Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  07:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to watching your Climax builds, maybe it'll inspire me to get mine built. If you're feeling really adventurous, the Kato 11-105/6/7 chassis can be regauged to 6.5mm without too much trouble. The hardest part was figuring out how to reattach the two main parts of the driving truck once the wheels have been narrowed because to clear the wheels you have to remove the clips on both sides. I was I while ago that I tried it, I can post some pictures if you'd like...

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  08:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be interesting. If you can, post them under the Nn3 thread so others may find it easier. I believe my first attempt though will be pretty close to the instructions. This will be my first attempt at a locomotive since I was about 12 when I destroyed an old HO diesel kit my dad had.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  08:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the Randgust 18-ton Climax kit with the metal boiler casting in addition to the resin cast boiler.

This is the Kato 11-105 powered chassis.

Some progress made here on Benny's. I put the turf on the base, have the building footprint covered till done. I don't have a spray bottle of scenic cement for the top coat, has anyone tried hairspray. I know artists will use it for a fixative. Benny's truck is a painted resin model and the picnic table painted laserboard.

Here are some shots of Benny's with the roof on and the interior light on, hope it shows, looks great with the lights out.

Also made my first tree which I am embarassed to show right now, will have to try and clean it up abit before I show it if at all
Looking forward to starting the Climax. Will pick a structure model also, maybe a Branchline or AMB model.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  08:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the duplicate photo. Had saved them and cropped around the building and the details but apparently it didn't save the cropped version.
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bike shop looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing it installed on the base with the interior lights on, I think that'll look really sharp. Nice little picnic table too, did you scratchbuild that?

Looking forward to the Climax build as well. I'll dig out my 'proof of concept' Nn3 Kato drive and try and remember what I did, and take some pictures...

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bike shop is looking good!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  06:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You. The picnic table is a kit from RSLASER and the pickup truck is from Richard Plantz Hobbies. I have Benny's on the base now, a few details on the doors I forgot and around the structure and it will be complete. Cleaned up the tree some but now have to add some more foliage in spots. It looks better than I thought at first, it could be better though. Probably need to read or watch some how-to's :-)
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  07:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benny's is complete
Here are some pics.

I tried to take a few shots with the lights out and just the interior light on but I need some more practice with the camera. All I got were black pictures with white blobs in them.
I rummaged through my pile of models and picked Paul's Repair from RSLaser. Here is a pic of the starting kit.

I stained the walls, roof, details and painted the base this morning. While that was being dried and pressed I looked through the Climax locomotive kits. I will start either the Gundafson 13 or 18 ton, haven't decided yet. I will also start one of the Creative Laser Design kits, also undecided yet, but they look like nicely done kits. First have to take care of those pesky taxes.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[:-star][:-star][:-star][:-star]
Some smaller gravel in front of Benny's door might be nice.
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 03/27/2011 7:13:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it is too big for gravel, how about pine bark mulch? I'll need to get something for gravel, that was some iron ore ballast I had from years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  08:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always take a hammer to some ballast to make it smaller. Or just sift some dirt from your yard and use that.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to spend a little time this morning at my workbench before the kids got up. Trimmed the piece out for Paul's Repair and touched up the staining and backs on a few pieces. I used some paint on the laser board trim since the stain didn't take too well on it and I wanted the trim to be a bit darker. Dug through my box of detail parts to find some loading jibs I have. Found them but are too big for this structure, so I think I will make one using some some scrap wood and some one of the pulleys and cleats I got for the ship models. I will again try to make a fiber optic light for the front of the building. I'll try the sand or wire to bend the brass tubing this time.
I read through the instructions again for the Climax build getting ready to start in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to building these loco kits. Want to learn enough from the kits to be able to scratch build a couple of loco's myself. Would like to build a Forney and/or a Mason-Bogie and possibly a Heisler. Got to have dreams :-) Am performing a dissecting operation on a little robotic bug my kids got for Christmas that got stepped on. I can see a tiny pager motor and some gears and shafts I can salvage. Also ordered a motorized Tomy slot car chassis thinking that may come in useful. Was actually out web-surfing looking for the old Aurora chassis' that had the little pancake motors, loved them when I was a kid! Even though they're HO I'm thinking with a little modification and trimming I could be on to something. We used to rebuild, modify and hotrod those little motors (of course it would have to be geared down a bit for a train). Exactly where is that fine line between a hobby and an obsession?
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Exactly where is that fine line between a hobby and an obsession?"

If you are a member (and you are) of this forum you have already crossed that line!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  07:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Easter everybody! Almost complete with Pauls repair. Did this one pretty straight forward with some added building details. Added some door details, glazed the windows, a dust collector and a scratchbuilt hoist. Need to add the lights and roof and I will be complete for now. Will post some photos soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000