Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Jon I am thinking of having some L&N service. I think I saw somewhere that they used to run in this area. We have a lot of old stations along the coast, most preserved as art galleries or the like along side the main lines. It may have been on a schedule board at one of these stations in one of the towns.I know I will have Santa Fe, they have always held a special spot in my heart for whatever reason I don't know. After doing some research I was suprised to find how rich the railroad history is along the Gulf.I am learning how to work CadRail now while starting to plan my layout. I believe i will use a shelf style layout with an upper and lower shelf. The lower one for my mainlines,yards and my waterfront. The upper for my mining and logging operations.Of course towns and industry throughout. I am starting to get the hang of the software. now to figure out how to put elevation into the thing. I figure I have enough to keep me busy for about twenty years or so I tried to convert my preliminary layout into a form I could post but haven't had much luck with that yet, but I am working on it. My little guy gets a kick out of the computer program, at six he has been helping me place track (with some help of course) and running a computer generated train on it.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds great. The L&N's mainline to New Orleans went right along to coast through Gulfport and many other coastal towns.

http://www.lnrr.org/archive/LNMap1968.jpg

L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  10:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great map. That would make sense. I think it was at the Ocean Springs station that I saw it which would be right along that route.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  10:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a great site for the L&N in Mississippi.
http://www.msrailroads.com/L&N.htm
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  10:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is a little public opinion poll. Coming up with a name for my layout I have reviewed the railroad history of Mississippi and Alabama and pulled the following actual railroad names out of the hat to choose from:
Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad
Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad
Louisville & Nashville Railroad
Mobile & Gulf Railroad
Sylacauga & Wetumpka Railroad
Warrior River Terminal Company Railroad
Mississippi, Gainesville & Tuscaloosa Railroad
Birmingham, Selma & Mobile Railroad

My wife has voted for Warrior River. The GMO or the L&N would be easier to get engine dressings for. I like the sound of the Sylacauga & Wetumpka. The Mobile & Gulf had an interesting little history and a good reputation (though they never actually got to Mobile). Let me know your opinions.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17658 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  03:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like the sound of the Sylacauga & Wetumpka.

Me too.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11068 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While there are names on your list I like more I would go with the L&N for the ease of getting equipment already lettered and decal sets for things that aren't. Otherwise I would go with Warrior River.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 11/16/2011 08:45:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19836 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warrior River gets my vote too.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Catt
Crew Chief

USA
937 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warrior River Terminal Company Railroad

Get's my vote for whatever that is worth.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Several short lines used L&N equipment to run their operations. So you could pretend that is what your short line is doing. L&N may have more N scale stuff than GM&O but it still doesn't have a lot. And there is more modern than steam era. It seems like I remember you wanting to run small steam. Except for passenger trains the L&N used all their Small/old steam engines on the south end. There are one or two Model Power engines like that that have come out and I think both of them were generic prototypes. They are only ok runners. Small N scale engines many times seem to have contact and jerky running problems. But there are ways to over come these problems.

Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh by the way I vote for L&N and a narrow gauge logging road.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  10:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I will make it official, I am going with Warrier River RR.

I can run The Warrior River and multiple other lines such as the L&N, GM&O, Gulf & Mobile, etc. plus I can run various passenger service, the Alton Limited, the Crescent Limited and the Gulf Coast Rebel ( I think that's correct).
Plus I can have a couple of narrow gauge logging and mining lines. My consist is all steam varying from Switchers to Northerns with the exception of one early diesel.All I have to do now is build it
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11068 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"All I have to do now is build it "

Well hurry up, we want pictures of finished scenery by this time next week!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  1:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could you use a Rivarossi heavy weight Southern Cresent set?
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I could have gotten a set a year or so ago but couldn't afford it.[:-banghead] Do you have a set you'd be willing to part with? Can't afford alot but maybe we can work out a barter. Send me a message.
A week!![:-bigeyes]!! Which year are you refering to!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000