Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make a static grass applicator with an electric fly swatter
There have been different types of home made static grass applicators being passed around. I made my applicator, and posted it for you to see. I got my idea from this website;
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5A1DBFF403C22322

I started with an electronic insect zapper, item # 40122 from Harbor Freight Tools for $ 2.99, a kitchen strainer from a Dollar Store, and an alligator clip from my shop parts box with a length of wire. Parts picture below. First, I unscrewed the zapper and pulled the yellow paddle away from the black handle. The two wires that went to the paddle are now going to be used for attaching to the strainer. The top wire goes to the alligator clip, and the bottom wire goes to the strainer screen. The kitchen strainer is cut from its handle, and used in place of the yellow zapper paddle. I cut two pieces of .080 styrene and punched holes for the screw mounts of the zapper handle to go through. These, along with the strainer will make up the thickness of the removed yellow paddle. I then placed the strainer over the two screw posts with one piece of styrene, and used super glue and baking soda as mounting glue. A piece of green 22 gauge wire and an alligator clip was soldered to the neg. wire of the zapper, and the pos. wire was attached to the strainer screen. The zapper handle was screwed back together, and a static grass applicator was born.
This project took more time to take the pictures than did the entire build start to finish.
The grass applicator works well for the money spent to make it. You will find that you have to be closer to the layout shaking the static grass out to stand up, and it does take a little longer to cover areas than the commercial types. But for the price, and what I have to do, I donít care if it takes a life time to put down the static grass on my layout. I used to put down static grass, by rubbing a piece of Styrofoam block on my arm and waving it over the static grass to make it stand up. If nothing else, this new applicator will help keep the hair on my arms. If you have a friend, or a club, where you can get a hold of the Noch grass applicator, then thatís the way to go. But if you are alone like me, and not in a rush, this works just fine. Have fun!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1974 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  11:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend and I each made one a while ago and it works great.
Took about 45 minutes to make all told!

Our method of construction is as Louis has described.
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railmus

My friend and I each made one a while ago and it works great.
Took about 45 minutes to make all told!

Our method of construction is as Louis has described.

Thanks for replying John, and leaving a comment.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
6700 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  09:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou,
How about some pictures of the final results with grass standing up on the layout.
I was led to believe that the flyswater didn't have enough charge to make it stand up.
Go to Top of Page

bitlerisvj
Fireman

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems this one is made to work with 3 volts. I wonder if you eliminated the batteries and used a power pack. Would the static generator handle 6 or maybe even 12 volts?
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Lou,
How about some pictures of the final results with grass standing up on the layout.
I was led to believe that the flyswater didn't have enough charge to make it stand up.

Go to Top of Page

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice tutorial. So simple and CHEAP! I don't see why a wall-wart couldn't be adapted.

Sort of off topic, but those fly swatters work pretty good at zapping mosquitoes. Kind of fun too.

Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  12:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lou,

Thanks Vic and Russ for your comments and posting.

For you Dave the sky is the limit. I donít think I got pictures that do this technique justice, but here goes. Below is a diorama type landform to go around a bridge abutment on my layout. I put down a 50/50 mix of Elmerís glue and water. Then inserted a small nail into the ground, filled the strainer with a fine static grass flock, connected up the alligator clip to the nail and turned on the applicator and shook the static grass over the area between the sign, tree and tree stump. The pictures show the best I could get, where in the pictures you see the static grass applied on the left side of the diorama, and not used on the right side. I have been told that if you use hail spray on the applied grass, then do a second application that the grass pops up even more.
Just for added information, we know this unit isnít that powerful, but I must tell you I accidentally had a hold of the applicator screen and the alligator clip swung and hit my under forearm. That is one stunt I hope never happens again. Try that, and you will see that even at that power, this thing works.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 11/16/2010 4:48:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

LVN
Fireman

Canada
5293 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Louis. I have the Noch and just love it. Clever version you have built. But what are you going to do about the Flies. Great seeing you and your son at CSS.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RonH56
Fireman

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  1:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Louis!

I was just saying the other day I gotta do something about an applicator, I have been procrastinating on building the $20 version previously featured only cause I'm to lazy to order the stuff. This is even better. I can't wait to try it!

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  1:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting tutorial, might be a project one of these days, btw, I couldn't see past the sign all the way to the beach.....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
6700 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou.
Karl, I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure Lou keeps those pictures for himself.
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVN

Very nice Louis. I have the Noch and just love it. Clever version you have built. But what are you going to do about the Flies. Great seeing you and your son at CSS.

Thanks Chris, I'd love to have the Noch, but it's not in my budget. I had bought two just in case I messed one up, so the flies still don't have a chance.
It was great seeing you and Lela as well again this year. However, I'm concerned about next years Craftsman Show due to the Officials spiltting apart, and doing different shows on their own. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
12973 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou!!!
That works pretty kool!!!
The video attests to that!
I aint in no hurry either......
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonH56

Awesome Louis!

I was just saying the other day I gotta do something about an applicator, I have been procrastinating on building the $20 version previously featured only cause I'm to lazy to order the stuff. This is even better. I can't wait to try it!

Hi Ron, thanks for your comments. I looked for you at CSS this year, but I guess it wasn't in your schedule. I hope work has picked up for you this year.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Interesting tutorial, might be a project one of these days, btw, I couldn't see past the sign all the way to the beach.....

quote:

Thanks Lou.
Karl, I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure Lou keeps those pictures for himself.

Thanks Karl and Dave.
I didn't post the beach pictures because that would give the Mod's something to erase.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  2:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Thanks Lou!!!
That works pretty kool!!!