Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  11:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chattanooga is a great railroad town and very good to feature in a model. It even has it's own song. The Union Terminal station with it's stub on wye is perfect of modelling, as are the tracks beside the river.

However, HurleyStation does not know it, and he does know Mobile, and Mobile has the Alabama State Docks whereas Chattanooga has very little port/wharf.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/06/2012 09:06:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do some research on Chatanooga, look for old photos also for modeling and scenery research. Thanks for bringing it up, good tip. John , I like it, that is what I had in mind for the most part. I will try to dimension out the room and post it tonight or tommorrow. There is no rush, it will be some time before the layout will be started. Mike not sure if I answered this before but the last modeling I did was back in August before the move. I have a structure, a locomotive and a flat car that I know of started and still packed up. It is making me nuts not having a place to work right now. With three kids 6, 9 & 11 and a house that needs some tlc my time is limited. Before actually starting the layout I need to tear out the carpeting in the room and lay the tile. Then my priority will be building myself a new workbench. I figure at least a good ten years and probably more. I would like to have something started within a year Maybe my kids might catch the bug.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett, I hear you. Research is almost as much fun as modelling for me.

From your comments it would also help id the plan was designed to be built in phases so you can get something going in the first couple of years
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the room and proposed shelving and workbench. The workbench and shelving is not set in stone.

Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried to get some help from the Layout Design Special Interest Group yahoo group, but nobody has answered back yet.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the heavy black lines the walls and inside the yellowish lines the aisle?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  07:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon. Yes Mike, the outer dark lines are the walls, the yellowish brown are just the idea I have for the shelving. The portion that comes into the center of the room like a peninsula I was planning on putting a wall behind so it would be able to have a backdrop. The ceiling is about 8 ft with some drain piping running over. I played around with several differentms to take best advantage arrangements but the way the wall is stepped caused problems. That is why I started looking at a shelf type layout because it seems to take best advantage of the space.Thanks for looking.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  08:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the dimensions. Now I can burn up some pencils.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a thought, right now the small end of the room is a closet with a nonstructural bulkhead that I plan on taking out to enlarge the room. My thought is might use the small area back there for my workbench and storage area then make a seperate smaller shelf layout along the right side of the room. It could house the Warrior River Terminal Co. It would be a smaller layout to start with and could probably be built with a modular design. Whatcha think about that??
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  09:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's a very good idea. I'd try and make design choices that would allow it to be incorporated into the larger layout.

Would thus be a switching layout or would you still want continuous run? (I'm assuming the latter)
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because of the width I think a switching layout would be best. Here is another thought. Have an incline built in so at the far end it would be sufficiently above table height. Leave the wall where it is and just cut a portal so that a train can run around the perimeter of my work area and out a portal on the other side to connect with the future mainline. In the workarea it could run through on a small 3-4 inch shelf. This would not conflict with my work area and I could have a powered track for testing engines in work. This would allow the Warrior River to exist near Birmingham and tie into the G,M&O from Mobile. Sounds like a plan to me.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's getting a little complicated and there are too many opportunities for misunderstanding. Could you do some sort of sketch/drawing to show what you mean.

On page 112 of the October 1990 Model Railroader is an HO port plan Free Haven Terminal It would be easy to 'straighten out', turn back the clock, and convert to N scale.

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 02/07/2012 11:07:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, sometimes I forget that everyone else can't see what I'm picturing in my mind. I'll try to get it sketched up.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolmaster
Fireman

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  12:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sort of layout do you envisage for the Warrior River? What are the major industies and features?
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  2:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure will have to give it some thought.
Have a sketch done am going to try and post it, if this doesn't work I'll get it posted later. Trying to do this from a smart phone.
Well apparently that doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000