Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  10:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started this topic to place construction projects in n & z scale for anyone. I am working on a n scale fishing boat on a different thread but want to work some structure projects also. I am going to start off with the Northeastern STS storage shed. I haven't done a structure in quite awhile so I figure this will be nice and simple. Adding some starting pics and will update after some progress is made.

Tyson Rayles

USA
11065 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  07:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit Rhett.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
12828 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  12:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to see what you can do with these smaller scale models. [:-thumbu]

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  12:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should make a nice model, Rhett, considering the photo on the box.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing the contents to the picture it looks like a lot of extra work went into the one on the box.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to have lost the other topic "waterfronts, boats and birds" so I will continue documenting the progress of my fishing trawler here.I've made progress on the hull and cabin as seen in the pics. It's been slow trying to get it right. The brown A&I wash on the deck has taken several days. First it was too dark and didn't follow the planking well so I've used several alchol washes to lift some of the ink and get it flowing the way I wanted to highlight the decking. The cabin is a slow project also but I think the end product will be worth the patience. The pics are not quite up to date I've fixed a little here and there,painting the piping and fittings steel and adding some of the A&I wash to the whitewash sides and top. Has anyone experience painting windows on resin castings? I'm thinking black but would like suggestions. Off now to try and extract the Christmas decorations from the attic.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11065 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  3:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boats looking good Rhett! I thought you had a seperate thread on the boats and wondered what happened. I can't find it either but I'm still looking.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  9:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had posted the boat pics above a few days ago on it with a write up on the process, then last night it was gone. I did a search on the forum for it but no luck. I stained the walls of the shed tonight they look good. I didn't see the sheathing lines when I opened it, helps to have your glasses on.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11065 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  06:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett I sent you a PM on the boat thread.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  06:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After debating whether to work on the boat or the shed last night I opted for the shed. I removed, sanded and stained the windows and door with trim and painted the base. I was very impressed with how well the windows came out and how clean the cuts are. I've read criticism of the laser cut windows,but after seeing these I am not sure why. I also got the notion last night to convert this from a plain storage shed to a bicycle repair shop. An area I would bicycle through to go fishing in my youth had some businesses housed in sheds and garages similar to this.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11065 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  08:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhett I also have been pleased with the laser cut windows and doors.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  09:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with tour garage kit. I've got one of these half assembled somewhere in my stash and remember it being a pretty straight forward build. Your boat is also looking very good. Is it a Sylvan kit?

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  12:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll post some pics probably tommorrow night to show progress. So far it is real straight forward. I haven't fit the pieces together yet, just trying to get everything stained or painted first. The boat is an Artitec fishing trawler I found on E-bay. I have another I found through Langley Miniatures in England. Went to the Artitec website but was not able to purchase direct from them, don't know if it was a computer thing or if you have to go through a distributor, which Langley is. They also have other items of interest. I went to Sylvan but I think they only offered HO. If you are looking for boats in Nscale some sites you may want to check out are: Langley Miniatures, Bluejacket Shipfitters, Model Tech Studios and Sea Port Model Works.
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  9:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was mistaken about Sylvan. They have a nice selection of Nscale marine items and more. When I had looked at their site it was a fast look during my lunchbreak. I saw the picture of the Great Lakes Freighter there but missed the list of other items along the side of the page.
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1520 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  1:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a Sylvan 'Railroad Tug Boat' and a Seaport 'Work Boat/Lighter', which both look like nice little kits but I haven't started building either, and probably won't because I switched back to HO scale (for the most part). I do enjoy following along these kind of build projects though. Looking forward to the next round of updates.

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  12:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll get a bit done tonight I hope, too tired the last couple of days to get into it. I learned a long time ago (6th grade) that trying to work while tired or fustrated is a sure way to screw something up. Cody, I hope I can do well enough to maybe inspire you to do those models, maybe get you to turn back from the "dark side":-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000