Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  3:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad dumb phone, bad, bad, bad dumb phone!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree - bad phone. here it is:

Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  6:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good idea. I'd make room for at least double track and preferably more if possible in the 'hidden' area. That way you can use it as a staging/fiddle yard as well.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  8:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a nice space and I agree with using the track thru the workbench area as a staging area as well.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  10:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it too, better than the first arrangement (actually that was after about ten were discarded).This will be simpler to build and can be done in stages, with the added bonus of not having to tear out that one wall. I can work on the smaller layou getting my feet wet and advance to the main layout later. Thanks for the sage advice guys.
John I think the Warrior River will handle iron ore, coal, timber, sugar and miscellaneous commodities. It was about 18 miles long and served the Port of Birmingham (Birmingport) on the Little Warrior River. A river front area would make a good termination. Here is a picture of a train crossing the Little Warrior River, it may be a painting;

and here is a picture of a coal loading area at Birmingport:

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found something interesting, the Birmingham Southern RR serving the Port of Birmingham actually has a loop. I saw a write up on it mentioning this was unusual for a prototype. I went to some satellite photos and zoomed in on the river and followed the tracks through the barge loading facilities and sur enough there is a turn-around loop there right off the river bank around the facility. it looks like a single track running into the area.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably a loop for unloading unit trains. I'll look at it later. I'm going out today.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  7:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The internet is a wonderful thing. I followed the river down to Tuscaloosa and there are all sorts of wonderful things there. The loop is useful.

Why don't you sketch something up with the industies you like and we'll go from there.
Go to Top of Page

mrichlng
New Hire

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, first post and this is truely an awesome forum... more stuff here than any book could ever cover... AND it's current. Nice to see people are willing to share new ideas and techniques. Fantastic. Oh and Hurleystation, I've spent the last few winters down in Fort Morgan golfing with my buddies and BUT go figure... this year we're off to Orlando instead so I'll miss the Fairhope show. If I had only known...

So.. Now retired its time to turn back to one of many hobbies MR. The goal here this time is coffee table layouts. I am going to build a table where I can remove and replace various layouts at a whim... Winter mountains for Christmas, Margaritaville harbour for spring, cityscape/industrial for summers, and logging/mining for the fall... and the CRAZY part of this idea is to make these layouts not only stand alone but also modular so they can be joined together.

N scale is probably the most comonsense way to go, Z being more expensive and restrictive in available rolling stock.

I haven't built the table yet, since I want to provide some wiggle room with the design, but I expect something in the range of 24x36" or 40".

Question, lots of questions:
what software/who wants to design for me... LOL.... any recommendations on track layouts that would work for this?

I like all era's of trains, so I know that when I hook up the modules together there's a chance the rolling stock won't look right as it passes thru a layout it wasn't designed for but then again I don't care. :)

Hi everyone.
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  12:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike and wecome to the forum! You might want to post these questions in the Layout design forum for more responses, you could also start a thread for this in the Small scale forum as well.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy! Hello Mike, welcome! Working on the layout plan. Will update that when it's abit further along.
Maybe y'all can give me some advice. I am working on a 36ft Roundhouse reefer kit and am trying to paint it. It has a plastic body. I've washed it well and tried to paint it with Floquil Reefer Yellow. It came out terrible [:-ashamed] I am cleaning the paint off and will try again. The paint is not adhereing well to the plastic and running into the crevises When I try to put on a second coat the first coat dissolves and smears leving a hiddeous mess. I am using a small soft brush, don't have an airbrush (though after reading the editorial in this months Model Railroader I may try it).The paint is solvent based, afraid acrylic might be to heavy and hide the details (if I thin it I think the same coverage problem will occur). Any suggestions?

Edited by - HurleyStation on 03/06/2012 09:46:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett I would spray it with a light gray primer first. Yellow has always been a pain in the butt for me. It takes many very thin coats and usually at least 4-5 hours (if the temp and humidity are wrong up to 24 hours) to properly dry between coats. Rather then brush paint it I would go to the closest place that sells spray paint and find the closest match I can and go with that. If the color isn't all that close but it's the only car like it on the RR it's close enough for me. On the other hand if you have to have that exact color then I guess you are stuck with brush painting it.

Thinning the paint may make the problem worse.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/06/2012 3:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  10:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-boggled]Thanks Mike, should have thought of primer. Glad I'm not the only one though that's had this problem.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  10:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Fairhope Train Show today with the family. Had a great time! They had an outdoor garden set up, O, HO, N, and Z layouts, a good turnout of vendors.The kids loved it. There were several clubs represented. Very well done. The Fairhope Arts and Crafts Festival that took over downtown Fairhope looked to be a huge sucess.
The first reefer that I started not using a primer came out nominally well, started a second with the primer and it looks great.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  06:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you were able to save the first one Rhett.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000