Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  07:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on my layout plan and besides arguing with myself as to where to place my yard, waterfront, mountains, etc. an issue has come up. Maybe some with more experience than I can answer this question. I had decided to go with a dual shelf style layout to increase my square footage available. I was planning a mainline basically running the perimeter on which I could run larger freight and passenger service. I have a Spectrum 4-8-4 J Class and one on the way that I want to use for my passenger service. Here is the issue, the shelves will basically be 30" deep leaving me about 28" for a turn around. This would be a 14" radius (I may be able to bump this out to 15" radius). I just read a note someone had posted on a J Class on ebay saying it should have a 19" radius to turn. Is this true, or can it negotiate a tighter turn? If it can't make the curve I may need to go back to planning a table style layout.[:-weepn]
I defer to your collective wisdom and experience.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11068 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming we are talking N scale you should be O.K. for function but the overhang may not look to good. 19" would probably be overkill (that would be about 38" in HO). 15"-16" would be ideal Rhett but what I would do is tack down some flextrack in a 14" radius set the loco and tender with an 85' pass. car behind it and run it thru the curve and see how it looks. I think the 14" radius would affect the looks of the pass. car more than the loco. If you like what you see go with the 14", if not......................

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  6:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure a Spectrum J class will run on a 14" radius. FYI the J class is a Norfolk and Western engine, and as far as I know they never ran in Mississippi. I guess you are going for a more freelance type layout. Mountains in Mississippi? The tallest terrain I have seen in Mississippi are the bluffs in Vicksburg. I guess mountains are relative. I'm sure its going to be a great layout. You have some great structure kits. Do you have any prototype tracks that you like? You could selectively compress some prototype track arrangements to come up with a good plan. You might look into the Alabama state docks for some waterfront ideas.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  07:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct, the J Class was a Norfolk & Western and my layout will be purely freelance. My J Classes shall be transformed to a GM&O for the Gulf Coast Rebel, and another line for the Alton Limited (I may use the Norfolk & Western for that line). The Crescent will be run by either a Southern or a L&N (don't know which engine I shall choose). I know that is not prototypical. The GM&O actually ran diesels but since this is my world I can take what I consider the best of several different times and do a little era bashing (kind of like poetic justice). I have Climaxes and Shays for my logging as well as a Mason Bogie (Forney)which would have been gone or disappearing after the Depression. My vehicles vary from the 30's through the 50's. Though I may study different items or industry for accuracy and ideas, mine is not a historical effort.
PS- today is the Iron Bowl - ROLL TIDE ROLL
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The L&N handled the Crescent through MS. Using Pacifics(4-6-2) a lot.

Edited by - LandNnut on 11/28/2011 08:52:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is perfect. I have an old Pacific that I believe was a Southern but has no markings other than being green with a silver nose. It may need some overhaul though.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  5:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Green is good because I have seen the title of an article in the L&N historical society magazine entitled the L&N's green Pacific.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  07:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, the Crescent set is a beauty, thanks. Doing a little more research I've found that the accounts seem to vary abit. I've read that the Crescent Limited was started in either 1925 by the Southern railway as an all Pullman consist of ten cars. The names of the cars seem to vary some between accounts which leads me to think there may have been extra cars available for maintenance or repair. I'm going to take a look at the Pullman roster to see if there is further info. The original locomotives were ALCO Ps4's originally black Pacifics that were painted the famous green with gold trim and "Crescent Limited" on the tender sides. There is some disparity here on which engines they were. One account says they were engines 1394 and 1396, another account says they were 1372 and 1373. They were painted in 1926 so I wonder if the original black engines were one set and the green the other. L&N did come into the picture later after the war it seems, I think after they were converted to diesel. Please add any insight you may have.
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The information I have is that the L&N handled the Crescent between Montgomery Alabama and New Orleans during the train's lifetime. The L&N locomotive may have been used only part of the time. Many name trains were handled by different railroad over their route. I think you may be referring to the stainless steel stream liner cars that L&N added to the pool after WWII. If you want I will try to get someone to email me the article I mentioned.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are very welcome. I will probably never have a layout that they would work on and my interests have changed over the years.
L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good news, I found a local model railroad club that I think will suit me. The club is SWARM (South West Alabama Railroad Modelers). They are a club of model railroaders of all scales. They meet about once a month to connect with the other members. The individual scales apparently meet among themselves as wanted. They also sponsor the Fairhope Model Train Show, a local show.Looking forward to going to a meeting and see what they have going on. Have to go back to work Monday and have not done anything in the train room yet. We did get a pile of other work done around the house though; tearing out carpeting and replacing it with laminate flooring in a couple of rooms, redoing a bathroom, and a long list of other more minor things.

Edited by - HurleyStation on 01/07/2012 08:50:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11068 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We did get a pile of other work done around the house though; tearing out carpeting and replacing it with laminate flooring in a couple of rooms, redoing a bathroom, and a long list of other more minor things."

Quit playing around with that meaningless stuff and get going on the RR!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Mama ain't happy - nobodies happy
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17658 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  05:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wise opinion, Rhett, very wise.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  10:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much progress at the moment but I did join SWARM (SouthWest Alabama Railroad Modelers) and attended their meeting this past Saturday at the MS Gulf Coast Model Railroaders Club. The MSGCMRC have a layout located in a local mall that they open to the public on Saturday's. It is still in work, there is an N scale layout and an HO layout. We will be having a Model Train Show in Fairhope Alabama on March 16th & 17th. am trying to get a jpg format flyer to post in the events category. Here are some pics from last weeks meet.

I do apologize for some of the poor quality of the pictures. I also took some photos of a few local structures that I think will be fun o scrathbuild. I'll try to get them posted here in the next day or two as well as the the Train Show ad. By the way the MS Gulf Coast Model Railroad Club is located in Gautier, Mississippi at Singing River Mall.

Edited by - HurleyStation on 01/25/2012 10:30:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000