Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Tyson Rayles

USA
11066 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a lot of track. I know, as the new guy you get to keep it clean!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/26/2012 08:09:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11302 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  10:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike, that's a lot of track. How long have they been working on the layout?

George
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  10:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout belongs to the MS Gulf Coast Model Railroaders Club. The Group I joined is SWARM (South West Alabama Railroad Modelers). We were just having a meeting at their location as guests. Didn't have to clean track Yes it is a lot of track. I remember back in 2004 or 2005 they had a big flat layout. I guess after Katrina they tore down the old layou and started this one. I like the various elevations they've built in. If they get the scenery finished some day it will be real impressive.
Here are the pictures of some of the local structures I want to scratch build. A couple of these prove that you can't over do weathering
This is a house located on a wedge shaped lot, I call it "the old house in the wedge":

This one I call "the old shanty house":

This is "Robinson's Friendly Funeral Home", it got a face lift last year with vinyl siding and new windows, prior to that it had wooden frame windows and clapboard siding with an occasional board hanging a bit loose. The older version is what I want to model:

This last one is a restaurant on the river bank not far from the Gulf. It is called "the Widow's Walk" I want to use it as the basis for an older structure on a waterfront.

Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  10:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have some good ambitions there.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11066 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  07:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some very modelworthy structures.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Catt
Crew Chief

USA
937 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  09:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the funeral home and the restaurant.I think both could be used for other busineses.The Widow's Walk would look good on a foundation and setting on a curve on my layout.

Do you by chance have more pictures of the two places?
Go to Top of Page

Pacbelt
Fireman

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  5:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are very model-worthy! Definitely an ample sized layout with lots of operation possibilities! :-)

Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11302 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  8:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a nice selection of structures from rundown to well maintained.

George

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  9:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be able to go get some more shots next Saturday Catt.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  06:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try to get some pics around the buildings.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  07:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put this in the events and here. All are invited to the Fairhope Model Train Show on March 17th & 18th in Fairhope, Alabama.

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  08:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my layout plan for the mainline shelf of Warrior River. It's not 100% done and I have to work in my elevations but this is my preliminary. The area on the right without track will be my workbench. The yard area will have a wall backing so it can have a backdrop. all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11066 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  1:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett everybody likes different things so my comments are from what I'm looking for in a layout and may be completely different from what you want so my concerns may have nothing to do with yours of course. I'm a less is more kinda guy. My whole layout, including when the staging yards get built only has 10 turnouts. Yet a operating session would host 7 trains from 3 different RR's plus yard duty. I spent a lot of time on the track plan because I'm a scenery guy and I think if the scenery looks right then the whole layout makes more sense as the brain and the eye both agree with what is going on. My concern with your plan is that it doesn't keave enough room for the scenery to be convincing. Also have you given any thought as to how you would operate that plan. There doesn't seem to be a connection to the outside world and when the train leaves the yard it ends up right where it started. Even if you have no intention of ever operating the layout if it's build to operate it tends to make more sense to both the eye and the brain and therefore it tends look better as a rule. Something else to consider is that (appox.) 75 switches and that many feet of track could exceed $1500, more if the switches are remote and of course that is a lot of continous maintentance. You could be spending more time cleaning track and fixing switches then you do running trains. On the other hand if you do just want to turn a couple of trains on and let em' go and scenery isn't all that important then you are probably good to go. Like I said I'm looking at it thru my wants and needs without knowing yours so please don't take offense if you are going in a completely different direction. Remember you have to please you not me!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  2:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the suggestions Mike. I asked for comments, no offense taken This will be my first and possibly the only layout. I have a lot to learn in this process. Let me give a little explanation of what I am trying for. I am not as interested in operations as the modeling and just having fun running some trains around my models. I like scenery but don't want big areas of wilderness, more of a growing rural area with a lot of industry. The oval at the end of the workbench is meant to be a helix to the upper shelf(not yet started but basically the same shape as the lower shelf). The upper shelf will be more scenic for logging and mining. I may cut back on the turnouts some. i have been debating with myself on using remote or manual. I have a lot of switches but they're a mixed batch. I may make them all manual. Am also not planning on DCC. It is all preliminary at this point and open for changes.
Thank You for looking
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to be brutally honest with you. I think you have a pointless jumble of tracks that you will not be happy with in the long run. I would suggest reading John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation". I have read parts of it several times and still don't get all of it, but it has helped me.
There are several good layout designers here on RR-Line maybe some of them will help.
Here is good link about yard design:

http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html

I don't get the point of the layout. What are you trying to do? Is the part on the left with the crossings a trolley area? Why is there a crossing right in front of the helix? It seems like you have a double track mainline and then separate it just below the river? Why? How much operation have you done?
If you try some operating you might find that you like it more than you do now. It might be a good idea to go to a few operating sessions to try and find out what you like. I can direct you to a yahoo group where you can ask for invites to operating sessions. I have had some good times and met some nice people going to operating sessions.

L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 02/03/2012 12:53:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000