Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  1:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a Happy Easter you you as well Rhett!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  6:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A belated happy Easter, Rhett. About the coarse gravel, some craft stores sell very thinly ground sand that would certainly work for N scale. And if you want the look of dirt or earth soil, you can scrape some sienna colored pastels over your well dried sand and rub it with your finger (some alcohol can also be used to help to glue it).

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  12:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tip. I got some fine grey ballast I can use if I want to depict limestone or I have some bare spots in my backyard as Mike suggested where I can scrape up a little red clay. My wife has some fine sand she was using recently for a project she was working on. It's just hard to go back to something after you thought you were done, maybe thats just me. I like to move on to the next project. Right now I've got Paul's Repair to finish up and I started working on one of my 13 ton Randgust Climaxes. I've got the Kato chassis modified and almost done with the truck modifications. This is my first Engine kit and so far everything is going together well. The instructions are excellent. I was a bit nervous at first tearing apart the powered chassis but I'm getting a lot more confident as I make progress. Will try to take some pics in the next few days and post them, I got a little tripod which should help out.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  6:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to see your Paul's Repair, since it looked attractive on the pictures page 6.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize in advance for the quality of these photos.

The tube is for mounting the led lights

Here is the modified Kato Chassis for the 13 Ton
Climax kit. It is trimmed down, the couplings are removed, the trucks are filed down.

Just about ready to start adding the body parts.
Will get some more pics after some more progress.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An easy improvement for your photos : shoot them from a further distance, without zooming, and crop the picture to remove all that is unnecessary. With most cameras this will give you instant improvement.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  06:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, I was trying out my tripod on the workbench and it was too close. I did some work on the Climax fitting the tank to go over the motor and the floor boards to fit over the drive truck and clear the drive shaft. Got it together and am not getting contact somewhere. The tank of the Climax is carved out to fit the electric motor and I may need to trim some more, probably knocking a contact out of place.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  11:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the Climax chassis running but need to get the contacts adjusted a bit better. Started painting the body parts before assembling. Using barn wood grey as my base. Very impressed with the detail of the resin parts. The wood grain really shows up when painted. Also started a 24' flat bed car from RSLaser. Picked up some Locos in need of TLC on Ebay. Got two running fairly well, a 2-6-4 Arnold Rapido and a 0-6-0 Graham Farrish. The interesting one is a 0-4-0 Bachmann that has defenitely been around. It must have been stored in a damp place, the motor has rust built up on it. I did get it moving and actually running forward fairly well. Does any one know where to get replacements motors and other parts?[:-banghead]
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get parts for the Bachmann from them, good luck with the euro locos. Maybe one of our friends from across the pond can help on them.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  10:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike , I made progress on bending the small brass tubing. I used a small tubing bender (the smallest I could find was for 1/8 dia) and used beading wire which just fit in the tubing. Shoved the wire up into the tubing, bent it with no crimping, then proceeded to yank the wire out. The wire proved to be flexible enough to be able to pull it through the bend without affecting the brass tubing (though it still takes a little effort). Next I will see if I can feed some fiber optics through the bend. I might be able to use the fiber optics to support the tube while bending if they are strong enough, but not sure if it will damage the fibers.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would stick with the bending wire Rhett.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  10:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work is taking up all my time right now, the little time left is for family and trying to keep the grass cut. Going to be that way for awhile but should ease up in about two months. Will post some progress when I can. Hope ya'll are doing well.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't talk right now Rhett, I have to go mow the grass.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  11:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Several weeks ago we decided to start looking at homes in nearby Mobile, Al. We found a house and are selling our home in Hurley. It's been a frantic month with a vacation planned earlier stuck in the middle. It should work out wonderfully for our family and two great things about the new home: first it's a wooded shaded lot with NO grass :-) and second I can have a train room :-) Actually have a spare room in the basement that I have already laid claim to. I can start my layoout after we get settled in. I guess I'll have to change the name from Hurley Station. Hope y'all are doing well. Be back soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000