Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  5:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit mainetrains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Received my kit today so I thought I would get things started with some pictures of the kit. I don't know how well the pics turned out but you'll get the idea. Everything seems to be up to Walt's high standards!!

Here's the kit box being investigated by Iggy...he thinks he's my number one helper.

Here's Iggy checking out the box of castings and those mysterious pins.

The castings box without Iggy sticking his nose into it...I'm pretty sure he didn't eat any of them.

Here's the instruction manual and roofing sheets, etc.

Finally pictures of the stripwood, castings, etc.

I probably won't start on this until the weekend unless I get a chance to paint some castings before then.

Looking forward to following everyone's build of this kit. I looks like it will be fun.

Dave [:-banghead]

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

Check out the Hard Knox Valley Railroad at -
http://www.mainetrains.webs.com/

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
5675 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  7:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'll be following as I wait for the O scale kits to become available.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  11:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, my kit is sitting here waiting and I'll be joining in in one weeks time. I look forward to following everyones progress during that time and getting some good ideas from you all.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/18/2011 11:43:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2415 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  4:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
You are a very brave man[:-thumbu]. I love my cats but they are not allow in the R.R. room. No no, I've learned the hard way. You're also brave to start first before you can see what others are doing [:-thumbu][:-thumbu].

[:-tiger]Growl

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  7:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

You're also brave to start first before you can see what others are doing [:-thumbu][:-thumbu].

Well Bob, my correctly sized templates arrived today, so I'm guessing others did to.
Now I have everything I need, (except time) and only four days left until I'm "alowed" to start.
My little 'jaunt' to Texas will hit almost at the same time though.

Got nothing to do with being brave Dave.... you just get to come up with all the great ideas and we can all copy you.

Looking forward to someones progress over the weekend.

Karl.A
Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4394 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  7:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened the new plans-enough for one day!

Elliott
Go to Top of Page

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  05:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit mainetrains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about being brave but if we all were to wait for someone else to start the kits would just stay in the box.

As for great ideas, well......

While I wait for the new templates to arrive I've sorted out the stripwood and put the different sizes into their own individual bags.

Also spent some time working on the chimney and foundation. I deviated from the suggested method for painting them in the manual. First I painted both with an aged concrete acrylic paint. Once that dried I brushed on a mixture of chalk powder and Bragdon's weathering powders. I used a medium color gray chalk and a combination of ashy and soot weathering powder.
Then I sprayed both with a light coat of Dullcote.
Came out okay I think. I'm still undecided on whether or not to chalk in the morter lines. Since Walt suggest letting the Dullcote cure for a few days I have time.

As they say, try, try again. I hope these pictures are a little better.

I also primed the castings with a ColorPlace gray coat.

Painting those and possibly staining the stripwood is on tap for the weekend.

By the way, Iggy was able to get up close and personal in the first pictures since I took them on the living room table.[:-kitty]

I'll be looking forward to any feedback you guys have and to seeing who's next to stick their 'toes' in the water.

Edited by - mainetrains on 01/22/2011 2:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well Dave it's really hard to give much feedback on the brickwork due to the pics being blurred, so,

Feedback I would offer is..... you're camera should have a macro setting, this is for taking close up photos and is usually depicted by a flower icon. It enables the camera to focus close up and is usually a one click setting to turn it on or off. Look on the back of the camera for the flower icon, failing that check in the manual for "macro setting".
A white background would also improve the photos by taking out the 'redness' and allowing the camera to get a good white balance, it also makes it easier to colour correct the pics later in software if needed.

Hope these two pieces of feedback help you out.

Karl.A

Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  3:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The white card made it easier to colour correct. I'm guessing your camera is set to either , daylight, flourescent or flash for the white balance setting which is why they are coming out so orange under the incandescant lighting. Try it on auto.

Still out of focus though, but better.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/22/2011 3:02:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mainetrains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update. Began the process of staining the stripwood this morning. I using the method described by Mike Chambers using acrylic paints. I believe there is a link to these tutorials on the Rusty Stumps website. I used the same method (substituting blue paint) in my construction of the DeYoungs Tobacconist's kit and liked the result.

This way takes a little longer...okay a lot longer than the method described by Walt in the Tie Hacker's instruction manual but since I'm comfortable with it that's what I went with.
Maybe I'll get some pictures of the results posted sometime tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
1504 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following along here. [:-thumbu] I found Mike's method great except I use a mason quart jar in lieu of the flimsey zip baggy. Makes for a safe transition from jar and keeps for months.

Philip
Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4394 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave - now that I have done a piece of the puzzle I see how hard it is to shoot these little buggers and get them to look good on the screen. I tried to retreive some info from your pics but there were no tags so I cannot advise you on setting - maybe if I knew what camera you were using I could help.

Anyway, I got my memo from Walt regarding the casting issue - I did not think it was a big deal but could not pass up the chance to ruin the thing and get a new one for free so I did my job on the recalled base - I think it's a keeper (hey, Walt - read don't send me one - thanks anyway) and will now proceed to mess with the chimney. I shot this using the Elijah Roth model I am building and the base fit perfectly. . .hummm

Elliott
Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4394 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the chimney

Elliott
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9329 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  8:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see a start on this group build.
I will be lurking in my spare time.

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

mainetrains
Fireman

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mainetrains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking stonework Eliot!!!!

While waiting for the stripwood to stain I kept busy working on the castings. Hopefully, inspite of my limited photography skills and 10+ year old camera, you will be able to get an idea of what I've done.

Here is some of the stripwood stained and dryed. The rest is done and safely stored in individually labeled bags for the different sizes.

Construction begins this weekend, I hope.

Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17728 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  4:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the thing take shape, Dave.

Frederic Testard