Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  06:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic. Some times it can try the patience a bit. The wrench in Benny's hand was one such item. It's a small etched wrench but too small to manipulate with my fingers so had to work with tweezers. It took a good half hour to get it placed in his hand and its not really the way I wanted the CA just happened to finally grab in that position. Forming the drain trap on the sink was fun, that's just a piece of bent wire. Sometimes I'll try several different methods or ideas before settling on what I want. I know in Nscale the details probably don't really matter as much, but I know it's there and am glad to see other Nscalers pushing the envelope (which years ago was pretty bleak). How can we model Nscale nail holes? Then we know we're playing with the big boys.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11051 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  09:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett that is some awesome modeling! [:-thumbu] [:-thumbu] [:-thumbu]

However in regards to your "How can we model Nscale nail holes?" please dont go there. Why?
1-Even in O scale they are out of scale
2-They aren't supposed to be nail holes but nail HEADS so in ANY scale they look wrong
3-In real life only about 1/2 of 1% of buildings can you see the nail heads and then only if the building is unpainted or has the paint peeling off in the EXACT spot where the nail head is and then only if the wood and the nailhead haven't aged together (which they usually have) and then you usually have to be standing within 6 feet of the building.
4-How do you tell if a photo is a model or the real thing? Easy look for the following:

1-Handlaid track with the grossly oversized spike every 6 ties or so
2-The trip pin on the couplers
3-No power lines on the power poles
4-Nailholes
O.K. rant over , if you really want nailholes in N scale it's no big deal. Bar Mills and others make them with the holes already there which is why I don't buy their products.

Again great modeling Rhett!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  12:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! What a concept, modeling power lines! Maybe use them with little insulators to run lighting power to the buildings! Just joking, about the nail holes also. Actually I have always been annoyed by powerpoles on layouts without lines, and in real life I always thought they were a fairly ugly part of the scenery. My thought was just forget about them, now street lights look good. Another thing that is a reality in rural areas that you don't see modeled are water pumps and pump houses. Since most rural areas that I know of don't have municpal water the property owner is responsible for their own well which sits behind the house or business usually.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11051 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Another thing that is a reality in rural areas that you don't see modeled are water pumps and pump houses. Since most rural areas that I know of don't have municpal water the property owner is responsible for their own well which sits behind the house or business usually."

Very true and don't forget the water caches/reservoirs for those of us that live in a hilly area. They range in size from a couple of hundred gallons to a couple of thousand gallons, and are usually concrete up until the 80's when fiberglass ones first appeared on the scene. Alot are fed from a springhead which is one more thing that could be modeled.

As far as the power poles go if you leave them off not many will notice, but if you put them on the layout with no lines EVERYONE will notice!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benny's is on hold waiting for some styrene tubing to be delivered for use with the LED. Did start a tree today and did some work on the fishing boat , now known as the "JENNY" which shall belong to the BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP CO. I am posting some pics but did a good deal more work afterwards but didn't take more pics yet. The way the details are coming together on the masts is beautiful. I recommend this model highly though a great deal of patience is necessary.

Will post some more soon.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  11:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[:-star][:-star][:-star][:-star][:-star]
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11051 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful ship Rhett! [:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  9:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be finishing up the boat maybe this weekend and will post photos. Finished up the rigging with a few glitches that had to be fixed or worked out. Think I found material to make fishing nets from (by accident browsing around in our local hardware store). Have the crew just waiting to get onboard. Then onto finishing Benny's. I happened upon a vendor in my web searchs 'Republic Locomotive Works'. They have structures of interest and locomotive kits including Shay's and a Climax. I am thinking about trying the Climax. Has anyone had any experience with them? How are their kits? Their Quality?
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1520 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  10:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jenny is looking good, as is the bike shop. Looking forward to more progress.

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17636 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  2:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boat looks nice, Rhett. You might try to shoot it from a little further and crop the picture to improve the depth of field.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For many years Republic Locomotive Works was one of the very very few making stuff for Nn3 (N scale three ft narrow gage). I haven't heard anything bad about about them and after seeing your work on the fishing vessel you should have no problem. Possibly supply may be a problem with them as in discontinued.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  9:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jon. Apparently they're still alive and well. I finished the JENNY today and am posting pics here of the finished model. I took Frederic's suggestion on my photography and pulled back abit and cropped them afterwards. Let me know if they are better.

Now to finish Benny's. Have not been able to decide yet what I want to start next.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  9:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pictures are better.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11051 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  9:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1520 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  11:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great finish on the boat! I still have my Sylvan Tug kit that I'm glad I didn't get rid of, yours is making me want to build it... Fine work

Cody
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000