Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 73

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9126 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  2:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Andy.
Too bad about the tender. Grandt line makes some tender journals if you can get them. I have a couple of sets sitting here if you get desperate.

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks guys.
larry, i'll see what this 3d printed chassis is like, if thats no good i'll use a bachmann combine truck, thanks though!

so here are the hoppers ive been working on think i need to re do the insides, i think it looks too rusty/beat up i cant imagen the cars would have been filled up righ to the rim enough times to chip all the paint off.

and the pair

i also tried the gouache for streaking on one side. not sure if i like it or not.
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bumping again just to show what ive been upto.

the porter Locomotive im working on now will hopefuly look like a more modern engine. id like to add a fair amount of outside plumbing, with an air pump and air tanks and a steam gen. im keeping the cab the same, but i may fill in the opening at the back and add a door. it would be nice to change the sand dome to a more modern looking one, however being cast metal and part of the tank, i cant be bothered, my story, the loco was modified after a prang. the end :D

going back to the air pump. im trying to find a place to put it. the best ive come up with is on the front of the cab. anyone got any ideas/photos? it dosnt quite fit at the front next to the firebox.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Gulf
Engine Wiper

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  2:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porter murderer;didn't we see airpumps at the Show yesterday;they were the only detail parts we didn't buy.(Yes they were O scale.)
That Fuel truck had a small bonus. Another truck under the first
Nick
Go to Top of Page

anubis51
Fireman

Australia
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Andy,

I recently modified one of my Porters to a "Gypsy" style, courtesy of a famous conversion kit, the brand of which escapes me at the moment, and I mounted my air compressor against the cab front wall.

The RH side.

The air tank and feeder pipe.

The exhaust air pipe over the cab roof.

Hope this helps....

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nick, i know i cant leave them alone. and yes, but i have a small pile of air pumps already. thats why i only brought one lamp, i already have loads of loco parts :D

great job john, just what i had in mind! only on the firemans side (so i can also hide the wires for the DCC chip) :D a great help indeed

so i taked the front beam inplace with some bluetak so i could see what couplings would work. seems #158s are great. also brought the tender down to give an idea of the over all shape

other then that ive been drilling and peging detail parts ready from primeing and painting. GAH its a long job.

Edited by - andykins on 03/11/2012 5:43:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  08:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so. after all that fuss and bother with the tender kits own chassis i ordered one from ebay. a 3d printed one.

interesting to see something 3d printed in person, after seeing it on the forum a number of times. turns out the part came from teebeemodels, who has quite a range of stuff on shapeways (didnt know that at the time) and indeed i remember someone building an Hon30 boxcab from one of his print outs.
the texture is. well, yeah. works for O scale, and would work fine for larger scales, but i couldnt imagen it in anything small. quite felixble. rather annoyingly was pack in bubble wrap, and packed in a jiffy bag, so its a little tweeked and will take some fine bending to set it right, also came from thailand. strange since it was listed as france, so i can only asume that is where shapeways are bassed?

anyway onto the tender. with the kits wheels sits almost dead on with the porters footplate.(as shown in the photo) but looked strange with the small wheels, so swoped out for some HO 33" wheels and bingo, sits just under the hight of a bachmann on30 combine truck. spot on.
heres what it looks like.

other then that, i have decals on oneside of the pitkins loco and othersides of the hoppercars and tank car. so i'll be able to wrap them up pretty soon too.
thanks for stopping by

Edited by - andykins on 03/17/2012 08:54:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10211 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tender conversion mate!!!
keep it going Andy!!!

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9126 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  09:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sooooo with the new chassis. i made another start. i added some end beams from plastic section. and cut down the chassis to fit between them. chassis was glued into place. im not sure of its the texture, or what ever the 3d printed stuff is, but the super glue kinda soaked up. still once glued in, it was very stiff and firm, i was worried it was going to be too flimsy. however, once glued in, i coulnt remove the wheelsets. whoops :P
i added some steps, left overs from bachmann parts i got a while ago, made up a coupler box, added some shims of plastic for the kadee. some tube for the link between the engine and the tender, made the fall plate (im not sure what the term is in america for the plate between tender and loco? but then i keep calling pilots beams :P) and here she is in my state of the art paint booth

as for the loco, fitted a small air pump, did the pipe work, redid the pipe work when it hit the rods, and looked really bad when pushed out of the way. made a new chimey out of some tube and microd, removed the front number plate and replaced it with a grandtline one (i really like how flat they are, kinda suits porters) desided on number 4, since 8 is taken by my davenport.

also, i notice on the porter as i got it from larry, had a red-oxide colour in the panels of the cab, i quite liked that, and i remembered verne's 0-6-0 porter that had a brighter red panel and wanted the same for my little lokie :D not in the photo, i cut out a new cab roof that is slightly longer and fixed.

and finaly. the pitkins.

now has numbers, and a quick spray of matt varnish. once i have the correct coupleings. i shall fit them, stick the roof on, try to remember what figure i picked out for the driver, fit him, windows, junk, jacks and final weathering.
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10211 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the porter Andy, but I have a soft spot for
the deisels....Cant wait to see it finished! Nice, so far.....

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5778 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  08:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Andy,

Just catching up and I see that I've missed a lot. The Porter is looking good. I have one that I need to bash and you have given me some great ideas when I get around to it.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
5519 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Andy!

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4080 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  11:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Bill im the same a bit, more so if it has trucks. or is just really small and odd :D

Ron yup thats whats great about porters, so much fun to bash and so many ideas about too. i got some ideas for my other one from a bash someone did in G scale to an LGB porter :D hopeful i'll be able to do that one too if i have time.

thanks dave!
Go to Top of Page

anubis51
Fireman

Australia
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  4:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

I love the way your 3D tender has turned out, and I also think that your state-of-the-art spray booth is cool.

It's a little bit like mine - but mine is a little more basic!

The Porter and the little diesel are coming on great too!

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 73 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000