daily Home News dated February 18, 1913:

Edited by - Tom_E_Reynolds on 07/12/2016 7:26:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000